Bucky Gleason's article on Nix...Do you agree?

Nix's Legacy  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Can Nix's legacy be saved with a QB selection?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the Draft Pick ends up being a Top 10 QB

Just wondering...

I find Gleason's take to be a bit too forgiving of the past 3 years...Lets face it...Buddy's record is not too flattering...It's been hashed out around here ad nauseam, but I feel the evidence is pretty overwhelming...

So when Gleason says : "It comes down to priorities, not needs. Quarterback is their biggest need, but it doesn't mean it’s their top priority. If Nix makes the right moves, he can satisfy both and walk away satisfied that the Bills were in better shape when he left than when he arrived."

Forgive me if I'm not buying that take whatsoever...

Better shape than when he arrived? OK...1st of all, not a big accomplishment...2nd of all, if that can be argued at all I think it's it's proof positive Nix was pretty much a failure...We might be in better shape than terrible? OK...Great job Buddy! Walk away satisfied... :thumbsup:

15 Draft Picks on Defense only to field 3 of the 5 worst Defenses in team history...The hiring of Gailey which led to the hiring of both Edwards and Wanny...The backing of Fitzpatrick that led to ignoring not just good, but potentially great young QB's in the Draft...One 7th Round QB Drafted in 3 years while your starting QB leads the entire NFL in turnovers during that period...Valuing Aaron Williams as a bigger need than Dalton and Kaepernick...Valuing TJ Graham as a 3rd Round talent to begin with, then also valuing him as a bigger need than Russell Wilson...I could go on and on...

So...to me at least...unless Nix hits a grand slam Home Run with this QB selection in 2013, how in the world could this guy ever feel satisfied about how he left this team?...Going into the 2013 season, no matter what the Bills do in this Draft, they are going to be one of the favorites to land the 1st pick in 2014...Now granted the actual outcome in 2014 will be the final test...But still...If Nix leaves after the Draft in April, he's going to leave behind as many questions as he took-on coming in...

I'm not saying Buddy's tenure is doomed to be viewed as a complete failure just yet...He still gets to step up to the plate one more time in April and swing for the fences...But I am saying that the mistakes along the way over these past 3 years will forever leave the shoulda, coulda, and woulda's out there...And I really don't know how that could ever be satisfying for anyone tied to The Bills...Buddy, or the fans... B-)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of the moves made by Nix and chan have been undersold. The drafting of spiller, promoting stevie and fred into primary roles, glenn in the 2nd rd. All great moves. has he made some blunders? yes but i think time will show over the next few yrs that Buddy has set us up for a very successful future

He has definently added/kept talent on this team. But the results are horrible. I think nix has made two major mistakes that ruin the good things he has done:

1) hired a HC that hired 2 terrible DCs that could not use all the talent that was on that side of the ball. granted they are short linebackers, but lots of other good things on that D they should have been able to overcome.

2) Using so many resources on defense and ignoring offense. Pretty much all the talent Nix has brought in has been on defense. Best thing he brought to the offense was a couple of ok tackles. Chandler, and Spiller. Really needed to put some more resources into QB or Receiver.

Nix has done a lot of good things, things that we have wanted the bills do for awhile. But the two above mistakes really take away all the good things he has done and resulted in 3 losing seasons. And it wasn't like they lost, and came "close." They lost in ways you just cannot defend.

some of the moves made by Nix and chan have been undersold. The drafting of spiller, promoting stevie and fred into primary roles, glenn in the 2nd rd. All great moves. has he made some blunders? yes but i think time will show over the next few yrs that Buddy has set us up for a very successful future

All of that is moot considering he pushed a career backup on us and failed to get us a top QB. It is a QB league, it all starts and ends with the QB and we still do not have one because Nix stated there were none there better than Fitz while passing on Dalton, Capernick, Wilson etal.

I honestly do not believe he can scout QB talent.

So you see the Drafting of Spiller, with 2 Pro-Bowl caliber (and NFL Top 100) RB's currently on the Roster, as an undersold move? And it's nothing against Spiller who is clearly a dynamic RB...Are The Bills better off with Spiller and Jackson than they would be with Lynch, Jackson, and say...Anthony Davis, Earl Thomas, or JPP??? Set up for a very successful future? Maybe...But that is a massive leap of faith...Not one I could even imagine taking... B-)

So you see the Drafting of Spiller, with 2 Pro-Bowl caliber (and NFL Top 100) RB's currently on the Roster, as an undersold move? And it's nothing against Spiller who is clearly a dynamic RB...Are The Bills better off with Spiller and Jackson than they would be with Lynch, Jackson, and say...Anthony Davis, Earl Thomas, or JPP??? Set up for a very successful future? Maybe...But that is a massive leap of faith...Not one I could even imagine taking... B-)

I honestly think that if thomas or jpp were on our defense in the last three years, this coaching staff would find a way to screw it up still. They would probably put up nice stats, but we would still be terrible on defense. But Thomas and Byrd on the same team? man, that would be amazing to have with a decent coaching staff.

This is an awesome post. The right amount of fact mixed with the perfect amount of opinion. I would not want to be a GM in this multi billion dollar industry. So many things to consider when taking on new players. A player may excel in one system and fail in another. A GM would really have to read a players ability as well as their personality. You could have a great player at any position, but if they are bad locker room guys, it defeats the purpose. There are so many aspects to grade on athletes. Personality, intelligence, strength, stamina, you can go on and on. Take all the information gathered, try to make an intelligent decision, and hope for an insane amount of luck. Either way one can look like a hero, or just as easily a heel.

Freddy had already earned the job... Gailey took it away and tried Lynch/Spiller who both failed. Spiller is looking great now, but still not that great a pick since he didn't help us for 2 years.

Stevie was already primed to be a starter... I don't think it was even a competition, or give Gailey/Nix much credit for allowing it to happen.

Not to mention both of them were already here.

He was more misses in everything overall than hits... otherwise why would we have even less wins in these 3 years than the 3 before? I think he missed his chance at a legacy by not grabbing QB's the last 2 years. Taking Kaepernick or Dalton in 2011, or Wilson in 2012 and we have a different conversation. Especially since the guys he took immediately in front of them look like complete busts. I think it's too late now; likely 4 seasons without a playoff birth and done.

All of that is moot considering he pushed a career backup on us and failed to get us a top QB. It is a QB league, it all starts and ends with the QB and we still do not have one because Nix stated there were none there better than Fitz while passing on Dalton, Capernick, Wilson etal.

I honestly do not believe he can scout QB talent.

Dalton sucks.

Nix has made some solid moves, a few head scratches but overall I have no issues with Nix and his legacy doesn't need to be saved IMO.

lol... 4 wins, 6 wins, and 6 wins. that's terrible and is his legacy so far. "doesn't need to be saved" isn't even an option. of course it needs to be saved. the question is can he still save it. i'm changing my answer though from no, too late to yes if he gets a 10 top QB in this draft (since it seems pretty difficult) and we make the playoffs. anything short of that and it's pretty clear the Nix era was a bust.

Dalton sucks.

I'm not a huge Dalton guy...But he's better than Fitz...Maybe not significantly...But still better...And he's bigger, younger, and more athletic...He's a much better scrambler, and better at keeping a pass play alive...He's had 10 less INT's than Fitz in 2 years, almost identical TD's over that period...Also, Fitz fumbled almost twice as much as Dalton over the past 2 years...And lets not forget Dalton is only going into his 3rd Season...He can still get better...Fitz is what he is...

Anyway...

Just wondering...

I find Gleason's take to be a bit too forgiving of the past 3 years...Lets face it...Buddy's record is not too flattering...It's been hashed out around here ad nauseam, but I feel the evidence is pretty overwhelming...

So when Gleason says : "It comes down to priorities, not needs. Quarterback is their biggest need, but it doesn't mean it’s their top priority. If Nix makes the right moves, he can satisfy both and walk away satisfied that the Bills were in better shape when he left than when he arrived."

Forgive me if I'm not buying that take whatsoever...

Better shape than when he arrived? OK...1st of all, not a big accomplishment...2nd of all, if that can be argued at all I think it's it's proof positive Nix was pretty much a failure...We might be in better shape than terrible? OK...Great job Buddy! Walk away satisfied... :thumbsup:

15 Draft Picks on Defense only to field 3 of the 5 worst Defenses in team history...The hiring of Gailey which led to the hiring of both Edwards and Wanny...The backing of Fitzpatrick that led to ignoring not just good, but potentially great young QB's in the Draft...One 7th Round QB Drafted in 3 years while your starting QB leads the entire NFL in turnovers during that period...Valuing Aaron Williams as a bigger need than Dalton and Kaepernick...Valuing TJ Graham as a 3rd Round talent to begin with, then also valuing him as a bigger need than Russell Wilson...I could go on and on...

So...to me at least...unless Nix hits a grand slam Home Run with this QB selection in 2013, how in the world could this guy ever feel satisfied about how he left this team?...Going into the 2013 season, no matter what the Bills do in this Draft, they are going to be one of the favorites to land the 1st pick in 2014...Now granted the actual outcome in 2014 will be the final test...But still...If Nix leaves after the Draft in April, he's going to leave behind as many questions as he took-on coming in...

I'm not saying Buddy's tenure is doomed to be viewed as a complete failure just yet...He still gets to step up to the plate one more time in April and swing for the fences...But I am saying that the mistakes along the way over these past 3 years will forever leave the shoulda, coulda, and woulda's out there...And I really don't know how that could ever be satisfying for anyone tied to The Bills...Buddy, or the fans... B-)

Quite possibly Brandon bought drinks and dinner for Bucky Gleason at the combine. How else does one of the worst GM in the NFL get a pass?

lol... 4 wins, 6 wins, and 6 wins. that's terrible and is his legacy so far. "doesn't need to be saved" isn't even an option. of course it needs to be saved. the question is can he still save it. i'm changing my answer though from no, too late to yes if he gets a 10 top QB in this draft (since it seems pretty difficult) and we make the playoffs. anything short of that and it's pretty clear the Nix era was a bust.

I have to say...Only 15 votes to this point...But I'm pretty much shocked 6 out of 15 voted "Yes"...Some Bills fans are REAL easy to please... B-)

I'm not a huge Dalton guy...But he's better than Fitz...Maybe not significantly...But still better...And he's bigger, younger, and more athletic...He's a much better scrambler, and better at keeping a pass play alive...He's had 10 less INT's than Fitz in 2 years, almost identical TD's over that period...Also, Fitz fumbled almost twice as much as Dalton over the past 2 years...And lets not forget Dalton is only going into his 3rd Season...He can still get better...Fitz is what he is...

What does Dalton sucking at the QB position have to do with Fitz?

What does Dalton sucking at the QB position have to do with Fitz?

Whatever...You're boring me... ;)

Another question though...Is he better than Aaron Williams? :nana:

Edited by KOKBILLS

He could come out of this draft looking like a genius if the cards fall right. IMO, select another wide receiver with the 8th. We'll say Patterson from Tennessee for arguments sake. This does a couple of things. If Fitz is the starter this year, it gives him another option. It could help lessen the exploitation of our QB weakness, while affording the luxury of another offensive weapon for a replacement (franchise) QB to utilize for years to come. Assuming that some of the higher rated QB'S go in the first round, Nix could make a bid in the second for one depending what is available. If Bray is available, draft him. If not, look at a linebacker. There is a lot of concern with Brays maturity level, however that is not something new as far as QBS go. Jim McMahon had similar issues, and had arguably a decent career until his body couldn't take it anymore. Even Jim Kelly was a bit of a woman chasing partier early on. I had read an article once talking about John Elway shooting rabbits out of a moving vehicle when he first went to Denver. These guys were excellent QBS but didn't always do the mature thing. Don't let the maturity issue get in the way of winning ways. He will come around. If Bray is gone by the second round take a look at a QB in the third. Possibly Alex Carder. Not real tall, but plays with heart. He missed five games with an injury, and didn't have a real impressive record, but did well with what there was to work with. Give him a supporting cast and a learning curve, and he could possibly be a diamond in the rough. IMO.