DaQuan bowers arrested

NoSaint

didnt read the article or hear any other info but right after I saw what happened this is immediately what I thought of.

The guy probably wanted to transport the weapon properly and attempted to do so but was not helped. Or was not aware of the proper directions.

I have a concealed weapons permit and can carry anywhere in NY, NYC, or any of the other 49 states and that includes airplanes. Do I know the proper procedures to do this? Absolutely not.

Just making a point, maybe he has a permit for the weapon in another state but doesn't know the correct way to transport the weapon.

As far as comparing his story to Plaxicos story. There's one big difference, his weapon wasnt fired in a public place. Just saying.

I highly doubt he recieves any jail time. More likely a bunch of hefty fines and community service. At the worst case ( for him), maybe he is given the option between prison time or a shock incarceration center. In that case, there's a huge possibility he comes to my jail. Ill make sure I get autographs.

Ummm, no you can't!

You would be the very next plax if caught in Nassau county with that handgun. I also have a NYS pistol permit and I know I can't take it into NYC / Nassau county.

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the NY law doesn't discriminate between the two cases. It's a 3.5 minimum just for having it, not shooting it.. I'd confidently say he gets a lesser charge to plea to but I imagine it'll be hard to get down to nothing in jail.

It'd be interesting if some writers researched the typical punishment here, as he can't be the first.

i still say I highly doubt he gets any jail time. It's more of a case of a misunderstanding and a mistake. Plaxicos situation was different. He was going out to a club. His weapon went off and he was trying to hide the fact that he was shot.

I don't believe Bowers will see any jail time. Only community service and fines.

It's interesting because it appears that the gun was not discovered by security but that he voluntarily turned it over at the check-in counter. However the Queens County DA said that the charge would've been the same if security had discovered the gun. Really? If someone has a concealed carry permit (assuming he does), takes a gun into an airport and asks how to transport it at the check-in counter he is in the same category as someone who tries to sneak a loaded gun by security? That doesn't seem right.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/bucs-daquan-bowers-arrested-at-airport-on-gun-charge/1275692

i still say I highly doubt he gets any jail time. It's more of a case of a misunderstanding and a mistake. Plaxicos situation was different. He was going out to a club. His weapon went off and he was trying to hide the fact that he was shot.

I don't believe Bowers will see any jail time. Only community service and fines.

What offense do you think they plea him down to in order to get that?

He is going to jail !! Just like Plax, No amount of money will save him because the city refuses to allow anyone to get away with carrying an unlicensed gun. They don't want to set a precedent in that NYC Law

There is NO peaceable travel / journey law that allows anyone to carry an unlicensed handgun thru NYC / Nassau county. The federal law doesn't provide protection even if just passing thru

People have been arrested for having an unregistered handgun when flying out of N.Y. airports. In 2005, Gregg C. Revell was traveling through Newark Airport, but because of a missed flight, he was given his luggage, which included a properly checked firearm, and he was forced to spend the night in New Jersey. When he returned to the airport the following day and checked his handgun, he was arrested for illegal possession. Mr. Revell lost his lawsuit after The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit held in Gregg C. Revell v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey,[22] held that "Section 926A does not apply to Revell because his firearm and ammunition were readily accessible to him during his stay in New Jersey." This opinion will apply to N.Y. airports.[citation needed] If you miss a flight, or for any reason your flight is interrupted, and the airline attempts to return your luggage to you (that contains a lawfully-checked firearm), to avoid Mr. Revell's situation, you should REFUSE in any way to handle or touch the luggage containing the firearm (not even to immediately check it on to your later flight).

http://en.wikipedia....aws_in_New_York

Edited by FeartheLosing

This is apparently the law:

http://www.new-york-...ey-1580412.html

"Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree – NY PL 265.03(3)

A person is guilty of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree pursuant to New York Penal Law 265.03(3) when that person possesses a loaded firearm (pistol, revolver, handgun, etc.) outside his or her home or place of business without a permit regardless of what the intent was. If that was not clear enough, if you possess your duly licensed pistol from Maine, Texas or New Jersey in New York without a license in this state and it is loaded, you are going to be charged with this offense. What makes matters worse is that under the laws of New York, "loaded" does not mean a clip in the gun or a bullet in the cylinder. If the firearm is capable of being loaded and the bullets are in the case with the gun or even in your pocket, you can still potentially be charged with this offense. Unfortunately, ignorance of the law in New York is no defense. Whether you are properly checking the firearm at LaGuardia or JFK Airports in Queens or have it anywhere else in New York, possessing that firearm will land you in state prison without an assertive and compelling defense."

Bold emphasis is mine.

Edited by vincec

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/bowers-faces-same-charge-as-burress/

In the context of the Burress case, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN pointed out the wide differences that often arise in cases of this nature, with 24 percent of the defendants who entered a guilty plea to third-degree criminal possession of a weapon being sentenced to possession with no jail time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/bowers-faces-same-charge-as-burress/

In the context of the Burress case, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN pointed out the wide differences that often arise in cases of this nature, with 24 percent of the defendants who entered a guilty plea to third-degree criminal possession of a weapon being sentenced to possession with no jail time.

That still leaves 76% serving jail time even with a guilty plea.

But a good share there, as I was curious about comparables. That was also 3rd degree, and he's charged second degree- so that'd be his plea option likely.

Being a public figure hurts him though, as if he slides it weakens the law more than if you or I slide by.

Edited by NoSaint

I wonder if it was really loaded, or loaded by NYCs minimum standards.

It's real dumb on his part but the extreme nature of this law has got to have him VERY worried. It just doesn't seem like good legislation when you read stories like the one up thread.

I have to think post plaxico... All these guys are warned early and often. Between teams in NY, games in NY, league offices in ny, agents and such in ny, parties and now the Super Bowl in ny.... Players must get a dozen warnings that they can't have their guns there.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't know how people *forget* where they keep their firearms. That always baffled me. You'd think of all the things you'd forget in a day, where your loaded firearm is located wouldn't be one of them. Ever.

Loaded firearms on planes is easy. Unless you're a LEO who's completed the training for carrying on an airplane and a raft of other procedures, don't even dare.

He was going to get in trouble at any airport in the United States. It's not like an airport in Texas would have been anymore lenient.

He has to do time. Unlicensed gun in NYC. Gun law fervor is at its maximum. He should have known better--"i'm stupid" isn't a defense. No way they let him slide.

Why does this moron have a gun with him anyway? He's completely unrecognizable to the public (until now).

I dunno how you can ship Plax upstate and not Bowers. It's the exact same offense to the same law.

I'm not a gun guy, but it's among the worst NY laws....and New York State is loaded with them. There's a buncha headscratchers out in Suffolk County where the towns like to get creative.

I dunno how you can ship Plax upstate and not Bowers. It's the exact same offense to the same law.

I'm not a gun guy, but it's among the worst NY laws....and New York State is loaded with them. There's a buncha headscratchers out in Suffolk County where the towns like to get creative.

Discharging a weapon in a nightclub is the same offense as being dumb enough to carry it into an airport and declare you have it?

That's like saying doing 90 in a 35 is the same as 75 in a 65. Both speeding tickets but....