Levitre: Hasn't heard anything from the Bills yet

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with your take. They can resign Rhinehart to play LG. Or get a cheaper, pro bowler in Moore from the Jets, who Marrone is credited with taking to the next level. Or they can draft an OG because they've filled many holes in FA. If the option is Levitre and nothing much in FA or letting Levitre walk, but getting some combination of Ellerbee, Moore, Landry, Bowe, Keller, Cook,Kruger, etc., I will take the combination of good players who can also fill holes before the draft.

Folks need to remember, in the salary cap era every team will have to let some players they want to keep walk away. It's just not possible to keep them all. Eric Wood's contract is up after next season. Spiller the year after that. It's about now AND the near future. Does giving Levitre big money mean Wood has to go? I'd rather keep the center. Harder to find a good one. And you know CJ will get big money if he continues on his current pace and stays relatively healthy. It is what it is. I like Levitre, but we aren't talking about Larry Allen...

The Bills are not going to make a "Derrick Dockery" mistake again and overpay for a guard when they need that money to pay for skill position players, like a wide receiver. Also, as stated earlier, Eric Woods contract is up next year and the Bills probably value him more than paying Levitre in the $7 mil a year range.

They can draft a guard on day three to back up someone like Colin Brown , who recently signed a contract that pretty much indicated that the Bills aren't going to pay top dollar for a guard that is a bit more of a finesse player.

My name is Mike Pucillo, and I approve of this message.

AWESOME!!!

The other thing is: Let's say we lose Levitre. Assuming we don't sign a big money FA this year, it stands to reason that the Bills would get a 3rd or 4th Compensatory selection next year. So maybe Buddy is thinking he's trading Levitre for Warmack, a 3rd and $6M in Cap space. When you think about it like that, to me, it makes his departure more plausible and acceptable.

But, that being said, I'd rather keep him.

Edited by JPS

AWESOME!!!

The other thing is: Let's say we lose Levitre. Assuming we don't sign a big money FA this year, it stands to reason that the Bills would get a 3rd or 4th Compensatory selection next year. So maybe Buddy is thinking he's trading Levitre and one of Geno/Patterson/Barkley/Jones/Mingo etc for Warmack, a 3rd and $6M in Cap space. When you think about it like that, to me, it makes his departure more plausible and acceptable.

But, that being said, I'd rather keep him.

Fixed.

If Levitre is allowed to walk that adds to the holes on Team Swiss Cheese. I get it that it does not makes sense to over pay for a OG but he is versatile and can play four O line spots. So if he goes we will need OG, pass catching TE, DE, LB, and depth at DB and WR. With 6 draft picks, the Bills will have to fill the voids with mid level free agents. then the cycle of mediocrity will continue. Resign Levitre and don't create a hole. This team needs a plan to build and maintain a stocked roster.

If Levitre is allowed to walk that adds to the holes on Team Swiss Cheese. I get it that it does not makes sense to over pay for a OG but he is versatile and can play four O line spots. So if he goes we will need OG, pass catching TE, DE, LB, and depth at DB and WR. With 6 draft picks, the Bills will have to fill the voids with mid level free agents. then the cycle of mediocrity will continue. Resign Levitre and don't create a hole. This team needs a plan to build and maintain a stocked roster.

He only plays one position adequately

I don't get it. You're not going to get Warmack and Geno, et. al. I know you want something other than a OG, but if this guy is anywhere near Shields or Hutch, I'm in.

They have someone nearly that good who won't have to learn the ropes in the NFL, and a gaping chasm at QB. This team has to stop creating its own holes. If Levitre positively won't sign here for competitive money, fine, but they sure as sh-- better be doing everything they can do to keep him.

They have someone nearly that good who won't have to learn the ropes in the NFL, and a gaping chasm at QB. This team has to stop creating its own holes. If Levitre positively won't sign here for competitive money, fine, but they sure as sh-- better be doing everything they can do to keep him.

Can't argue with that...

The Bills GM........who at last check was still in charge of personnel.......had the stated objective of making the Bills a big, physical team when he took over.

He has imported one gigantic OL after the next since he has arrived here. Glenn and Pears are monster sized tackles. Urbik is huge. Sam Young is a giant. And the recently re-signed Colin Brown is a behemoth of a reserve center.

Levitre was not a Buddy Nix selection. Levitre is small for a guard.

Levitre is a very good player and he is durable, something that has been a big problem with the rest of the Bills OL.

If they let Levitre walk we should just trust in Buddy and the man he chose as his mull-again HC choice. :thumbsup:

It's likely they don't yet know what they can offer until a certain QB decides if he will take a pay cut for the team.

PTR

After franchising Byrd they still have well over $20M in cap room.......so I would say it is unlikely that they are waiting for a restructured deal for Fitz. Unless Fitz and Levitre are unseparable.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

The Bills are not going to make a "Derrick Dockery" mistake again and overpay for a guard when they need that money to pay for skill position players, like a wide receiver. Also, as stated earlier, Eric Woods contract is up next year and the Bills probably value him more than paying Levitre in the $7 mil a year range.

They can draft a guard on day three to back up someone like Colin Brown , who recently signed a contract that pretty much indicated that the Bills aren't going to pay top dollar for a guard that is a bit more of a finesse player.

What makes you so sure that the Bills value Eric Wood more than Levitre?

Don't get me wrong I like Eric Wood and want to keep him for years to come, but with his injury history the Bills and many other teams in the NFL will balk at giving him a big contract.

It's likely they don't yet know what they can offer until a certain QB decides if he will take a pay cut for the team.

PTR

When it comes time for Fitz to receive that roster bonus this month, I am sure we will see the Bills make some kind of move.

I don't get it. You're not going to get Warmack and Geno, et. al. I know you want something other than a OG, but if this guy is anywhere near Shields or Hutch, I'm in.

I was fixing up your equation.

It's Levitre and a rookie that isn't Warmack.......for Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

Your initial equation was:

Levitre.....for Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

I was fixing up your equation.

It's Levitre and a rookie that isn't Warmack.......for Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

Your initial equation was:

Levitre.....for Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

If the Bills use the cap space to sign FA players this year they won't get the compensatory draft pick. You only get compensation when you lose players and don't sign others. It is the net difference in contract dollars between players that are lost and one that you have signed.

However I would still let Levitre walk, take Warmack, and sign two LB's and one or two WR's. Maybe make a run at Jermichael Finley for a third and a conditional pick next year.

If the Bills use the cap space to sign FA players this year they won't get the compensatory draft pick. You only get compensation when you lose players and don't sign others. It is the net difference in contract dollars between players that are lost and one that you have signed.

However I would still let Levitre walk, take Warmack, and sign two LB's and one or two WR's. Maybe make a run at Jermichael Finley for a third and a conditional pick next year.

You didn't read(or understand?) my post.

If you let Levitre walk....and then draft Warmack....you can't use the #8 pick to draft a different player.

Therefore.....the cost is Levitre plus the #8 pick.....for getting Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

You had it that the cost is simply Levitre....for getting Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

It could end up being....

Levitre and Geno.....for Warmack, a 3rd & 6m in cap space.

I know which I'd rather have.

Edited by Dibs

All signs point to the bills not thinking Levitre is worth the kind of cash he's looking for. Marrone is an O-Line guru so they are probably thinking he can coach up who we have or pick up someone in the later rounds of the draft

My name is Mike Pucillo, and I approve of this message.

Love it! We can always replace him with Joe Panos.

The Bills GM........who at last check was still in charge of personnel.......had the stated objective of making the Bills a big, physical team when he took over.

He has imported one gigantic OL after the next since he has arrived here. Glenn and Pears are monster sized tackles. Urbik is huge. Sam Young is a giant. And the recently re-signed Colin Brown is a behemoth of a reserve center.

Levitre was not a Buddy Nix selection. Levitre is small for a guard.

Levitre is a very good player and he is durable, something that has been a big problem with the rest of the Bills OL.

If they let Levitre walk we should just trust in Buddy and the man he chose as his mull-again HC choice. :thumbsup:

Someone should email this article to Nix et al: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/2013-nfl-draft-linemen/index.html .