Bucky Gleason's article on Nix...Do you agree?

Nix's Legacy  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Can Nix's legacy be saved with a QB selection?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the Draft Pick ends up being a Top 10 QB

Bad year for teams in need of a new QB

We'll see...

But IMHO that is yet another HUGE knock on Nix who, by not trying to upgrade the QB position 2 Drafts in a row, left the team in this one year desperation... B-)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from it. Dalton, to me, is "meh". Every measureable about the guy screams middle of the pack.

OK fair enough...Dalton is not a Top 10 QB...At least not yet...Maybe he'll never be one...But even middle of the pack is better than Fitz...Had Buddy used that pick on Dalton instead of Williams the Bills would clearly be in a better position at QB...Dalton is still young, and I'm sure Cincy believes he will continue to improve...I think for the sake of the argument on this thread, and at this point of time knowing the Bills have one of the worst QB depth charts in the entire NFL, Dalton can certainly be used as an example of Nix poor Drafting...But we'll see how it plays out over the next couple of years...Maybe Dalton slides and Aaron Williams finds a clue...Only time will tell... B-)

Nix has made some solid moves, a few head scratches but overall I have no issues with Nix and his legacy doesn't need to be saved IMO.

Have you actually watched the team play for the past 3 seasons? They still stink.

Nix has made some solid moves, a few head scratches but overall I have no issues with Nix and his legacy doesn't need to be saved IMO.

I think it is more of the opposite...meaning a FEW solid moves and some head scratchers....

Good stuff:

1. Spiller

2. Cordy Glenn

3. Re-signing Stevie

4. Picking Urbik on the waiver wire

5. Signing of Mario Williams

Bad Stuff:

1. PIcking a horrible HC

2. No Franchise QB in place in 3 years

3. Paying a huge contract to Fitz when he went 4-1 against scrubs (except for game against Patriots).

4. Unable to get a decent LB crew

5. Not locking up Levitre and Byrd in year 3 and letting them to get to UFA.

6. Missed on drafting Williams, Troupe, Arrington etc.

8. Re-signing Kelsay calling him leader.

He has definently added/kept talent on this team. But the results are horrible. I think nix has made two major mistakes that ruin the good things he has done:

1) hired a HC that hired 2 terrible DCs that could not use all the talent that was on that side of the ball. granted they are short linebackers, but lots of other good things on that D they should have been able to overcome.

2) Using so many resources on defense and ignoring offense. Pretty much all the talent Nix has brought in has been on defense. Best thing he brought to the offense was a couple of ok tackles. Chandler, and Spiller. Really needed to put some more resources into QB or Receiver.

Nix has done a lot of good things, things that we have wanted the bills do for awhile. But the two above mistakes really take away all the good things he has done and resulted in 3 losing seasons. And it wasn't like they lost, and came "close." They lost in ways you just cannot defend.

Just burning resources on defense soft sells it. He's burnt the majority of his resources on defense and the unit has gone from bad to putrid. And, they're obligated to pour even more resources in to the defense again after cutting starters.

It's a bit like giving a blind, stoned guy a welding torch and a pile of sheet metal to build your race car, while you wind rubber bands in the office because you don't have an engine.

prior to NIx we were not very good and old with no players to build on, now we are younger not very good but have building blocks to build on from. We focus too much on winning right away this was a five year build from the start.

This franchise QB that should be in place WHO exactly 2009 Stafford who isnt a franchise qb and Freeman who tampa is questioning moving forward all the rest are out of the league. 2010 Bradford - is he a franshise qb ? then you had Tebow, Clausen, McCoy Skelton- where is your franchise guy there ? - the other eight are out of the league. 2011 Cam Newton 1 over all- might be something....maybe, Dalton is okay but type of guy you better have a spanish armada defense to win with, and Kaepernick who could turn into a great player on a loaded team. Gabbert, Ponder, Locker again I ask anyone saying franchise QB? 2012 Luck, RG III - going 1,2 in the draft look very promising especially Luck, Tannehill very early looks possibly okay. Russel Wilson also looks like he might be something after year 1....maybe So the franchise QB were suppose to grab one of the 4 available in the last 4 drafts ? really ? while filling the roster with talented players at other positions oh and win while doing it....again five year build not 3.

Kelsay was a solid player we wanted to be the next Bruce Smith - that as never his game but we had no play makers on the D-line so he was the target.

Edited by CardinalScotts

Buddy has done some good things and done some bad things, but it does uitimately come down to not getting a QB.

Bucky Gleason proves he could be just as good of a GM as Buddy with his clever idea of not taking a chance on a QB with that first pick.

Never do that.

The Bills learned that when they took QB Richie Lucas out of Penn State with their first pick in 1960. Can you say BUST? Never doin' that again. :beer:

Buddy has done some good things and done some bad things, but it does uitimately come down to not getting a QB.

It ultimately comes down to not getting a QB AND making a mediocre hire as his first Head Coach.

I like Buddy as a person and supported his hiring.

However at this moment, he is lucky to still be GM of the Bills.

I betcha that more than 50% of the time, a GM who goes 16-32, and fails to find a quarterback and a Head Coach within 3 years is fired, all other considerations aside.

OK fair enough...Dalton is not a Top 10 QB...At least not yet...Maybe he'll never be one...But even middle of the pack is better than Fitz...Had Buddy used that pick on Dalton instead of Williams the Bills would clearly be in a better position at QB...Dalton is still young, and I'm sure Cincy believes he will continue to improve...I think for the sake of the argument on this thread, and at this point of time knowing the Bills have one of the worst QB depth charts in the entire NFL, Dalton can certainly be used as an example of Nix poor Drafting...But we'll see how it plays out over the next couple of years...Maybe Dalton slides and Aaron Williams finds a clue...Only time will tell... B-)

Dalton is actually the worst kind of QB to have. At least with Fitz, we know he sucks and that we need to replace him. Dalton is one of those guys that's not good enough to ever take a team to the promise land, yet he's just good enough to not have to urgently worry about replacing him. He's ridden the coattails of a good defense to make the playoffs. On Buffalo, he'd be terrible.

There are many reasons to bash buddy, but passing on Dalton isn't one of them.

Dalton is actually the worst kind of QB to have. At least with Fitz, we know he sucks and that we need to replace him. Dalton is one of those guys that's not good enough to ever take a team to the promise land, yet he's just good enough to not have to urgently worry about replacing him. He's ridden the coattails of a good defense to make the playoffs. On Buffalo, he'd be terrible.

Absolutely correct.

But passing on Kaep (taken two picks after Aaron Williams and one pick after Dalton) is another story.

Nix tenure: 14 - 34 after three years drafting, and NO NFL startering QB on the radar. Not to mention no WR outside of 1 S. Johnson.

Even forgoing the Chan Gailey issue, and Wanny, and Edwards.

There no way I can see this going well suddenly in 1 more draft/year of building to even come close to what they were prior to Buddy's guidance.

The losses are piling up quicker than Buddy can spin the "continuity" wheel.

What this really says: the team was better off Levy/Jauron/Trent after three years? Which is hard to imagine. :cry:

We'll see...

But IMHO that is yet another HUGE knock on Nix who, by not trying to upgrade the QB position 2 Drafts in a row, left the team in this one year desperation... B-)

Three drafts on a row: I don't count drafting a 6th or 7th round QB trying to upgrade the position. It simply isn't.

And the today's NFL, that alone gets you fired. Period.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

I like this post, but I'm not sure that I am in full agreement with it.

Allow me to preface my response by admitting that I was pulled, kicking and seaming, into the reality that the rule changes have made the NFL into a passing, qb driven league. But, I have arrived.

Now, as far as the bolded above, I am not so sure. Dalton is a kid. He, imo, has the potential to be in the same class as Schuab. Is Schuab good enough to win it all? This season tells us that he might be.

The following is a list of QBs who did not reach the Superbowl this season:

1) Big Ben

2) Drew Brees

3) Peyton Manning

4) Tom Brady

5) Eli Manning

Now, is Flacco, contract and all, an "elite" QB? I am not so sure. He has a cannon but I swear, I think he was lucky in the SB, particularly in the early part of the game. As Badol pointed out in another thread, the 49ers pass rush was weakened, and their secondary was exposed. And Kaep, with all of his amazing talent, is also a kid. He may soon be, but is not at the moment a QB that I personally would consider to be elite.

I think that n the near future, intelligence and the ability to run will be huge factors in QB success. It's ironic, but Fitz is a genius, and actually, despite his frame, is a better than average runner for a qb imo. He just doesn't have the passing skills. It really is a shame.

I don't know much about Dalton in terms of his IQ or wonderlic scores. Do you? What I DO know is that I would MUCH rather have Dalton, Kaep, or even Mallet on this team than lousy players such as Sheppard and A. Williams.

I like this post, but I'm not sure that I am in full agreement with it.

Allow me to preface my response by admitting that I was pulled, kicking and seaming, into the reality that the rule changes have made the NFL into a passing, qb driven league. But, I have arrived.

Now, as far as the bolded above, I am not so sure. Dalton is a kid. He, imo, has the potential to be in the same class as Schuab. Is Schuab good enough to win it all? This season tells us that he might be.

The following is a list of QBs who did not reach the Superbowl this season:

1) Big Ben

2) Drew Brees

3) Peyton Manning

4) Tom Brady

5) Eli Manning

Now, is Flacco, contract and all, an "elite" QB? I am not so sure. He has a cannon but I swear, I think he was lucky in the SB, particularly in the early part of the game. As Badol pointed out in another thread, the 49ers pass rush was weakened, and their secondary was exposed. And Kaep, with all of his amazing talent, is also a kid. He may soon be, but is not at the moment a QB that I personally would consider to be elite.

I think that n the near future, intelligence and the ability to run will be huge factors in QB success. It's ironic, but Fitz is a genius, and actually, despite his frame, is a better than average runner for a qb imo. He just doesn't have the passing skills. It really is a shame.

I don't know much about Dalton in terms of his IQ or wonderlic scores. Do you? What I DO know is that I would MUCH rather have Dalton, Kaep, or even Mallet on this team than lousy players such as Sheppard and A. Williams.

I posted this elsewhere, but I think it's worth repeating. With regard to Dalton, he's on an upward trajectory in just about every category from his rookie season to last year: http://www.pro-footb.../D/DaltAn00.htm . Note that his advanced QB rating last year was 103, with 100 being average. His regular rating was solid last year too: 87.4. It's also worth mentioning that he not only had 27 passing TDs last season, he had 4 rushing TDs too (31 overall, which is better than any Bills QB in team history save for Jim Kelly's 1991 season.) Plus he's had seven game winning drives in two seasons. I do realize that the Bengals defense is good (6th and 8th in yards allowed the last two seasons) and that AJ Green is a stud. Still the 2012 numbers suggest that Dalton produces.

He said he wants to show us the Baby. We haven't seen the baby. He cannot be considered successful or satisfied until he shows us the baby.

Its pretty clear cut not a lot of room for discussion.

BTW you people are ridiculous for arguing about the Ginger in Cinci just tedious and ridiculous.

You know what would be really cool if Dalton died black streaks in his head to match the Bengals helmet. Now that would be something to have two pages of discussion about.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I think nothing less than a perennial Pro Bowler will salvage his legacy. He's promised to turn this franchise around, but our record the last three seasons shows that he hasn't even begun.

Interestingly enough, that's where I was on Fitz at the start of last season - I thought he was a mid-pack QB, good enough to get to the playoffs with a good defense, but not elite.

I wondered if the hiring of Lee and the attempt to improve his mechanics might possibly change that. Be careful whatcha wish for, it changed it OK- changed for the worse. But Fitz, as a late-round draft pick on his 3rd team, doesn't get a lot of slack.

I'll tell you what the real worst kind of QB to have is - it's a high 1st round pick that was supposed to be The Man, and isn't getting it done. He isn't an out and out Ryan Leaf or JaBustus, is a model locker room citizen and in no way a head case, but just isn't performing as expected. Alex Smith in his 1st 5 years when his W-L record was 19-31, he had 3 seasons where he had equal or greater INTs to TDs, and mediocre in every other stat. Sam Bradford in St Louis, after 3 yrs 15-26 with 58.3% completions and a year with an equal number of TDs and Ints (6 of each. For a year.). Have to wonder how that decision to trade the RGIII pick to the Redskins is looking to their FO

Edited by Hopeful