The best cap/contract site just got better.

Dibs

For a while now I have used a particular site in regards to the Bills team/player cap numbers.

It seems that this site has recently expanded to cover all NFL teams(rather than just AFC East).....as well as adding just about everything you'd want to know about player cap hits, contracts, free agency, money spent on positions, future cap hits etc. The only thing it doesn't cover is past contracts & years.

For a number cruncher like myself, this site is now officially awesome! :w00t:

Enjoy.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bills&Year=2013

For a while now I have used a particular site in regards to the Bills team/player cap numbers.

It seems that this site has recently expanded to cover all NFL teams(rather than just AFC East).....as well as adding just about everything you'd want to know about player cap hits, contracts, free agency, money spent on positions, future cap hits etc. The only thing it doesn't cover is past contracts & years.

For a number cruncher like myself, this site is now officially awesome! :w00t:

Enjoy.

http://www.overtheca...Bills&Year=2013

Why is McKelvin's contract listed as dead money?

Why is McKelvin's contract listed as dead money?

I'm not sure....but I've seen that listed on other sites as well.

It happens to be the exact same amount as his SB average/year cap hit.....but I have no idea why it carried through to 2013.

After taking a look at this site, I can envision Scott Chandler being cut if he's not going to be ready to go for the '13 season. It's the last year of his deal, and he's due $300k in bonuses and a base salary of just over $2 million. Cutting him would result in $2.35 million of cap savings, which could be used to help lure a FA tight end to replace him, or even help sign a FA at another position. I like Chandler, and if he gets healthy he's worth his pay, but if he's not going to be a contributor this season there's no sense in paying him that money to rehab. If he had a couple of years left on his deal it'd be a different story, but he'll be a FA after this season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a goner.

After taking a look at this site, I can envision Scott Chandler being cut if he's not going to be ready to go for the '13 season. It's the last year of his deal, and he's due $300k in bonuses and a base salary of just over $2 million. Cutting him would result in $2.35 million of cap savings, which could be used to help lure a FA tight end to replace him, or even help sign a FA at another position. I like Chandler, and if he gets healthy he's worth his pay, but if he's not going to be a contributor this season there's no sense in paying him that money to rehab. If he had a couple of years left on his deal it'd be a different story, but he'll be a FA after this season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a goner.

You can't cut him.

You'd have to do an injury settlement and I'd guess that money counts against the cap.

He's been taken off IR, so I don't think that applies now(?)

Chandler is not medically cleared to play. Chandler was injured while under contract in a game. You can not cut him you have to go the injury settlement route.

(Y'alls is cruel. Dude only has one working leg and you want to take away his pay check too. I hope you all do not make personnel decisions in real life)

Chandler is not medically cleared to play. Chandler was injured while under contract in a game. You can not cut him you have to go the injury settlement route.

(Y'alls is cruel. Dude only has one working leg and you want to take away his pay check too. I hope you all do not make personnel decisions in real life)

Thanks for the info.....and I wasn't advocating cutting him.....just wanted clarification on those rules.

Personally I think he is an asset to this team....brick hands and all.

Does anyone know if Kelsay's retirement changes the cap figure differently than if he would have been released? Also, are we able to place the transition tag on levitre?

And from my perspective, releasing Brad Smith and restructuring fitz's contract would complete the necessary off season cuts and freeing up of cap space for this coming season.

Is this site providing any different/better info than spotrac.com? At least they already have the Kelsay data updated...

LOl...it's not a competition :)

Until you just mentioned it, I wasn't aware of how much information spotrac gave. Both are extremely good.....over the cap seems to me to be more user friendly......and has a couple of things like overall team cap room.

Personally, I have them both bookmarked & will use them both regularly.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dibs

So if I'm reading it right, looks like Bills have about $70m in cash expense for 2013. That leaves at least another $50m to spend if cash to cap is still being used.

That's what I get. They have us at $103M - $30M prorated bonuses giving us about $73M in cash expenses. So with a cap of $123M, yeah, about $50M to spend.

Before anyone goes bananas, remember that's cash to cap accounting. Watch how fast it goes...

Last year's #8 pick got a $7.6M signing bonus with a base salary for a total hit of $8M

Our 2nd round pick with get about a $2M signing bonus with a base salary for a total hit of around $2.5M

There will be a slight increase this year and then factor in all the other draft picks.

So estimate we will need to spend about $15M just on draft picks. Subtract that from our $50M and we are left with $35M.

Now let's say we re-sign both Byrd and Levitre. Say we get Byrd at 5yrs $35M and Levitre at 6yrs $40M (guessing). Both will want guarantees of about $15-$18M with a signing bonus of at least $10M. Even with back-loaded contracts that only pay $1M each this season, combine that with their $10M signing bonuses and it adds up to $22M.

So that's a generous estimate IMO but subtract that from $35M and we are quickly left with only $13M to spend. And we haven't signed any outside free agents yet.

Could we land a FA like Bowe or Jennings or Kruger? Possible but not likely. I'd say lower tier FAs like Dustin Keller and Mike DeVito are much more realistic. (that is, if we re-sign both Levitre and Byrd - and of course we may not be done cutting everyone yet)

Edited by QCity