The best cap/contract site just got better.

Dibs

What about the 9.8 mill roll over from 2012, where does that count in?

I didn't include it. Have the Bills requested that $9.8M? I didn't hear anything unless I missed it. I believe they have until 2 weeks before the season starts to request it...which would have been yesterday.

I didn't include it. Have the Bills requested that $9.8M? I didn't hear anything unless I missed it. I believe they have until 2 weeks before the season starts to request it...which would have been yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

The NFL’s projected salary cap for this year is $121(actually closer to $123) million per team. That’s up less than $1 million from last season.

Each team is allowed to roll over unused cap space from last year, if it so chooses. The Bills rolled over $9.8 million in unused space, so their actual cap limit is $130.4 million http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130213/SPORTS/130219671/1082

expected league wide cap is $123 mil........plus Bills $9.8 in carryover....for a total of $133 mil.....without kelsay we are now at $103 mil......currently $30 mil below the cap.......out of that you need $5 mil for 2013 draft picks.......$6-7 mil for Byrd and $8-9 mil for Levitre.......that leaves you about $10 mil for additional free agent(s).

That's what I get. They have us at $103M - $30M prorated bonuses giving us about $73M in cash expenses. So with a cap of $123M, yeah, about $50M to spend.

Before anyone goes bananas, remember that's cash to cap accounting. Watch how fast it goes...

Last year's #8 pick got a $7.6M signing bonus with a base salary for a total hit of $8M

Our 2nd round pick with get about a $2M signing bonus with a base salary for a total hit of around $2.5M

There will be a slight increase this year and then factor in all the other draft picks.

So estimate we will need to spend about $15M just on draft picks. Subtract that from our $50M and we are left with $35M.

Now let's say we re-sign both Byrd and Levitre. Say we get Byrd at 5yrs $35M and Levitre at 6yrs $40M (guessing). Both will want guarantees of about $15-$18M with a signing bonus of at least $10M. Even with back-loaded contracts that only pay $1M each this season, combine that with their $10M signing bonuses and it adds up to $22M.

So that's a generous estimate IMO but subtract that from $35M and we are quickly left with only $13M to spend. And we haven't signed any outside free agents yet.

Could we land a FA like Bowe or Jennings or Kruger? Possible but not likely. I'd say lower tier FAs like Dustin Keller and Mike DeVito are much more realistic. (that is, if we re-sign both Levitre and Byrd - and of course we may not be done cutting everyone yet)

I think we can eliminate possibility of any decent free agent WR or TE coming here with current QB situation. That $13m or so will probably buy a few starters on the defensive side of the ball. Would be nice to get a WR and QB with our first 2 picks in the draft.

expected league wide cap is $123 mil........plus Bills $9.8 in carryover....for a total of $133 mil.....without kelsay we are now at $103 mil......currently $30 mil below the cap.......out of that you need $5 mil for 2013 draft picks.......$6-7 mil for Byrd and $8-9 mil for Levitre.......that leaves you about $10 mil for additional free agent(s).

Usually the 1st year of any large deal has a lesser cap hit than the average year of the deal. This is due to both the SB coming through(leading to a lesser 1st year base salary)....and the latter years often having an inflationary type effect pushing them higher.

It wouldn't surprise me if Byrd & Levitre could both be signed for less than 10m of 2013 cap dollars.