The Bills have a few holes to fill

chef4131

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would amend that to say that it would certainly be harder and probably more expensive to sign a quality wide receiver for a team without a QB.

I agree with this.

However I also agree with this.

Regardless, I think with few exceptions, you don't get your quarterback before your wide receiver. Especially this year where there are seemingly no exceptional wide receivers of the caliber of Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones.

By that logic however, any WR drafted in the first round is gonna succeed, even if he's a 4th round talent.

You still have to be able to identify which individuals are likely to play at a high level and justify the pick.

The point that I was trying to make is that it is easier to identify WR talent (similar to QB) because of the modern college offenses. The guys coming in are more prepared. Teams are not missing much on WR lately (with a few exceptions). The guys that are projected as 1st round talents have tended to play a large role once they reached the NFL.

Levitre is the only significant loss this offseason IMO, and he was a guy who played a low value position who got a huge contract. Honestly with the likely compensatory draft pick, I'd rather the Titans pay him $8 million a year than us.

As for Gibson, why overpay for a #3 receiver? Why did the Rams, a receiver poor team, let him walk without even attempting to re-sign him?

The Bills need to fill out the roster for sure and they only have 6 draft picks. Certainly I'd hope they sign another couple of free agents.

But the sky is not falling as you've characterized.

No? Gotta disagree SJB. In fact, it looks as if it already has.

Levitre was a top guard, and we lost a decent backup. Now is the time to sell tickets.

When they hired Marrone, I posted my fear of cronyism (Brandon and Marrone are connected). Watch and see what happens in this draft. Nassib, good or bad, would sell more tickets than any other college player because he played at Syracuse. This is simply my opinion. And he MIGHT be good.

But my fear is that this offseason has been, and will be more about profit than team building.

They might as well start getting Nassib's jersey ready.

Edited by Bill from NYC

The point that I was trying to make is that it is easier to identify WR talent (similar to QB) because of the modern college offenses. The guys coming in are more prepared. Teams are not missing much on WR lately (with a few exceptions). The guys that are projected as 1st round talents have tended to play a large role once they reached the NFL.

I agree with your point.

While neither QB or WR seem to be viewed as strengths of this draft, I still would prefer that the team spend its top pick on a QB than a WR.

Because of personal biases, I'd also rather draft a pass rusher than a WR although I doubt that will happen. I would rather see WR than ILB or OL though.

Levitre was a top guard, and we lost a decent backup. Now is the time to sell tickets.

When they hired Marrone, I posted my fear of cronyism (Brandon and Marrone are connected). Watch and see what happens in this draft. Nassib, good or bad, would sell more tickets than any other college player because he played at Syracuse. This is simply my opinion. And he MIGHT be good.

But my fear is that this offseason has been, and will be more about profit than team building.

We shall see soon enough, Bill. In about 40+ days.

Maybe the mods could merge all the "sky is falling" threads into one so that all the people who feel the need to create multiple threads can have a singular place to come and vent to feel better before they jump of the ledge

x2 :thumbsup: F5 is useless this season, just get over it.

Edited by bowery4

Still with the # 1 #2 #3 ?

Lets just get a couple receivers that the defense has to respect.

If you have to coach against them and alot resources that might be enough to break the other facets of the game open.

Stevie has the respect of the league and corners. Thats an educated opinion sir and nothing less.

He demands attention.

Even moreso with a real QB.

Lexus are expensive and coddle the driver. Focus gets **** done. especially the hatchback.

dont get me going about the ST model or the RS from europe.

Focuses are very good value with high upside with good coaching

Yeah, but the focus is not sexy.

Still with the # 1 #2 #3 ?

Lets just get a couple receivers that the defense has to respect.

If you have to coach against them and alot resources that might be enough to break the other facets of the game open.

Stevie has the respect of the league and corners. Thats an educated opinion sir and nothing less.

He demands attention.

Even moreso with a real QB.

Lexus are expensive and coddle the driver. Focus gets **** done. especially the hatchback.

dont get me going about the ST model or the RS from europe.

Focuses are very good value with high upside with good coaching

Yeah, but the focus is not sexy.

Maybe the mods could merge all the "sky is falling" threads into one so that all the people who feel the need to create multiple threads can have a singular place to come and vent to feel better before they jump of the ledge

Welll if there was any kind of proof to the fact that we were getting better & had the good players still around to prove through good FO moves these type of threads would stop.

But seeing as the Bills powers that be continue to do what they do these type of threads will continue .

I love the Bills & a lot of times don't post things b/c it's says a lot of the same things but they don't give us anything positive to talk about . Last year the Mario thing was great then the D sucked , 2 steps forward & 3 steps back !!

And this year we don't have any real cap room to do anything so we lose players & watch the Fins & Pats get stronger & stronger with our players we had to let go

In 2004 we were desperate to find a starting QB (sound familiar) we traded back into Round 1 (with Dallas) and drafted losman at #22. With this trade we gave up our #1 pick in 2005. Dallas used our pick #20 on a DL. Marcus Spears

What scares me is giving up our 2005 pick we missed out on drafting Aaron Rodgers. I can see the Bills repeating this same scenerio, reaching back into the first round to "over draft" a QB and give up a chance to draft a franchise QB next year.

I understand that we need a QB, but lets be smart on how we get one--

It does fit the profile doesn't it ??

I agree with your point.

While neither QB or WR seem to be viewed as strengths of this draft, I still would prefer that the team spend its top pick on a QB than a WR.

Because of personal biases, I'd also rather draft a pass rusher than a WR although I doubt that will happen. I would rather see WR than ILB or OL though.

We shall see soon enough, Bill. In about 40+ days.

I hear you. This team has holes and the bottom line is that I hope that they get value withall 6 picks. In order to get really good you usually have to be pretty bad. We have been bad for a while and I don't see a sudden turn this year. Draft guys that can contribute when this team is ready to contend.

Bill, Fans have been so battered that everything that is done is seen through the prism of the painful prior years. Every transaction such as the hiring of the HC doesn't mean that it is a failed decision before it is has been allowed to perform. Will Marrone be a successful HC? I don't know. But especially on the defensive side he seems to have hired a credible staff. Marrone hired Hackett, a young coach, who worked with him at Syracuse. Is it another example of stutlfying cornyism or is he hiring a good young OC who has refreshing ideas instead of the old guard rigid approach to play calling and offensive concepts?

To put it very mildly I have little reagard for Nix as a GM. It didn't take long to realize that he is ill-equipped for the job. But even with my very critical view of him as a GM so far this offseason he has made a lot of right moves. It seems every transaction was sensible, such as releasing Barnett, Wilson, Nelson, Jones, resigning of McKelvin and allowing Levitre to go due to cap and contract reasons. I'm certainly not suggesting that there have been any dramatic changes made by the front officee, but what I am saying is that they are doing things the right way. The franchise is acting in a more professional and less mercurial manner. So far they haven't made a T.O. type marketing decision to substitute for a smart personnel decision.

Will the Bills be a playoff team next year? Let's not get silly. There is no quick fix for this hole filled roster. What I'm addressing here in this post has more to do with process than it does with players. If this franchise functions as a more normal and stable franchise instead of a franchise that panics and goes back and forth in philosophy and staffing then eventually things will work out.

The attached link is a commentary from a writer from Grantland talking to John Murphy on WGR. He is basically saying that the Bills and other smart franchises are taking the right approach toward free agency while the other frenzied franchises might not be taking the smartest approach toward the free agent market.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/72117277/john-murphy-interview-with-bill-barnwell.htm

Will the Bills be a playoff team next year? Let's not get silly. There is no quick fix for this hole filled roster. What I'm addressing here in this post has more to do with process than it does with players. If this franchise functions as a more normal and stable franchise instead of a franchise that panics and goes back and forth in philosophy and staffing then eventually things will work out.

The attached link is a commentary from a writer from Grantland talking to John Murphy on WGR. He is basically saying that the Bills and other smart franchises are taking the right approach toward free agency while the other frenzied franchises might not be taking the smartest approach toward the free agent market.

http://audio.wgr550....ll-barnwell.htm

I like the first bolded. The silence from One Bills Drive is deafening and certainly very different from anything we've seen before. I don't know what it means but aside from not having signed one more value free agent, I'm alright with things so far this offseason. I'm on board with all the player departures.

As to the second bolded, again as of yesterday 10 teams had only made 1 free agent acquisition and 3 teams had made none. As I said yesterday, I believe what's going on in Miami is a NY Jets like circus with the final goal being to get approval for their $400 million stadium upgrade, just like the Jets were trying to sell PSLs. Miami's made a lot of noise but I'm not convinced they've gotten better. Ditto with Tennessee. Philly has been busy and I like their moves the best of all the busy teams. But I'm not really bothered by the Bills' relative inaction to this point.

I like the first bolded. The silence from One Bills Drive is deafening and certainly very different from anything we've seen before. I don't know what it means but aside from not having signed one more value free agent, I'm alright with things so far this offseason. I'm on board with all the player departures.

As to the second bolded, again as of yesterday 10 teams had only made 1 free agent acquisition and 3 teams had made none. As I said yesterday, I believe what's going on in Miami is a NY Jets like circus with the final goal being to get approval for their $400 million stadium upgrade, just like the Jets were trying to sell PSLs. Miami's made a lot of noise but I'm not convinced they've gotten better. Ditto with Tennessee. Philly has been busy and I like their moves the best of all the busy teams. But I'm not really bothered by the Bills' relative inaction to this point.

I'm very confident that the Bills will be signing some additional free agent that will help to fill out the roster. It takes a little fortitude to be patient but the worst thing the for front office could do is to feel pressure that they are being left out of the market and force a number of bad player purchases. There is still plenty of time to add pieces.

They key for success for this franchise, as it is for every successful franchise, is the draft. If we come out of this draft with a legitimate franchise qb prospect then the dynamics change for the better for this bediviled (done by its own ineptitude) franchise. There is no secret about our organization's focus on getting a qb prospect out of this draft. I wish the urgency for a qb search would have happened sooner, but you can only act from where you are and not from where you wish you were.

The key to the success for any franchise is by being competent on a daily basis. Offseason big ticket splashers rarely correlate with in-season success. The Skins are a prime example of that. Even their owner has learned that his extravagant "big ticket" approach has brought him little success on the field. Under Shanahan the old way has been jettisoned for his more value calculation approach to its transactions.