Detroit Free Press mock draft

Beerball

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad mock. Werner is not going #2. And Lotolelielei top 5?

The more mock drafts I see, the more you realize it's kinda a weak draft in terms on top end talent. Not only are there no Lucks, but no Petersons or Von Millers either.

I sincerely hope the Bills take the BPA, which I think will be an O-lineman.

Or possibly a CB. Nix stated that McKelvin would probably be the starting CB opposite Gilmore, if that is the case they might consider Milliner (who probably will be gone) or Rhodes. With all the needs this team has if a DB is BPA go for it.

I would be very happy if Geno Smith was on the board when we picked. I would also be just as happy if Barkley was selected with our first pick. I would be pleasantly surprised if the Bills traded down and selected Tyler Wilson with a lower first round selection.

Will there be higher rated players than the the upper tier qbs on the board when we make our first selection? Yes. But this is the year for us to get a legitimate qb prospect on the roster that will then allow us to move on and address so many of our other needs.

When I hear Nix talking about the importance of staying true to your board I just cringe and curse. Being shackled by one's own inflexibility is one of the reasons why his record is 16-32 with very few wins against winning teams.

Last night on NFL Network Charley Casserly said some teams have Fisher rated ahead of Joeckel...He said Fisher had a better workout, and is more of a "move the pile" type-OT than Joeckel is...He thinks Fisher may go as high as #3 overall... B-)

FWIW, I believe Kiper currently has Fisher a place or two higher.

Yes I Smith falling to us. Maybe the Football Gods will shine on us this year.

It depends on what KC does. If they pass on getting Alex Smith then Andy Reid will pick Geno.

What KC does effects us big time.

Smith to KC was confirmed today...

i dont doubt hes a good player, i meant more along the lines of do you really pass on your choice of qb for a lineman if youre AZ

Right...Well...It's a good question...Of course the rumor mill has Az preferring Barkley to Smith...Would that not be a crazy scenario? Az takes a QB, and it's NOT Geno...That would be awesome drama... :D

i dont doubt hes a good player, i meant more along the lines of do you really pass on your choice of qb for a lineman if youre AZ

Yes you do if you believe that you could shore up your porous OL with the first round pick and still come away with a good qb prospect with your high second round pick. Will the Cardinals pursue Jake Long in the free agent marke? That can be a factor in what they do with their first draft pick. The Cardinals still have Kolb. He certainly is not an upper tier qb but he at least they have a fallback position at the qb spot.

Once the free agent market shakes out we will have a better sense on how the draft will develop. As it stands there are so many different calculations that it is difficult to get a bead on who is going to take whom. Now that KC consummated a trade to acquire Alex Smith that brightens our chances to get Geno Smith or Barkley. How about a trade down and getting Tyler Wilson plus picks? .

Edited by JohnC

I think that is...more or less...a product of the letdown from the top rated QB's in the past two Draft...While some Scouts do not rate Geno as a Top 10 Prospect, I have to say that I cannot think of a single analyst, ex GM, or ex Scout on the NFL Network this past week that does not have Geno the #1 Rated QB in this Draft...Some even commented that there was a wide gap between Geno and the #2 QB, who most believe is still Barkley...Tools-wise, and production-wise in College, Smith clearly has a lot of upside...

So while I definitely do agree that he does not have the buzz of Cam, RGII, or Luck...He's still pretty well thought of overall...And I don't think anyone would blink for a second if the Bills took him at #8 overall... B-)

I started to write that I don't know what to think, then I asked myself the following question: Would I be more surprised at Geno Smith's success in the NFL or his failure? The answer to that question tells me to invest a lower pick this year.

Or possibly a CB. Nix stated that McKelvin would probably be the starting CB opposite Gilmore, if that is the case they might consider Milliner (who probably will be gone) or Rhodes. With all the needs this team has if a DB is BPA go for it.

As much as it makes me want to vomit, I guess I agree. But only because I think Rhodes is flat out nasty in press/man.

Yes you do if you believe that you could shore up your porous OL with the first round pick and still come away with a good qb prospect with your high second round pick. Will the Cardinals pursue Jake Long in the free agent marke? That can be a factor in what they do with their first draft pick. The Cardinals still have Kolb. He certainly is not an upper tier qb but he at least they have a fallback position at the qb spot.

Once the free agent market shakes out we will have a better sense on how the draft will develop. As it stands there are so many different calculations that it is difficult to get a bead on who is going to take whom. Now that KC consummated a trade to acquire Alex Smith that brightens our chances to get Geno Smith or Barkley. How about a trade down and getting Tyler Wilson plus picks? .

take this with a grain of salt, as i hate one time examples for trying to prove a rule, but i think a good rule of thumb is qb first if you are really looking at holes to fill at qb and on the line.

i think thats one of the biggest flubs parcells made in miami, and dmitrioff in atlanta got to school him on it.

obviously, its possible that ryan couldve failed and henne succeeded and changed that whole example, but as a general rule of thumb, i think Atlanta did it right, and it happened to pay off in that one.

a bad LT is a lot easier to help than a bad qb. a bad qb also effects 100% of offensive plays, while not every mistake the LT makes does. just a few reasons i want my best shot at the qb, and ill take a tackle with a few more concerns.

I keep seeing support for the Bills drafting Matt Barkley at #8. Sorry, but I just don't see it...

1. Geno Smith is both an athletically gifted and strong armed QB who is genuinely worthy of a 1st round grade because of this duel threat. Matt Barkley is neither athletically gifted nor does he have a strong arm to garner such a consideration. Barkley seems more mentally mature of the two, but you actually have to have the physical traits of a franchise QB to be considered a top 10 drafted QB who will in fact be expected to become a franchise QB. Smith is such a player, Barkley is not.

2. I see very little difference between what both Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib bring to the table. If anything, I see Ryan Nassib as having a higher upside because he isn't the finished product that Matt Barkley is. Barkley is as good as he's going to get. He just spent four years starting at a top college program. What you see is what you get and there is no more higher ceiling to what he is right now. Now I'm not a Nassib fan and I don't want the Bills to draft either him or Barkley, but the simple question remains...Why would the Bills draft Matt Barkley (coming of a shoulder injury no less) when they could draft Ryan Nassib with the second round pick?

I still hope the Bill get either Jordan, Patterson or Ansah at #8 and EJ Manuel in the second. I think EJ Manuel's the entire franchise QB package (who may need a year or two of development) but who will have a Steve McNair type of franchise QB career. I just don't trust Geno Smith's leadership qualities, however I'll certainly get on board and support the selection if he's the pick.

I think trading UP for any QB in this particular draft would be very foolish and I welcome the JESTS to pull such a bone-headed move.

Agreed - but more than what I think, I just don't think the little hints OBD has been slipping point to Smith at all.

It's hard to picture the QB OBD talks about as "winning the big/clutch games" would be the same guy Marone beat twice in bowl games.

How about the one the lit his team up the last 2 years.....Barkley?

take this with a grain of salt, as i hate one time examples for trying to prove a rule, but i think a good rule of thumb is qb first if you are really looking at holes to fill at qb and on the line.

i think thats one of the biggest flubs parcells made in miami, and dmitrioff in atlanta got to school him on it.

obviously, its possible that ryan couldve failed and henne succeeded and changed that whole example, but as a general rule of thumb, i think Atlanta did it right, and it happened to pay off in that one.

a bad LT is a lot easier to help than a bad qb. a bad qb also effects 100% of offensive plays, while not every mistake the LT makes does. just a few reasons i want my best shot at the qb, and ill take a tackle with a few more concerns.

I listened to this 20 minute podcast from Joe B on WGR with Howard Simon. He as much as anyone has a sense of what the Bills organization is thinking. After listening to him I got very discouraged at what the Bills' are going to do. At this point the Bills are not going to show their hand. So speculations are circulating all around with llittle credibility attached to the outside guessing.

The underlying theme that I took out of this podcast is that in three years Nix has screwed up this franchise. He has accomplished little and has left this franchise little better than when he took over. His drafts have been disasterous to the point that little has been gained. He drafted for positions and then in the end the same positions still need to be upgraded. Joe B described how an incompetent GM has left this putrid organization futilely spinning its wheels and going nowhere.

Joe B is usually a very discreet in his criticisms of this organization. In this podcast he paints a very discouraging picture.

My position is very simple in this upcoming draft: If we don't come up with a quality franchise qb prospect in this draft it will be another one of many failed drafts.

http://audio.wgr550....quarterback.htm

Edited by JohnC

After looking at the Mock a bit more it's actually not great...But I like any Mock that has the Bills getting Geno...

I too think Joeckel will end up going to KC...

I think there is a good chance Milliner will end up in the top 5...

I think Werner is solid but unspectacular, and teams will struggle with Drafting him in the Top 10...

I think Fisher and Lane Johnson join Joekel in the Top 10...Fisher likely Top 5...

I think Sharrif Floyd, not Star Lotulelei will be the 1st DT taken...And I think Scouts have always seen it that way...Not sure why so many assumed Lotulelei was the #1 DT...

I think Dion Jordan is a sure fire Top 10 pick, and Mingo is not...

There are a ton of folks who are comparing Cordarelle Patterson to Julio Jones all of a sudden...I'm not saying I agree...But I am saying that kind of buzz could easily land him in the Top 10...

I can't see how Chance Warmack does not go higher than #9...That is of course if it's really true that many Scouts consider him the highest rated player in this Draft...I know he's an OG...But he's really highly thought of...

I think somehow, someway, the Top 10 should come from these 12 players...Joeckel, Milliner, Fisher, Floyd, Warmack, Jordan, Geno, Johnson, Patterson, Jarvis Jones, Werner, and Ziggy Ansah...

We'll see soon enough... B-)

What specifically about Werner makes you say he's unspectacular?

I don't know about his time pre-steelers, but the steelers oline didn't have high draft picks at the tackle position for Arians. Picking Luck was predetermined so I don't think Arians' Indy time would count, but I think Arians would lean toward taking a qb over an OT.

It doesn't seem like people in the know are all that excited about Geno. I don't really have an opinion, but I do worry that he played with two high quality RAC-monster WRs in a weak conference.

Last time I checked the Patriots win with RAC-monster receivers and RBs in a weak division.