Bucky Gleason's article on Nix...Do you agree?

Nix's Legacy  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Can Nix's legacy be saved with a QB selection?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the Draft Pick ends up being a Top 10 QB

I thought the article was terrible. He displays no knowledge of the Bills' long history of avoiding going after QBs early in the draft. The league is built around QBs, and if you want a chance to win consistently you have to roll the dice if you don't have one (assuming there's no Andrew Luck in the draft). I get the sense that Gleason doesn't know very much about football or how to build a winning team.

What does Dalton sucking at the QB position have to do with Fitz?

Why does he suck? Please be specific.

As I see it, he's on an upward trajectory in just about every category from his rookie season to last year: http://www.pro-footb.../D/DaltAn00.htm . Note that his advanced QB rating last year was 103, with 100 being average. So he's technically above average according to that measure. His regular rating was solid last year too: 87.4. It's also worth mentioning that he not only had 27 passing TDs last season, he had 4 rushing TDs too (31 overall, which is better than any Bills QB in team history save for Jim Kelly's 1991 season.) Plus he's had seven game winning drives in two seasons.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say...Only 15 votes to this point...But I'm pretty much shocked 6 out of 15 voted "Yes"...Some Bills fans are REAL easy to please... B-)

Fans know nothing.... how many here were still endorsing Chan Gailey right up until Nix fired him. Nix even gave Gailey his endorsement half way thru last season and stated Gailey will be the Bills HC for 2013 and probably longer...what happened? Nix also stated Gailey is one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL. Yea, that is why he is out of football. Even Jauron took a job right after he was canned, and Wannstedt already has a new job.

Buddy Nix should have been fired right along with the two morons he hired in Gailey and Wannstedt. Unless the Bills (Russ) were afraid that Nix would take all the knowledge he had garnered all season scouting to a different team. I'd say let him do just that, and screw up their drafts, and free agency.

How can fans forget statements like " I'm going to get some sleep" when the 2010 free agency opened. Then proceeded to bring in the worst player ever for 2 mill per in Cornell Green. CJ Spiller was all Chan Gailey who wanted his "water bug" months before the draft and then got him during draft day. Then who did Nix select with the #2, DT Torrell Troup when Rob Gonkowski was right there, and the Patriots got him with the very next pick.

That 2010 draft was almost a complete wash and so was the free agency period. So far Nix has been able to band aid the LBer corps, band aid the O line. Pay 100 million for a DE. Not find a QB for the last 3 years while other teams found 5 QB"S To take their teams to the playoffs.

The list of failures over the last 3 season surpasses the few players Nix has brought in to start, and make an impact! It scares me as a Bills fan to think that this idiot is going to be involved in the process of finding the next supposed franchise QB.

Fans know nothing.... how many here were still endorsing Chan Gailey right up until Nix fired him. Nix even gave Gailey his endorsement half way thru last season and stated Gailey will be the Bills HC for 2013 and probably longer...what happened? Nix also stated Gailey is one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL. Yea, that is why he is out of football. Even Jauron took a job right after he was canned, and Wannstedt already has a new job.

I don't think there was a soul here who felt this way in November 2012.

I don't think there was a soul here who felt this way in November 2012.

Yea well, I can recall so many fans here constantly defending him over and over. (Just like they now do with Buddy Nix) Gailey was the worst HC hire since Wade Phillips!!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/152328-in-defense-of-chan/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/151746-who-wants-to-see-a-change/page__st__20

I can dig up more if ya want.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Nothing he does positive in this year's draft has a bearing on what he has done over the past three years. His record is 16-32. As bad as the record is it doesn't reflect the current dismal state of this franchise. This team under his auspices has been almost incapable of beating winning teams. Against two elite teams last year, the 49ers and Seahawks, this team gave up 47 and 50 points, respectively. Losing by such lopsided scores after three drafts that mostly focused on defense is an absurdity. The issue of how improved are they is meaningless unless you compare your team's progress to the better teams in the league. Based on its record the team hasn't moved up the ranks.

Buddy Nix, like Marv Levy, was simply ill-equipped for the job. This was the typical Ralph Wilson hire that never made sense. Hiring someone to run your almost Billion $$ business for the simple reason that you personally know the individual is not only a bad way to conduct business but it is outright odd. Nix has a scout's perspective on his multi-faceted job. His perspective was from evaluating individual players instead of understanding how to build a roster and value certain positions in the team building process. Where I am most disappointed in the current GM is that as a talent evaluator his performances have been surprisingly bad.

No matter how kind and lenient one wants to be towards evaluating Buddy there is no way other than to judge him as an abject failure. His record is his record. It is as simple as that. In addition, any organization that would allow such an incompetent to remain in the most important football position in the organization not only should be ashamed of itself, but also doesn't deserve to win.

Edited by JohnC

Yea well, I can recall so many fans here constantly defending him over and over. (Just like they now do with Buddy Nix) Gailey was the worst HC hire since Wade Phillips!!

http://forums.twobil...efense-of-chan/

http://forums.twobil...ge/page__st__20

Whenever Wade comes up it always makes me wonder what if Flutie had played?

http://forums.twobil...efense-of-chan/

http://forums.twobil...ge/page__st__20

I hated the hiring of Gailey from day one and my view never changed until he was canned. I had the same opinion on the hiring of Nix and still do, he has been a disaster. In my opinion, he was a bigger problem then Gailey if that is possible. I hated the signing of Fitz 20 minutes (it seemed) into free agency like he was some legend who every team in the league was going to throw millions at. My opinion has never wavered on any of the three, and although I am probably wrong on more things then I am right on, I was dead right on each one of these three, the proof is in the pudding. What has Nix done? People keep saying the team is better then when he took over-where is it better? He has been the GM over three terrible teams so far. He has had about 2 or 3 decent picks out of over 20 some draft picks he has made. In my opinion, the worst part of his tenure is his handling of the QB position, one 7th round pick, who had no chance of being a starter, and other teams cast offs and projects that nobody else wanted. He ignored the most important position on the team. It is one of the world's biggest mysteries to me, is why Buddy Nix is still the GM of the Buffalo Bills? Edited by BuffBill

lol... 4 wins, 6 wins, and 6 wins. that's terrible and is his legacy so far. "doesn't need to be saved" isn't even an option. of course it needs to be saved. the question is can he still save it. i'm changing my answer though from no, too late to yes if he gets a 10 top QB in this draft (since it seems pretty difficult) and we make the playoffs. anything short of that and it's pretty clear the Nix era was a bust.

He missed on the coach. Its hard to argue the overall talent level the last few years that been added. Retaining some of our best players has been his biggest contribution. JMO

Marv Levy's choice for coach was better than Nix's choice. Dick Juaron you can argue did more with less.

Nix made the call on Chan so that where he has to hang his hat.

Buddy and his scouting dept. missed on several players in the last few drafts.

Spiller, Cordy Glenn and Dareus are the only starters who have made a impact the last THREE drafts. Ok I will throw in Carrington and Bradham. That from a guy who says you got to get players in the draft. That my friends wont get it done.

Even if the Bills get a QB this year whoever it is the fact is they could have drafted QB's the last 2 yrs but did not. Plus giving Fitz that contract is another reason why he would never get a passing grade from me.

The "Chan sucks, Nix sucks" thing gets a little old over time. The critics might be right but let's remember where the Bills were at when they hired Nix and Gailey. You couldn't get a top candidate for either spot to touch this franchise with a 10 foot pole. Or has everyone forgotten?

Nix took the job after an increasingly out of touch and very old owner had given the position to his marketing guy, who came in on the heels of an in-over-his-head Marv Levy, who jumped in after the mess Tom Donohoe made of the team, who took over for the poorly treated John Butler, who got the job after Wilson fired Polian...Do you get the picture? The entire franchise was about as close to wrecked as it's possible to get in the NFL when Nix took over. Same with Gailey. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that they were about the only ones around who wanted the jobs.

So Nix's drafts weren't the greatest (but overall, they are rank well against other teams) and he didn't get that QB he should have. But in certain areas, he greatly improved the franchise in general, like enlarging the scouting department, bringing in Whaley, getting the cap under control, restocking the roster with some very solid FAs (especially in the backup slots), etc.

Here's a good way to judge the impact Nix has had: According to reporting at the time, when he took over as GM, he couldn't get any of the hot and/or top candidates to even interview for the head coach job, much less get to the point of negotiating. Nobody wanted anything to do with the Bills job. Yet when he fired Chan, it has been widely reported that his phone was ringing off the hook with guys -- supposedly some of them among those hot and/or top guys available -- angling for the job. That people around the league now view the Bills as a serious franchise is the best vote-of-confidence about the job Nix has done. And he did that in just three years. This is an amazing accomplishment and should not be undervalued.

He has definently added/kept talent on this team. But the results are horrible. I think nix has made two major mistakes that ruin the good things he has done:

1) hired a HC that hired 2 terrible DCs that could not use all the talent that was on that side of the ball. granted they are short linebackers, but lots of other good things on that D they should have been able to overcome.

2) Using so many resources on defense and ignoring offense. Pretty much all the talent Nix has brought in has been on defense. Best thing he brought to the offense was a couple of ok tackles. Chandler, and Spiller. Really needed to put some more resources into QB or Receiver.

Nix has done a lot of good things, things that we have wanted the bills do for awhile. But the two above mistakes really take away all the good things he has done and resulted in 3 losing seasons. And it wasn't like they lost, and came "close." They lost in ways you just cannot defend.

I would say the addition of Urbik, Pears, and Rinehart also count. Nelson, and D Jones (even though gone) were okay.

Alright to all the people who were saying well we could have had JPP,lets think about this. The Bills at the time at the Maybin thing going on,and were unlikely to spend another Top 15 pick, on a pass rusher with limited football experience. So IMO instead of bemoaning the fact that we didn't get JPP , we should instead be glad that Nix didn't take Brandon Graham.

"It comes down to priorities, not needs. Quarterback is their biggest need, but it doesn't mean it’s their top priority...."

:huh:

Can anybody explain how this makes any sense?