What are the Bills doing defensively?

Pitta

The Buffalo Bills switched from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense for 2 years back to a 4-3 defense last year and now it looks like they will be going back to a 3-4 hybrid this year. This after signing Mario Williams to a $100 contract as a 4-3 defensive end. Now Mario is going to play a lot of outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense a position he doesn't like or want to play. Just another reason why the Bills continue to lose ever year. They cannot even find a defensive identity and stick with it nor do they have the players to play this 3-4 defense. The Bills have the worst linebackers in the league and now you need 4 to play a 3-4.

Can you picture Mario Williams covering a back in coverage? It will remind you of Chris Kelsay when they tried to make a linebacker out of him. The Bills also signed another 4-3 defensive end in Anderson last year. Where is he going to play in a 3-4? Yes, I know the Bills will play some 4-3 defense but after signing Williams and Anderson to mega contracts these players will play part time or out of position.

This team continues to be a joke under Buddy Nix's leadership as the record shows. This team will compete for the #1 pick in the draft next year which may not be a bad thing because they may have a chance to pick a franchise QB in 2014.

Without a franchise QB for 17 years since Jim Kelly retired, no wide receivers other than Stevie Johnson, no tight ends or linebackers this team will win 4 games this year. There isn't enough free agents or draft choices to save this team this coming year.

Now somebody get me a god damn drink.

Read this article breaking down Pettine's formations and you'll have a better idea of what the D will look like:

http://www.buffalobi...pettine-part-2/

Like the author of the article, I don't see Mario really playing OLB. He's pegged as a DE even in a 3 man front.

I think Mario will get moved around considering the amount of fronts Pettine uses, but unless there is a bona fide 3-4 DE acquired or Troup pans out as NT and Dareus slides over, Mario will be spending the majority of the time with his hand in the dirt.

One thing's for sure: they NEED LBs!

The base defense will be 5 or more DBs. When teams are in those defenses, they play 4 man fronts. Williams and Anderson will play most snaps with their hands on the ground.

Bryan Scott was not a "starter" in the Bills 4-3, but had more snaps in '12 than K.Shepard who was the "starter"

This is starting to sound more like Greggo defense...we'll do it with numbers

Having Scott on the field more than your MLB in a season only says 1 thing.

Your front office has NO idea how to draft a good player ( Shepperd) or sign good FA's (Merriman)

Scott is not a player, he is a special teamer and part time coach (not being critical).

The Bills are going to Japan & signing the top 4 Sumo wrestlers to play Dline. Then they'll stop in the Pacific Islands on the way back to get linebackers & safeties, then they'll hit Compton & South Central for a few corners & a couple pass rushers.

The Buffalo Bills switched from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense for 2 years back to a 4-3 defense last year and now it looks like they will be going back to a 3-4 hybrid this year. This after signing Mario Williams to a $100 contract as a 4-3 defensive end. Now Mario is going to play a lot of outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense a position he doesn't like or want to play. Just another reason why the Bills continue to lose ever year. They cannot even find a defensive identity and stick with it nor do they have the players to play this 3-4 defense. The Bills have the worst linebackers in the league and now you need 4 to play a 3-4.

Can you picture Mario Williams covering a back in coverage? It will remind you of Chris Kelsay when they tried to make a linebacker out of him. The Bills also signed another 4-3 defensive end in Anderson last year. Where is he going to play in a 3-4? Yes, I know the Bills will play some 4-3 defense but after signing Williams and Anderson to mega contracts these players will play part time or out of position.

This team continues to be a joke under Buddy Nix's leadership as the record shows. This team will compete for the #1 pick in the draft next year which may not be a bad thing because they may have a chance to pick a franchise QB in 2014.

Without a franchise QB for 17 years since Jim Kelly retired, no wide receivers other than Stevie Johnson, no tight ends or linebackers this team will win 4 games this year. There isn't enough free agents or draft choices to save this team this coming year.

here ya go :beer: :beer:

mario will be a rush linebacker when they line up in the 3/4 ,he had 5 and half sacks in 5 games in wade phillisp 3/4 in houston

Wade Phillips is a master of the 3-4 defense. Pettine is still a young pup learning the tricks...

Read this article breaking down Pettine's formations and you'll have a better idea of what the D will look like:

http://www.buffalobi...pettine-part-2/

Like the author of the article, I don't see Mario really playing OLB. He's pegged as a DE even in a 3 man front.

I think Mario will get moved around considering the amount of fronts Pettine uses, but unless there is a bona fide 3-4 DE acquired or Troup pans out as NT and Dareus slides over, Mario will be spending the majority of the time with his hand in the dirt.

One thing's for sure: they NEED LBs!

Exactly. There has been a trend to make the DE mode than just a line occupier, like how JJ Watt is being used in Houston. I can see a three man front of Williams-Dareus-Williams.

Wade Phillips is a master of the 3-4 defense. Pettine is still a young pup learning the tricks...

Yes, all the time as being a coach for the Ravens and DC for the Jets leaves him completely unprepared for running a 3-4 defense...wait, I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.

Sadly, I agree with the OP. Entirely new Coaching staff still trying to figure out what they want to do, and how they'll find the pieces. No QB on board to tough it out in close games. No LBs to speak of. Lame WR corp gutted anyway. Best OL leaving in FA and no legit NT.

To date, I've always been the eternal optimist, all the way from the early 60's. I don't see any hope for a contending team in '13. Maybe we'll luck out and NOT win a couple 'meaningless' games to secure the 1st pick in what should be a fine QB draft class NEXT April..

Someone get ME a drink!

I think a big problem for these Bills has been the reluctance to admit when they'll be out of contention from the start. Indy is a good example of this - that team, losing Manning, was okay with letting the team lose for a year - not losing deliberately, but letting the team "rebuild" so to speak, by playing young guys, by letting aged vets go. They're rewarded for that all out calamity of a season by getting their second straight perennial pro-bowl QB.

The Bills - even when they've had the new coaching staffs - never seem capable of planning for a losing year. Take this season, for instance. If Nix and Marone thought they'd need 2 years, at least, to field a really good team, they'd look at this draft in a 2 year light. Which means, if they thought they might be drafting high next year, maybe they'd forgo the QB pick until there is a guy they have real faith in next year. Instead, if they have way too many holes to fill this offseason, as many here suggest, they might still fall prey to drafting a QB in the first - one they might not have total faith in - and then end up missing out on better prospects at positions of need (LB, WR) for instance, and then next year finding themselves in position to draft someone at QB who grades MUCH higher, but they've already drafted a QB the previous year, and then, to make it worse, they go for a LB or WR, when this year's group would have been better.

It's just that lack of forsight, the way Buddy seems to go all in every year, without admitting they don't have the pieces, and without planning far enough down the road to really take advantage of their perpetually good draft status.

All that is to say - if they aren't going to really turn it around this year, PLEASE don't draft a QB in the first just to say you finally did so! If he's good enough to take in ANY draft high, then do it - otherwise, get the BPA and wait for value!

The difference is Pettine, who already is head and shoulders above anything the Bills have had since Dick LeBeau. While I have trust in what he's going to do, it's hard to see a lot of success without more horses to run. And right now that means improving CB and LB.

As for Mario, well, Bruce racked up some great seasons playing a more modified 3-4. They need pass rush to help MW though. Someone on the other side to keep teams honest in pass protection so they're not sliding to the left side.

When the bloody heck would Mario be dropping to coverage as an SLB? He would be used as a blitzing QB.

I wish I had time to break it down but the easiest position. To transfer on a d from 4-3 to 3-4 is DE to SLB. Even the safety play changes a lot.

This entire thread is ......... just off base.

Come on now, first of all you're obviously not a "real fan." Go have some koolaid and come back.

; )

As well, you should know better than to introduce facts here that don't support the sunshine up the wazzoo theories.

Just wanted to point out that Anderson played a lot of 3-4 OLB in the Patriots defense, as well as DE in a 4-3, and we converted him to a pure DE.

Edited by Haplo848

He is 46 and been learning from on eof the greatest D coaches around for years.

He also comes from a family of good coaches- albeit HS, but still.

Phillips is great, not taking anything away from him as a D cord. But Phillips has been a great D Cord for years....

God I need to come back on my patio and clear this mess up. People have no concept of basic d....

And

Just wanted to point out that Anderson played a lot of 3-4 OLB in the Patriots defense, as well as DE in a 4-3, and we converted him to a pure DE.

Anderson dropped in to coverage several timed a game when playing last year.

He is 46 and been learning from on eof the greatest D coaches around for years.

He also comes from a family of good coaches- albeit HS, but still.

Phillips is great, not taking anything away from him as a D cord. But Phillips has been a great D Cord for years....

Rex Ryan is not "one of the greatest D coaches around". On the other hand, Phillips teams know how to stop the Run every year.