Movie Draft Day No Longer About Bills

BRAWNDO

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. It's going to suck anyway. The script is horrible and would have been an embarrassment to the Bills and Buffalo.

I haven't seen the script, but everything about this was screaming "don't do it" in my mind. I think it will be one big, unfunny, joke.

NY State & Western NY make making films very difficult and expensive from what I hear, and you have to think every politician in BFLO had their hands out-so the filmakers said-Screw it!Meanwhile Onatrio and Toronto have just blown up for city of choice for making movies.I havent read this article, but that sucks. I would have liked to see Buffalo and The Bills featured in a film, cements their legacy-good or bad...However- Kevin Costner just plain sucks. the guy peaked 20 years ago and he isnt a draw anymore. Im OK with Kevin Costner and Bruce Willis hanging it up and never seeing them in a film again-"It's Over Johnny!"

I take it you haven't seen Hatfield and McCoys then? One of the best miniseries I've ever seen. Costner and the series win Emmys for it. Waterworld was a long time ago.

I hope this movie sucks

no need to hope.

And I wasn't crazy about the idea from the beginning anyway, it's going to show how hapless small market teams try to compete against the glitzy large market teams, so I'd rather the Bills not be that punching bag for once.

It's bad enough we have to have a moron like Russ brandon brainwashing everyone into thinking WNY can't support our team.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

I think the cosmic forces saved us from ourselves again this year (Meachem, Alex Smith, and now a movie).

I'm telling you, they are warming back up to the Bills. ;-)

The last time Reitman had a hit, the Bills were still in Super Bowls, and really his very best stuff like Stripes and Ghostbusters was back before Jim Kelly was even in the NFL.

• 1 month later...

I love the line..."Clevelanders say they can see why Hollywood chose this team and this town."

Too funny...

I thought the same thing when I watched the clip. I mean, can they actually see Ohio's tax incentives from where they're sitting?

I knew the makers of the movie Draft Day had decided to shift the location to Cleveland from Buffalo but I didn't know the reason:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/bills-lose-to-browns-in-high-stakes-off-field-competition/

“At the end of the day, it was a money thing,” said Tim Clark, head of the Buffalo Niagara Film Commission. “I think [ivan] Reitman really wanted to shoot here, but it just came down to the cost factor. What we were told is that the Cleveland incentives were better.

The movie was switched to Ohio because of money. Filming in Cleveland resulted in better tax incentives.

I'm guessing most of the tax stuff was at the state level though I suppose it's possible that the county taxes/fees entered into the decision too.

Either way, a damn shame.

p.s.-- I did a search for the previous thread on this topic (Cleveland, movie, Draft Day in titles) but couldn't find it.

Please merge as you find appropriate.

The movie Draft Day will no longer be about the Bills. Filming has been moved to Cleveland and the Browns will now be the featured team.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130305/CITYANDREGION/130309579/1109

The real problem was that they would have had to film one eighth of the movie in Toronto which would have made it difficult to be successful.

I was hoping it would do for the Bills what Major League did for the Indians of the mid 90's. It's not fair that Clevelamd get both boosts.

A brand new ballpark, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Sandy Alomar, Kenny Lofton and Albert Belle did a little more for that franchise than Major League did.

New York is ahead of the game on this one then.

Most of the cities that have done studies on whether offering up incentives for movies to film there don't end up creating the jobs or revenue to make it profitable (and it's not close. You end up paying for having the honor of them making money off a movie they shoot.

" And when temporary construction workers were excluded from the tally, Pontiac’s records show, the studio reported only two employees in 2010 and 12 the next year. "

Great stuff there.