The Bills have a few holes to fill

chef4131

We're not. You didn;t hear. The sky is falling! DOOMED. AARRGGGHH.

Ok just kidding, but all of these threads are getting over the top. I was hoping for a free agent acquisition, but doesn't look like it yet. There are a few decent receivers in the draft. No Calvin Johnson's, but decent WR. Certainly better than the reach we made last year with Graham.

Yeah I think they wanted T.Y. instead of T.J.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would people really be that surprised if we took a WR with our first pick? There is only 1 on the roster! It looks like Geno will be gone (and possibly Barkley). I think that Patterson is as real a possibility as anyone at that point. You can turn around and get Manuel or Nasdib at 41 or in the late 1st. If Geno is available I think that he will be the pick but no one should be shocked if it is a WR. The majority of the star WR in the NFL were 1st rounders. There are a few exceptions (Colston, Stevie, Wallace, Welker) but if you look at any position there will be some stars that slipped through the cracks during the draft. This team lacks talent in a lot of places and a physically gifted WR is not a luxury pick it is a need.

Cordarelle Patterson will either be a Bill or a Jet. The guy is going to put the fear of God into NFL defenses. He may not even make it to the Bills. Detroit is bringing him in for a look.

The NFL is becoming a pinball game. Guys that can take it to the house like Patterson are gold. The NFL is ruling out almost all contact from defensive players (exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

If the Bills draft Patterson and somehow find their franchise QB, they will be instant Superbowl contenders.

We're not. You didn;t hear. The sky is falling! DOOMED. AARRGGGHH.

Ok just kidding, but all of these threads are getting over the top. I was hoping for a free agent acquisition, but doesn't look like it yet. There are a few decent receivers in the draft. No Calvin Johnson's, but decent WR. Certainly better than the reach we made last year with Graham.

maybe you are right the sky is falling

Lets see

we need for sure

1 starting LB ...maybe 2

1 starting QB

1 starting receiver

2 starting guards (Levitre and Reinhart)

1 starting safety (if you don't believe Searcy has made it)

1 starting CB...Aaron Williams didn't make it an Terrance McGee is gone...

And ll that to just stay even...

So scanning our last succesfful free agent period who turned out???? Mario?? Merriman....Barnett, we just cut him....Ruvell Martin...Morrisson,,,

Scanning our last few drafts how many players became starters year 1....hummmmmmm .....1 at CB,

Just sayin'

And Buddy has everyone scouting QB's and picks as was told to us by Bucky Gleason...so FA have to wait...which means based on last year we spent all our time on FA (Mario) and no time on the draft....ugh

These are the WR picked in the 1 round since 2009: DHB, Crabtree, Harvin, Maclin, Nicks, Britt, Dez, Demaryius Thomas, Baldwin, AJ Green, Julio, Blackmon, Floyd, Kendall Wright, and AJ Jenkins.

Is there anyone on that list that you wold not want! Still questions about last years rookies but other than that it is a pretty solid list.

Since college football started playing the spread and these NFL style offenses there have not been too many misses in the early part of the draft. Worse things could happen than picking a WR at 8.

maybe you are right the sky is falling

Lets see

we need for sure

1 starting LB ...maybe 2

1 starting QB

1 starting receiver

2 starting guards (Levitre and Reinhart)

1 starting safety (if you don't believe Searcy has made it)

1 starting CB...Aaron Williams didn't make it an Terrance McGee is gone...

And ll that to just stay even...

So scanning our last succesfful free agent period who turned out???? Mario?? Merriman....Barnett, we just cut him....Ruvell Martin...Morrisson,,,

Scanning our last few drafts how many players became starters year 1....hummmmmmm .....1 at CB,

Just sayin'

And Buddy has everyone scouting QB's and picks as was told to us by Bucky Gleason...so FA have to wait...which means based on last year we spent all our time on FA (Mario) and no time on the draft....ugh

I`m with you 100% on this. #1 pick coming our way next year.

No quality WR will sign with a team that hasn't got a QB

I would amend that to say that it would certainly be harder and probably more expensive to sign a quality wide receiver for a team without a QB.

I want to say this: god forbid Stevie Johnson gets hurt. Who, then, is the number one receiver on the roster? Ruvell Martin or T.J. Graham? The Bills need to sign some vetren receivers pronto. Otherwise Nix will need to draft at least three receivers, and bring some at least two more as UFA. This is getting ridiculous. David Clowney isn't going to cut it, Buddy. What other scrubs from SD can you bring in?

There are four huge holes on this team now, inside linebacker, guard, QB, wide receiver, which Nix has done nothing to address via free agency. We might be bottoming out and putting ourselves in the position for the first pick of 2014. And no, this is not an OMG THE SKY IS FALLING THREAD. This is the reality that we don't have any receivers or QBs on the roster. There is no way we can fill both needs in the draft.

I agree with this.

Receiver is a very overrated position. Good QBs make receivers better. Brady played with scrubs for most of his career. IMO, receiver is a position when we can find guys later. I'd hate to burn a high pick on a receiver because very few times are the difference in a team's W-L total. The best receiver in the game, Calvin Johnson, has played in one playoff game.

However I also agree with this.

Regardless, I think with few exceptions, you don't get your quarterback before your wide receiver. Especially this year where there are seemingly no exceptional wide receivers of the caliber of Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones.

These are the WR picked in the 1 round since 2009: DHB, Crabtree, Harvin, Maclin, Nicks, Britt, Dez, Demaryius Thomas, Baldwin, AJ Green, Julio, Blackmon, Floyd, Kendall Wright, and AJ Jenkins.

Is there anyone on that list that you wold not want! Still questions about last years rookies but other than that it is a pretty solid list.

Since college football started playing the spread and these NFL style offenses there have not been too many misses in the early part of the draft. Worse things could happen than picking a WR at 8.

By that logic however, any WR drafted in the first round is gonna succeed, even if he's a 4th round talent.

You still have to be able to identify which individuals are likely to play at a high level and justify the pick.

Well, lets see. We lose a couple linebackers, a couple DB's, a couple O-lineman and a couple receivers. we replace them with 1 OLB. Looks like everything Brandon said when he took over was garbage. What did he say something like. We will try and improve this roster. Have competition for our players; something like that. Well, He and Buddy Nix are looking more and more like a bunch of cheap yards right now. Brandon Gibson would have been a good addition. When do they think Free Agency starts? We have a lot of holes to fill on this roster.

Geeeeshhhhhh..

WR is deep in this draft. QB is not. I would be all for drafting Womack or best available OL at #8 and trying to fix Levitre catastrophe, then spending next 2 picks on WR(Woods, Hunter, Martin, etc) and devoting rest of draft to D and depth, and finding 1 developmental QB and 3rd string RB. Therefore shoring up defense, and lines, and WR. And then waiting for next years real QB class. If we draft Smith or Barkley and they suck and we are stuck with them, and miss out on Manziel or Murray because we are committed to a tomato can that we overdrafted and overpayed- this franchise will be screwed the next 5 years

Dude, how many draft picks do you think we have?

I think part of the successful philosophy of recently improved teams is to have multiple shots on goal - SEA with Wilson, Flynn, Jackson (had been serviceable in 2011). 49ers with Smith (#1 pick, played well in 2011) plus Kaepernick, WAS with RGIII and Cousins. The good news is that because of the rookie cap, the days of having to bet the farm to sign a 1st round pick such as Bradford or Stafford are gone, so it's possible to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round and draft one again next year without breaking the bank - IF we are willing to fill gaps with genuine talent in FA. That seems to be something we are unwilling to do.

Well, lets see. We lose a couple linebackers, a couple DB's, a couple O-lineman and a couple receivers. we replace them with 1 OLB. Looks like everything Brandon said when he took over was garbage. What did he say something like. We will try and improve this roster. Have competition for our players; something like that. Well, He and Buddy Nix are looking more and more like a bunch of cheap yards right now. Brandon Gibson would have been a good addition. When do they think Free Agency starts? We have a lot of holes to fill on this roster.

Geeeeshhhhhh..

Levitre is the only significant loss this offseason IMO, and he was a guy who played a low value position who got a huge contract. Honestly with the likely compensatory draft pick, I'd rather the Titans pay him $8 million a year than us.

As for Gibson, why overpay for a #3 receiver? Why did the Rams, a receiver poor team, let him walk without even attempting to re-sign him?

The Bills need to fill out the roster for sure and they only have 6 draft picks. Certainly I'd hope they sign another couple of free agents.

But the sky is not falling as you've characterized.

But the Bills just can't. The Bills are trying to just get mid tier guys and draft, problem is their coaching isn't what NE's is, their scouting isn't what NE's is and ownership sure as hell isn't as good as New England's.

It has been said 'great teams (insert whatever the Bills plan is) do the same thing' Problem is they do it AFTER they are great. This team has never (outside of the Polian era) been able to consistently draft worth a damn. They take DB's or RB's when we need QB and lines. It's like they can't get out of their own way.

As for as Offensive FA's, no one is coming here without a QB. We have been able to sign some defensive talent throughout the years but those guys thought we had a chance and had a QB. Now everyone knows we don't have a QB and its a QB league.

The bigger impact FA's are almost gone and we don't have a QB. I am not trying to be negative nancy here, but it almost seems like their plan is to honestly just write off 2013 for some reason. It is getting tougher to try and figure out wtf these guys are doing other than that.