Boldin traded to 49ers

BILLS #1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great deal for the 49'ers but this deal just SCREAMS of brother to brother collusion.

No way the NFL can't look at this trade.

Why? The Ravens were going to cut him. It's a good move for both teams and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward or unusual about it at all. If you had to just choose a team that would make this trade, without knowing the names of the coaches, the 49ers would easily top the list, having a top flight team and offense, cap room, and no clear #2 WR.

ravens are gonna be regretting that flacco contract for a looong time

We'll see. Losing Boldin does hurt a possession offense, but they spread the ball around a bit between their wideouts/te and ray rice. This isn't the same Boldin that had 100 catch seasons in Arizona. Still a very good player, but not the be all end all

He only county less than 7 mil against the cap this year so his contract is not the issue.

I imagine he was referring to the fact that perhaps Flacco is not all that great, just pretty good who had a good year, and that guys like Boldin were the reason Flacco looked good and the Ravens won the Super Bowl, and losing guys like that will make Flacco look rather pedestrian and not worth 120 million.

I'm not sure it's illegal collusion anyway. The issues that come up tend to be teams colluding against the players, which is prohibited by their contract. I don't know of the other teams have a right to complain about an iffy trade. Boldin might be able to, but he's not wronged here, since it means he gets to keep his contract.

Boldin already siad he was thinking of retiring after the Superbowl if he was released from the Ravens. Theres no way he was going to accept a trade to a team thats not a contender. So the Ravens choice was to keep him (something they weren't going to do because of cap restrictions), trade him somewhere he wanted to go to, or let him go and he would retire.

The Ravens got something for someone who would have otherwise left for nothing, so its not a bad deal. I'm sure that with the Harbaughs coaches of both teams, they helped get a deal worked out that both teams and player could live with

Boldin undoubtedly had a say in which teams he'd agree to be traded to (i.e., SB contenders). We don't fit that bill...

No they don't. That's why players always say "this is a business" because there is no personal loyalty from franchise to player. Teams do whatever is in the best interest of their franchise.

On another note, IMO, this was a stupid trade by the Ravens. They just played the 49ers in the super bowl and now they send one of their star players to them. The Harbaugh brothers were involved in this trade and clearly the 49ers are getting value because Jim Harbaugh has inside info on Boldin from his brother John. Otherwise the 49ers would not have made the move. Very stupid by the Ravens.

Edited by The Voice of Truth

No they don't. That's why players always say "this is a business" because there is no personal loyalty from franchise to player. Teams do whatever is in the best interest of their franchise.

On another note, IMO, this was a stupid trade by the Ravens. They just played the 49ers in the super bowl and now they send one of their star players to them. The Harbaugh brothers were involved in this trade and clearly the 49ers are getting value because Jim Harbaugh has inside info on Boldin from his brother John. Otherwise the 49ers would not have made the move. Very stupid by the Ravens.

Getting a 6th rounder for someone you were going to cut and get nothing for just on the chance you may meet them in the Super Bowl again and that player would beat you is a bad move? It's a great move for the Ravens. They got a 6th round pick for something they were getting nothing for.

The Ravens are always in the hunt because Ozzie Newsome is probably the best GM in the business.

Getting a 6th rounder for someone you were going to cut and get nothing for just on the chance you may meet them in the Super Bowl again and that player would beat you is a bad move? It's a great move for the Ravens. They got a 6th round pick for something they were getting nothing for.

The Ravens are always in the hunt because Ozzie Newsome is probably the best GM in the business.

No, it was a dumb move. There is a significant chance the niners will get back to the super bowl. Boldin is a huge playmaker and was absolutely crucial to the Ravens playoff success. They overpaid Flacco and therefore couldn't keep the players they needed around them. The Ravens will not be as good in the future. Watch.

No, it was a dumb move. There is a significant chance the niners will get back to the super bowl. Boldin is a huge playmaker and was absolutely crucial to the Ravens playoff success. They overpaid Flacco and therefore couldn't keep the players they needed around them. The Ravens will not be as good in the future. Watch.

But they didn't want to pay him 6 million a year, and have two WRs in line to play. They were going to cut him. What do you think was the wise move? Paying him 6 million this year to be a #3 WR? Cutting him and getting nothing for it? What was dumb about it? I can understand if you think he was worth paying 6 mil. But they are cash strapped.

I think they will be just fine. Ray Rice is the offense. With Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones there, they will be very competitive.

But they didn't want to pay him 6 million a year, and have two WRs in line to play. They were going to cut him. What do you think was the wise move? Paying him 6 million this year to be a #3 WR? Cutting him and getting nothing for it? What was dumb about it? I can understand if you think he was worth paying 6 mil. But they are cash strapped.

Clearly they should've scrapped flacco, right?

(Not serious, but it seems to be implied by everyone arguing flacco was a bad deal)

So what you're telling me is that Percy Harvin, who can't stay healthy and on the field, is worth a first round pick swap but Boldin, who was a HUGE part of the Raven's SB run and victory is only worth a 6th. That doesn't seem odd to anyone? I just can't believe he wasn't worth a 3rd or at least a 4th.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse