DaQuan bowers arrested

NoSaint

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I didn't know the gun was loaded. That's definitely bad.

And the earlier account I read suggested that he brought the gun to the attention of security but I just read a report that the gun was found during a search of his luggage. That seems to contradict what I read earlier.

The charge was possession of a loaded gun, which by the law is atleast in a position to be easily loaded (if not actually). That's why it's felony and 3.5 years minimum if convicted.

i assumed when reading the variations of the story that the most likely was that he put his bag on the belt, got pulled aside and he said "yea i have a gun in there - thats not ok?"

Edited by NoSaint

I'd be willing to bet that that 24% consists of off duty police officers from other jurisdictions, guards ETC, caught carrying in Nassau county. Plus, lawyers and other top executives of companies that have the political clout to get themselves out of this type of incident with a slap on the wrist.

Normal everyday Joe's are gonna do the time. So IMHO Bowers is going to jail, no question. The only real question is, for how long. Like I stated earlier, the NYC courts do not want to set a precedent on a high profile NFL player.

No. They wouldn't be part of that statistic as they would never be arrested and, if so, never charged.

I'd be willing to bet that that 24% consists of off duty police officers from other jurisdictions, guards ETC, caught carrying in Nassau county. Plus, lawyers and other top executives of companies that have the political clout to get themselves out of this type of incident with a slap on the wrist.

Normal everyday Joe's are gonna do the time. So IMHO Bowers is going to jail, no question. The only real question is, for how long. Like I stated earlier, the NYC courts do not want to set a precedent on a high profile NFL player.

FYI, Peace Officer status allows you to carry a concealed weapon in any county in NYS.

No. They wouldn't be part of that statistic as they would never be arrested and, if so, never charged.

If they find a handgun they get arrested, then go thru the system like everyone else. Politicians from other counties / states, and their guards might get a free walk, although they need to let the local departments know they are there in advance.

FYI, Peace Officer status allows you to carry a concealed weapon in any county in NYS.

If you are a NYS Peace Officer or DOC Officer not working in NYC you had better check with the Police in Nassau county before you carry in NYC out of uniform / off duty.

I actually was thinking law enforcement officers from other states, counties as most officers I know always carry, and afaik the NYC law applies to everyone. Out of 1,344,436 people only about 3000 are licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

From what I understand off duty NYC DOC have to apply for a permit to carry off duty 6 mo after they get the job. Then it might take up to two years before a permit is granted and even then they are very picky about who can carry. Any docks on your record and its a no go.

Just unreal that people don't know how tough the NYC law is on handguns. This just after NYS passed the toughest gun laws in the nation

A friend of mine told me his brother was being carjacked and shot the culprit, didn't kill him tho. The brother got more time in prison for having an unlicensed handgun then the carjacker did.

In Nassau county You even need a permit to own a rifle or shotgun, and getting a permit for a handgun is almost impossible . http://www.police.co...s/forms_faq.htm

> A friend of mine told me his brother was being carjacked and shot the culprit, didn't kill him tho. The brother

> got more time in prison for having an unlicensed handgun then the carjacker did.

That's some really messed-up legislation right there!

Oh, this old thing? The loaded weapon? On an airplane! Totally forgot about that. Yeah.

Can we all agree that the guy is colossally stupid either way? That, or he forgot that he wasn't an air marshal, or has forgotten that for the past 11 years airport security is just short of Pentagon security.

I think most people are stupid. The stupidity of my fellow man is disheartening. But until they show a depraved heart or bad intentions I generally don't derive pleasure from their misfortune.

If you are a NYS Peace Officer or DOC Officer not working in NYC you had better check with the Police in Nassau county before you carry in NYC out of uniform / off duty.

I actually was thinking law enforcement officers from other states, counties as most officers I know always carry, and afaik the NYC law applies to everyone. Out of 1,344,436 people only about 3000 are licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

From what I understand off duty NYC DOC have to apply for a permit to carry off duty 6 mo after they get the job. Then it might take up to two years before a permit is granted and even then they are very picky about who can carry. Any docks on your record and its a no go.

i am a NYS DOCS Officer and I can state for fact that this is incorrect. I have Peace Officer status and can carry a concealed weapon on my person at anytime as long as it is registered on my badge.

Also, to your point about waiting 6 months after being hired that I must apply for a permit is incorrect.

At no time as a NYS DOCS Officer am I obligated to apply for a permit for a hand gun. The only time this hold true, is that, IF... I have a weapon on my badge and I retire or quit, I must have a permit to transfer my weapon to before that happens.

As far as I remember, there is no period of time that I needed to wait before purchasing a gun on my badge but it is not recommended until you are off probation at the 1 year mark. But I knew others that I graduated the academy with that had weapons on thier badge before that year mark.

6 months might be correct as far as waiting before you can do that (I don't remember)

But your wrong about the rest. And FYI, the reason why we are allowed to carry in NYC is because 70% of inmates are from NYC and NYS corrections officers often must travel into the city for funerals, hospital trips, etc... And because of this reason, it is approved on our badges with our peace officer status which follow the individual regardless of being on duty or not.

I'm not sure what kind of business your in, but I can tell you, your wrong.

Edited by mrags

i am a NYS DOCS Officer and I can state for fact that this is incorrect. I have Peace Officer status and can carry a concealed weapon on my person at anytime as long as it is registered on my badge.

Also, to your point about waiting 6 months after being hired that I must apply for a permit is incorrect.

At no time as a NYS DOCS Officer am I obligated to apply for a permit for a hand gun. The only time this hold true, is that, IF... I have a weapon on my badge and I retire or quit, I must have a permit to transfer my weapon to before that happens.

As far as I remember, there is no period of time that I needed to wait before purchasing a gun on my badge but it is not recommended until you are off probation at the 1 year mark. But I knew others that I graduated the academy with that had weapons on thier badge before that year mark.

6 months might be correct as far as waiting before you can do that (I don't remember)

But your wrong about the rest. And FYI, the reason why we are allowed to carry in NYC is because 70% of inmates are from NYC and NYS corrections officers often must travel into the city for funerals, hospital trips, etc... And because of this reason, it is approved on our badges with our peace officer status which follow the individual regardless of being on duty or not.

I'm not sure what kind of business your in, but I can tell you, your wrong.

You may be right as I'm simply talking with a friend who used to work for the NYC DOC. Things might have changed since he worked for them. From what he is saying you need to be approved by the warden to carry off duty, and that only applies to NYC DOC.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and call a NYC attorney or NYC police station and ask them before you enter that city out of uniform with a concealed handgun.

You may be right as I'm simply talking with a friend who used to work for the NYC DOC. Things might have changed since he worked for them. From what he is saying you need to be approved by the warden to carry off duty, and that only applies to NYC DOC.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and call a NYC attorney or NYC police station and ask them before you enter that city out of uniform with a concealed handgun.

thanks for the heads up. I'm just telling you it's not the case. As far as asking permission from "The Warden" if he actually used Warden, its been a LONG Time. NYS hasn't had Wardens in quite a while. The last one in the state was actually at my old prison, Sullivan. Many years ago I might add.

As far as permission goes, that's also a false. I can walk into Gander Mountain tomorrow and walk out with a hand gun by simply flashing my badge. At that point, I have 10 days to notify and fill out the proper documentation and have my Superintendant sign it. At that point, the paperwork is placed into my file at work with the weapon that is registered on my badge.

I'm not arguing to argue here. Just explaining it to you. Not sure how we got so off topic or if this has anything to do with Bowers.

<snip>

I'm not arguing to argue here. Just explaining it to you. Not sure how we got so off topic or if this has anything to do with Bowers.

FWIW - At this point I find this much more interesting than reading, or trying to to articulate, just how stupid DaQuan Bowers was....

thanks for the heads up. I'm just telling you it's not the case. As far as asking permission from "The Warden" if he actually used Warden, its been a LONG Time. NYS hasn't had Wardens in quite a while. The last one in the state was actually at my old prison, Sullivan. Many years ago I might add.

As far as permission goes, that's also a false. I can walk into Gander Mountain tomorrow and walk out with a hand gun by simply flashing my badge. At that point, I have 10 days to notify and fill out the proper documentation and have my Superintendent sign it. At that point, the paperwork is placed into my file at work with the weapon that is registered on my badge.

Thanks for the updated info, I'll pass it on.

Too bad. In reality, he really didnt do anything that terrible. Such a shame

NYS and expecially the NY metro area has gone off the deep end on disarming and prosecuting citizens. The irony is that some of the people who are pushing it the hardest ie: Bloomberg and Silver are people whose ancestors suffered the most when the Nazi's disarmed them prior to the most horrific act of genocide in human history. The British did the same thing in India after the American Revolution, they learned from history. If you are going to oppress people you had best disarm them.

• 1 month later...

Damn!!!! Who called this S%#T!!!

All may now bow to the master!!!

i was going to give you credit... but after that.... i dont know if i can bring myself to do it. The city is still notoriously unforgiving in these circumstances. he got very lucky based on several stories i had read.