#8 for # 23 and #25?

No one else has posted the idea so I thought I would. Straight up our pick for Minnesota's two number 1's seems unfair. If they kicked in a fourth this year or a third next I would make that trade. At 23 or 25 they would still get a top tier LB, OL, or WR, and would likely have their choice of any QB not named Smith.

To me if Smith is not there this would be slam dunk choice. It would be a coin flip if he was there. We just have so many holes to fill and the QB talent worthy of a first round so questionable, this would give us 3 total picks in the low 2nd and first round. The talent at that level is a great value this year. The talent between the top 5 and the mid 2nd has so little difference, we could conceivably still get 3 quality starters, or two quality starters and a shot at a possible starting QB. Although I think Smith can be a passable starting QB, but I don't see much hope of him being a Franchise QB. The rest of the QBs are all long shots as Franchise QBs as well.

I'd love this trade or one with SF's two picks and another high rounder.

I hope we trade back too, But I'm hoping we go after some 1st round picks for next year along the way. Vikings might be a good choice. They could take a tumble this year ( no Percy Harvin/ team chem) . Wuold love to have some ammo to be in the Johnny hunt in 2014.

According to the draft value chart we'd probably owe Minny a 4th. http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

I'd make that trade though. I think Buddy overvalues the draft board and staying put. If you "stay with the board" there is always players you have ranked and you take the appropriate ones at #23 & #25. With only six picks in the draft I think the Bills need to try and maximize their return. Once you get outside the top 5 the draft is a crapshoot anyway, especially this one.

I can't see it happening...Minnesota needs a game-breaking WR and a solid cover corner, and neither of those positions offer a stud at the 8th pick that would entice them to move up...I'm not counting Milliner, as I'm almost certain he'll be gone by then, but if--by some miracle--he were around, that may be a possibility.

I think it's far more likely that the Vikings stay put and draft a WR/CB combo like Tavon Austin @ 23 and Jonathan Banks or Desmond Trufant @ 25.

Much better value than moving up for WRs like Patterson or Allen or a CB like Rhodes.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't see it happening...Minnesota needs a game-breaking WR and a solid cover corner, and neither of those positions offer a stud at the 8th pick that would entice them to move up...I'm not counting Milliner, as I'm almost certain he'll be gone by then, but if--by some miracle--he were around, that may be a possibility.

I think it's far more likely that the Vikings stay put and draft a WR/CB combo like Tavon Austin @ 23 and Jonathan Banks or Desmond Trufant @ 25.

Much better value than moving up for WRs like Patterson or Allen or a CB like Rhodes.

Just my 2 cents.

They could replace with Patterson...But then they just gave up Harvin for a 1st rounder and then have to give 2 first rounders to get a rookie seems a little bizarre. Unless they see value in pass rushers at #8, I don't see them doing this trade.

I think they might if Milner or Jones were on the board. It only takes one team ahead of us to do something unexpected and a guy could fall. What if Arizona takes Barkley? What if Jones is gone and Jordan is there but Petine doesn't think he fits our defense? If I am Minnesota I don't make that trade either as I always want to move down. It would take somebody like Millner falling.

I'd do it. So many holes on this team at starting positions and no depth either. More picks the better, I'd kill to be SF right now. Traded for Harvin and still have 13 picks in the draft. You might get an impact player at 8 or you might draft Aaron Maybin or Mike Williams at 8. They'd get two needs taken care of in the first round (LB/WR) and then can draft a QB the 2nd and feel comfortable about it even if it's a bit of a reach.

This would most likely allow the Bills to get one of the top 3 QBs & top 3 MLBs in the first rd, and with the depth at WR there will be a big time player available there in the 2nd.

Edit: I doubt MN would take the deal b/c the #25 pick is a lot to give up to move ahead 15 spots, but hey, we could get lucky.

Edited by Rob's House

No one else has posted the idea so I thought I would. Straight up our pick for Minnesota's two number 1's seems unfair. If they kicked in a fourth this year or a third next I would make that trade. At 23 or 25 they would still get a top tier LB, OL, or WR, and would likely have their choice of any QB not named Smith.

As we are speaking hypotheticals - I wouldn't be against that trade if (1) The Qb we want is gone by #8 and (2) the next best QB option is valued towards the end of the first round. With so many needs (yet again), I am sure we will find plenty of positions to choose from - QB, LB, WR, DE

We've had these threads for 3 straight years....then Buddy sends in his pick with 10 minutes left on the clock and picks his guy.

True but I am hoping rumors of a gentle shift in power to Whaley is true and perhaps Marrone would be a bit more forceful in stating his preferences

+1. Yeah let's trade Harvin and gain a #1 then trade it and our own #1 to move to #8 and Draft Patterson who has less talent and may be just as much of a headache. Minnesota never does it... Never.

I tend to agree with you, but your analysis ignores Harvin's red flags - openly complaining about the QB, fighting with the HC, can't stay on the field, wants $16m/yr. Sometimes you take what you can get. Personally, I'm skeptical of Patterson, but if they see him as a blue chip WR it might be an option for them to address their biggest hole with their top prospect in the draft.