Geno Smith vs Matt Barkley last 2yrs

I'm getting tired of this, "It's either Smith or Barkley at 8." There is no reason we should draft either QB considering the circumstances we need one. We need a FRANCHISE quarterback if we want to see the success that we have all been craving for the past two decades. However, it doesn't take a franchise quarterback to win a Super Bowl. There have been plenty of teams who have done it with game managers but a great QB can't hurt.

Name 3 in the last 21 years?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geno Smith:

I kind of like Geno. He had a great pro day and he performed well throughout the season. But again, his Bowl performance worried me. If that is any indication how he performs in certain field conditions I don't think his adaptability is ideal for the Bills system. Furthermore, I know he is fast, athletic, and has a great arm. However, I will always stick by my belief that Running QBs do not last in the NFL. His speed works in college against weaker and slower LBs who cannot cover the flats, but the next level is full of OLBs waiting to lay a lick on any QB who thinks they are bold enough to run on them. Michael Vick, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick are the three of the most prominent running QBs in the league currently. Vick has been injury prone his entire career and RGIII's injury ended the Redskin's season this past year, and could present further issues moving forward. Sure Kaepernick and Wilson aren't injured and they are both very mobile QBs. But they aren't injured yet. Consistent exposure to hard hits and situations where defenses are looking to take them out of the game WILL result in injury. There's a common trait and reason why Brady, Rogers, and Manning are consistently the top tier QBs in the league. They have great OLs, situational awareness, QB IQ, and arm strength. They are all pocket QBs and are well off for it. You do not need a mobile QB to win games.

Dude, Geno is totally a pocket QB, more so than Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is pretty much the ideal/prototype QB at this point -- mobility/athleticism/scrambling ability is enough to be very dangerous, but his primary option is usually to destroy teams from the pocket with his elite arm & accuracy. Since becoming the starter (5 years), he's rushed between 54-64 times every year, for at least 200 yards every year, and over 250 four of the five years. He's had 7 runs of 20+ yards in that stretch. He could absolutely run the read option if Mike McCarthy wanted.

Geno is a comparable athlete in terms of foot speed and arm strength, but obviously isn't nearly as good at this point of their careers. The comparison of running numbers isn't apples to apples, because in college, sacks count as runs for negative yardage, whereas in the NFL, they don't count as rushing attempts, and the yardage comes off the team's passing total, not the player/team's rushing total. But last year, Geno "ran" 66 times (47 actual runs, assuming the OP's figure of 19 sacks is correct) for 151 yards. The year before, he "ran" 56 times for -33 yards. Geno is pretty fast for a QB (nowhere near Vick or RG3 though), but he's not a scrambler. He's a pocket passer who is fast enough to get some yards when he tucks and runs.

m not saying Geno is poor---but he isnt worth being drafted so high when you look at past QBs drafted in the top 10. Whats the difference with Gino and the other QBs

Barkley isnt on the Bills radar---he doesnt have the arm strength to through in Buffalo winds.

I'm getting tired of this, "It's either Smith or Barkley at 8." There is no reason we should draft either QB considering the circumstances we need one. We need a FRANCHISE quarterback if we want to see the success that we have all been craving for the past two decades. However, it doesn't take a franchise quarterback to win a Super Bowl. There have been plenty of teams who have done it with game managers but a great QB can't hurt.

Matt Barkley:

Come on, guys. It's simple. Name one good Quarterback to come out of USC and succeed in the NFL...Marinovich? Palmer? Sanchez? Leinart? Booty? Yes Barkley has great numbers....in Southern California, where the only thing better than the weather are the girls...I don't care what numbers somebody puts up in SoCal when the Bills play in a cold weather system. Geno Smith:

Fisrt off. That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard, and where they went to college is the least relevant to anything. Name me all tht great QBs that came from Tennessee, Purdue, Cal, Delaware, and Michigan.

Second off. This Buffalo "Cold weather" is a complete misconception. How many games a year is it actually cold, windy and snowy. Maybe 1? Fun Fact: niether QB performes well in those games.

Please find better arguments.

Fisrt off. That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard, and where they went to college is the least relevant to anything. Name me all tht great QBs that came from Tennessee, Purdue, Cal, Delaware, and Michigan.

Second off. This Buffalo "Cold weather" is a complete misconception. How many games a year is it actually cold, windy and snowy. Maybe 1? Fun Fact: niether QB performes well in those games.

I'm with you on the snowy thing -- there's rarely more than 1-2 snow games a year, especially since we never have home playoff games any more. But the wind is legit. I'd say at least half of Bills home games have significant wind that can cause problems for a QB. I don't know how much of the solution is pure arm strength (though obviously a stronger arm is always better). It seems like there's a lot of technique stuff that goes into it -- having a tight spiral, extra good timing w/ receivers, etc.

Yeah But they want Nassib...Who played in a Dome,and cant throw a deep ball,to save his life.

I watched Smith throw on NFL Network. Mayock gave him a good review. He will be selected in the top 10 and as early as 3rd selection (Oakland). Barkley and the rest are being talked of as 2nd and 3rd rounders. Here is the problem for the Bills. Do you sit at 8th and "reach" for a QB or wait to the end of the 1st round and trade up to take the QB you want? Either way has its pitfalls.

I watched Smith throw on NFL Network. Mayock gave him a good review. He will be selected in the top 10 and as early as 3rd selection (Oakland). Barkley and the rest are being talked of as 2nd and 3rd rounders. Here is the problem for the Bills. Do you sit at 8th and "reach" for a QB or wait to the end of the 1st round and trade up to take the QB you want? Either way has its pitfalls.

What I saw was wait until Barkley throws. Geno 5tds 5ints against the Marrone bunch .Barkley 11tds 1 pick against the same .That is a BIG difference. And Geno had bigtime receivers.

I know it will never happen but I would love to trade #8 (assuming geno is gone) with SF and take some of their 2013 picks off their hands and then trade back up to get a guy we like. I'm hoping they don't make a big move for a cb in FA and they like Milliner, that's probably the only way it has a chance.

I'm not sure why everybody is so down on Tyler Wilson. If I were a bettin' man, or a GM I would get the best LB/WR on the board at #8 and either trade up or hope Tyler Wilson is there early in the second. Conversation Over.

DAMN!!!

I was just relishing the thought of joining this discussion!