Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

For the record, i don't like the move at all. They had nothing to lose by keeping him., He's not a great WR by any stretch, but at this point, there's no reason to let him walk, not until they've got someone better on the roster. He's a decent 4th WR.

all this move does is open up another hole on the roster. I see no way someone can put.a positive spin on this.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me for waiting for confirmation on whats going, instead of taking your cue and acting like a frothing lunatic and using the opportunity to start a "i'm smarter than the Bills, and i hope they fail so i can be proven right" circle jerk.

Let me translate......you thought you saw an opportunity to be a smartass and you were wrong.

Bills fans can be broken up into two main categories: Those who want to know......and those who don't.

If you want to blindly follow the team, then good for you. I don't. And if you aren't interested in past history....or LOGIC......then expect me to call you out.

I spend a significant amount of time on this hobby and I like to understand the product.

But the idea that I am a "frothing lunatic" is laughable. I haven't even been upset at the end of a Bills game since the Music City Miracle.

I ALWAYS have fun with it and the Bills always make me smile(with the exception of the 6-3 home loss to the Browns a few years ago). If they didn't, I wouldn't buy the product and I wouldn't invest the time.

Plenty of TBD'ers here who can confirm this on those 7 Sundays per year when we gather at the stadium.

I don't live and die with the wins and losses. I just enoy the wins more than I enjoy the losses.....which are also often funny and predictable......and I want to see the team doing what it takes to get those W's.

It's not about being right or wrong. I would LOVE to be wrong about the Bills and see them win. The surprises......like an UDFA WR coming in and playing very well.....are EXTRA fun.

There is a method to their losing though. And when you are able to see how the team repeats it's mistakes, you understand why they don't win.

In closing.....MARRRRRRRRONE....get a QB already

A rookie could do Nelson's job as well or better.

And that's not even considering the likelihood that his "job" will change under the new regime, and he won't be asked to specialize in the things he did before.

Come to think of it, there are probably rookies that could come right in and outperform Kraig Urbik, Erik Pears, Scott Chandler, Kelvin Sheppard, Aaron Williams, Nigel Bradham.

Probably a half dozen LT's who could outplay Cordy Glenn too.

I mean, HELL, if you are going to start the process why not do it right?

And yeah, it's hard to imagine a Saints-type offense with a slow footed 6'7" posession receiver. Never win a SB like that.

If you want to blindly follow the team, then good for you. I don't. And if you aren't interested in past history....or LOGIC......then expect me to call you out.

You mean like this?

snapback.pngBADOLBEELZ, on 23 February 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

And no Nelson isn't a great player, but he has been an important player. He lead the team in receptions in 2011 and the chances are good he would have done the same in 2012 if not for his ACL injury. The guy is not a spare part, he is the second best receiver on the Bills roster and by a considerable margin.

Facts, Jack: In 2011, Stevie Johnson led the team with 76 receptions for 1004 yds (#18 in the league). Nelson was 2nd, #41 in the league with 61 receptions for 658 yds.

That's pretty good, but it doesn't even approach a #2 or #3 WR on a top team with a pass-heavy offense. And while I agree Nelson is a good steady WR who doesn't drop many balls, he doesn't have elite speed or elite ability to overcome coverage, he can be jammed at the line, and I don't recall him making many of the stellar jumping/diving/adjustment catches that the top wideouts make.

Everyone gets stuff wrong now and again, I get it wrong myself on occasion and chow down my serving of crow. It's the crowing about how y'all are Mr Historian and are gonna "call people out" if they aren't interested in history...in a thread where you get something wrong that's germaine to the thread, and easy to verify, is kind of surreal even for TBD

I'd have liked to see the Bills sign Nelson, but for all we know they offered him what they felt was a reasonable incentivized contract for a WR coming off a serious injury, and he turned it down in favor of seeing what he brings on the market...can't blame him there, and can't blame the Bills for not wanting to put a $2 million tender on the guy when he's never played in the West Coast type offense Marrone is said to favor, and has shown well in a spread.

You mean like this?

snapback.pngBADOLBEELZ, on 23 February 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

And no Nelson isn't a great player, but he has been an important player. He lead the team in receptions in 2011 and the chances are good he would have done the same in 2012 if not for his ACL injury. The guy is not a spare part, he is the second best receiver on the Bills roster and by a considerable margin.

Facts, Jack: In 2011, Stevie Johnson led the team with 76 receptions for 1004 yds (#18 in the league). Nelson was 2nd, #41 in the league with 61 receptions for 658 yds.

That's pretty good, but it doesn't even approach a #2 or #3 WR on a top team with a pass-heavy offense. And while I agree Nelson is a good steady WR who doesn't drop many balls, he doesn't have elite speed or elite ability to overcome coverage, he can be jammed at the line, and I don't recall him making many of the stellar jumping/diving/adjustment catches that the top wideouts make.

Everyone gets stuff wrong now and again, I get it wrong myself on occasion and chow down my serving of crow. It's the crowing about how y'all are Mr Historian and are gonna "call people out" if they aren't interested in history...in a thread where you get something wrong that's germaine to the thread, and easy to verify, is kind of surreal even for TBD

I'd have liked to see the Bills sign Nelson, but for all we know they offered him what they felt was a reasonable incentivized contract for a WR coming off a serious injury, and he turned it down in favor of seeing what he brings on the market...can't blame him there, and can't blame the Bills for not wanting to put a $2 million tender on the guy when he's never played in the West Coast type offense Marrone is said to favor, and has shown well in a spread.

Yes, I was wrong. His 61 receptions didn't lead the team, it was second to Stevie.

But since I put the amount of grabs in that post, I really didn't see a need to address your response. I wasn't trying to shock anyone or skew the facts, but you do realize that being 41st in the NFL in receptions in a league of 32 teams does not support the idea that he is insignificant?

You get that right?

Even if all the players on that list were wide receivers.....he would have been the 9th most productive #2 receiver in terms of receptions. You get that, right? :thumbsup:

I look at Nelson's release as a sign the Bills are moving to more of a more upfield throwing game as opposed to a short passing game. They need faster recievers for this to work.

I liked Nelson more than I did D.Jones. But Nelson wasn't even drafted the year he came out.

They must like the WR's in this years draft to make this move. I mean really like them to make Jones and Nelson history.

I can see them drafting WR Cordarrelle Patterson in the first round , that is if Geno Smith doesnt fall to us, which just might happen.

Edited by Bufcomments

I've got to think that Pettine's input is part of some of these decisions. He was in part responsible for defending against the Bills for four years. I'm sure he's watched enough film of Buffalo's offense to provide input into who is good and who isn't.

I'm sure that he's spent the entire month watching tape, yet I fail to see how he would have intimate knowledge of the Bills, considering the last time he defended against the Bills during those four years was certainly not in any time when any of the current Bills were on the roster.

But I digress.

How in the world can people predict what kind of offense Marrone will run when there isn't an NFL caliber QB on the roster, and the only time that the incumbent starter looked half way decent was when he had a healthy David Nelson on the field?

This move is very perplexing considering the low cost of retaining Nelson, lack of immediate talent on the team, and craptastic history of free agent WRs contributing to new teams. The only way this makes sense is that Bills are more concerned about his injury or that there's something else behind the decision, because in the football sense, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure that he's spent the entire month watching tape, yet I fail to see how he would have intimate knowledge of the Bills, considering the last time he defended against the Bills during those four years was certainly not in any time when any of the current Bills were on the roster.

But I digress.

How in the world can people predict what kind of offense Marrone will run when there isn't an NFL caliber QB on the roster, and the only time that the incumbent starter looked half way decent was when he had a healthy David Nelson on the field?

This move is very perplexing considering the low cost of retaining Nelson, lack of immediate talent on the team, and craptastic history of free agent WRs contributing to new teams. The only way this makes sense is that Bills are more concerned about his injury or that there's something else behind the decision, because in the football sense, it doesn't make any sense.

Russ is cheap

But I digress.

Yup. Amazing that one of the excuses we heard for Fitz's struggles last year was tha Nelson got injured in week 1. So what does the new staff do? It keeps Fitz on the roster and jettisons one of his dependable security blankets. Sound like a smart move to anyone?

all this move does is open up another hole on the roster. I see no way someone can put.a positive spin on this.

Can I give it a whirl? When Marrone got hired he said "“We will soon will be looking at film of all players and taking an extensive look at their skill sets."

We have to believe that Nix and the coaching staff talked about Nelson. Marrone is at the very least a very good offensive guy. If Marrone said he's just not a fit for what we are going to try to do then I've got to believe he knows what he's doing.

Clearly it wasn't about money, decent chance it's a concern about the injury, but more likely Marrone just doesn't think Nelson can perform in his scheme.

Clearly it wasn't about money, decent chance it's a concern about the injury, but more likely Marrone just doesn't think Nelson can perform in his scheme.

You are very correct about this. Let's hope that Marrone can back up the expectations better than the shtick the "no more fat guys" blowhard did.

Can I give it a whirl? When Marrone got hired he said "“We will soon will be looking at film of all players and taking an extensive look at their skill sets."

We have to believe that Nix and the coaching staff talked about Nelson. Marrone is at the very least a very good offensive guy. If Marrone said he's just not a fit for what we are going to try to do then I've got to believe he knows what he's doing.

In any event, I am not sure there is really any accountability with regard to decisions to let players go. The focus is always on draft picks. It's......geez, McKelvin was a bust......not, why did we let Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements and Jabari Greer go. McKelvin's contract is up and those guys were still starting a lot of games last year for Minnesota(playoffs) Cinci(playoffs) and Saints. A great deal of the problem with the Bills drafting is that they are always trying to plug holes, and letting productive players go has been a problem. Nelson was an underrated young player for the Bills. He could very well go somewhere else, catch 70-80 passes and the Bills could find themselves burning a second round pick on a big posession receiver in the next draft or two. That's the way it has worked in Buffalo. Just not a risk worth exposing too, IMO.

You are very correct about this. Let's hope that Marrone can back up the expectations better than the shtick the "no more fat guys" blowhard did.

He'd better hit the ground going forward. This is more of a Meathead Mularkey type personnel situation than when Gailey took over after some REALLY bad personnel years. The cupboard was not bare.

Give the 2012 team a good QB and a good DC(Pettine) and they are a team that should be in contention for a playoff spot in December.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Exactly...Of course I'm assuming Nelson will be 100% for Camp, and the knee is sound...But from all reports that seems to be the case...

It's a stupid move plain and simple...But that's what the Bills do best, especially under Buddy...So should we be at all surprised? B-)

With the Bills letting go both Jones and now Nelson I've got yo believe they have their sites set on a couple of significant FA WRs, hoping to land at least one of them.

I can't imagine drafting another early round WR and hoping he will be ready to contribute anytime soon. TJ Graham looked lost most of the year, as should be expected of any rookie wr, so why would they want to go through that process once again this year.

The Bills really need to have at least one more experienced WR on the roster to fill the #2 wr role "this year".

With the Bills letting go both Jones and now Nelson I've got yo believe they have their sites set on a couple of significant FA WRs, hoping to land at least one of them.

I can't imagine drafting another early round WR and hoping he will be ready to contribute anytime soon. TJ Graham looked lost most of the year, as should be expected of any rookie wr, so why would they want to go through that process once again this year.

The Bills really need to have at least one more experienced WR on the roster to fill the #2 wr role "this year".

I wouldn't be to sure about that. This is looking like a very strong draft for WRs. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them take one early.

Rumors have it that the Bills want to make another FA splash this year, and that it will come in the form of Dwayne Bowe.

To make a move like that AND lock up Levitre and Byrd, it's prudent not to commit $2M on a 6'7" dude who was slow before he blew up his knee.

A few players David Nelson is not: London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Fat Pat, Lynch or McGahee. He was a role player, not a fixture--so those comparisons can now stop.

A rookie could do Nelson's job as well or better.

And that's not even considering the likelihood that his "job" will change under the new regime, and he won't be asked to specialize in the things he did before.

If the Bills do go out and land Bowe that would certainly soften the blow...But Bowe is not going to come cheap, and that's an understatement...I like Bowe...But I'm really not sure he's worth top tier WR money...

I disagree that a Rookie can come in and match Nelson, and I think that kind of opinion does serious injustice to exactly who David Nelson is and how good he was in his role...There are not many 6-5 WR's with a knack for getting open on 3rd Down, and in the Red Zone, the way Nelson does...I think TJ Graham is proof enough that a Rookie is no lock to step in and fill Nelson's shoes...But we'll see soon enough... B-)