Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

I don't wanna be that guy that makes excuses for Kolb, but to be fair, that Cardinals O-line has got to be the WORST line I have ever witnessed on an NFL team in my life. The worst...

That said, I don't mind a Kolb signing as long as we stick to drafting a QB with one of our 1st two picks.

+1

Starting the season with Jackson and Corp would be frightening. Adding a rookie to the mix is still very concerning. Bringing Kolb in to battle it out with TJax in case the rookie is slow to adapt to the NFL (if he ever does) makes sense to me.

Seattle last year signed Flynn but still drafted Wilson. When you are in dire need of a QB, you look high and low.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd much rather just sign Kolb than trade a pick for Flynn. There is a chance (albeit a small one) that Kolb is actually decent, you can't really judge him on last year because the Cards o-line was so bad. I mean even Chris Kelsay was able to get a safety against them haha.

I don't know much about the guy but I don't think that we can go into the season with Aaron Corp as our 3rd stringer, plus are we even sure Tarvaris is a legit backup? Its not so much that we need "mentors" for whoever we draft but rather just decent competition for training camp and practices.

IMO from watching both, Flynn is better and there really no doubt about it. That said neither neither is a sure thing and both have a chance to be a legit starter, so its really a matter of value. If is Flynn for a 4th or less I'd go with him, giving us the freedom on our first 3 picks to address other needs. 3rd I'm indifferent. 2nd or 1st I'd go with kolb.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

IMO from watching both, Flynn is better and there really no doubt about it. That said neither neither is a sure thing and both have a chance to be a legit starter, so its really a matter of value. If is Flynn for a 4th or less I'd go with him, giving us the freedom on our first 3 picks to address other needs. 3rd I'm indifferent. 2nd or 1st I'd go with kolb.

Problem is, there just isn't much film on Flynn. He's looked good, but he's played 2 games with a decent OL and a solid cast of targets. A lot of QB have looked good in 2 games. If he's really the all-star he looked in 2011 game (6 TD, 518 yds) it's kind of hard to see how Wilson beat him out. Therefore I conclude he isn't all that on a daily basis.

Gouge is Seattle gets 2 picks, 2013 and conditional 2014, haven't seen which round. How does 2 draft picks grab ya?

Starting the season with Jackson and Corp would be frightening. Adding a rookie to the mix is still very concerning. Bringing Kolb in to battle it out with TJax in case the rookie is slow to adapt to the NFL (if he ever does) makes sense to me.

Seattle last year signed Flynn but still drafted Wilson. When you are in dire need of a QB, you look high and low.

I really don't understand this POV. Jackson is respectable. He's not "the man", but he can play NFL football. He's tough, and he's especially good at directing the run-first O they had in Seattle. Why is it frightening to start the season with him? 2011 in Seattle, he won respect - they were 7-7, playing hurt he racked up >3000 yds and 14 TDs in 14 games, >60% completion. To think Kolb would be significantly better is air-dreaming IMO. He's been in the league 6 years, he had his chance to start in AZ, and like Fitz he didn't measure up. Yes their line sucks but so did ours Fitz' first year and also been plagued by injuries. Kolb had Fitzgerald to throw to. He hasn't held up, and he hasn't stepped up.

Flynn is the unknown factor. In 2 games he looked great. He might have a higher ceiling. Then again, he might be a flash in the pan. Lots of QB look stellar in 1 game or 2. We haven't seen enough to tell.

+1

+1 Was just about to post the same. It's the best we can do for now.

Problem is, there just isn't much film on Flynn. He's looked good, but he's played 2 games with a decent OL and a solid cast of targets. A lot of QB have looked good in 2 games. If he's really the all-star he looked in 2011 game (6 TD, 518 yds) it's kind of hard to see how Wilson beat him out. Therefore I conclude he isn't all that on a daily basis.

Gouge is Seattle gets 2 picks, 2013 and conditional 2014, haven't seen which round. How does 2 draft picks grab ya?

I really don't understand this POV. Jackson is respectable. He's not "the man", but he can play NFL football. He's tough, and he's especially good at directing the run-first O they had in Seattle. Why is it frightening to start the season with him? 2011 in Seattle, he won respect - they were 7-7, playing hurt he racked up >3000 yds and 14 TDs in 14 games, >60% completion. To think Kolb would be significantly better is air-dreaming IMO. He's been in the league 6 years, he had his chance to start in AZ, and like Fitz he didn't measure up. Yes their line sucks but so did ours Fitz' first year and also been plagued by injuries. Kolb had Fitzgerald to throw to. He hasn't held up, and he hasn't stepped up.

Flynn is the unknown factor. In 2 games he looked great. He might have a higher ceiling. Then again, he might be a flash in the pan. Lots of QB look stellar in 1 game or 2. We haven't seen enough to tell.

You can make a greater claim about not having seen enough of any qb in the draft at the pro level, yet teams use high picks on them all time. What I've seen of him strikes me as excellent. Smart, accurate, moves well in pocket, can throw on the run, has good zip on the ball, and very confident and competitive. Had that "it" factor of a montana or Brady. The only other qb I saw go from backup to starter that impressed me immmediately with similar qualities as Brady.

And actually its easy to see why Wilson won starting job in Seattle; flynn was hurt in camp and Wilson is damn good.

If it requires picks over 2 drafts id measure them against the 1 draft scale I already provided.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Well I didn't really see the point in the Bills picking up another veteran QB because it could impede the development of the rookie QB-of-the-future but this is probably a sound signing.

Signing Kolb didn't cost the team any draft picks and the guy has some credentials and is probably an upgrade over TJax.

I really preferred to go all-in with the rookie QB but bottom line, our QB situation as a result of this signing is more solid than it was.

I like this signing as long as it's cheap. Kolb was a hot commodity last before last year and showed good signs of being a #1. Behind that Arizona line, Brees would have looked bad.

I see this as only an upside signing. Don't expect him to be our starter and he won't be paid as one. We can still draft our QB and maybe Kolb impresses us

Well I didn't really see the point in the Bills picking up another veteran QB because it could impede the development of the rookie QB-of-the-future but this is probably a sound signing.

Signing Kolb didn't cost the team any draft picks and the guy has some credentials and is probably an upgrade over TJax.

I really preferred to go all-in with the rookie QB but bottom line, our QB situation as a result of this signing is more solid than it was.