Pats not going to use tag on welker

mead107

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to have him on this team but he wouldn't even think of coming to us. I can't believe anyone would even say no to having him on the team.

it would just feel wrong. it would be like bizarro world and i'd want to boo him every time he made a play, and then i'd have to slap myself and say "oh, wait...crap!"

People say no to a guy that has destroyed defenses for years despite them knowing exactly whats coming

That's because the guy wants huge money and is not going to be worth it when a) he inevitably start declining -- he's 32 next season, and b) he has a backup throwing him the ball instead of a HOFer.

To let Levitre walk away and give huge money to Welker would be insane.

I'd love to have him on this team but he wouldn't even think of coming to us. I can't believe anyone would even say no to having him on the team.

That's because some people here answer these questions without ignoring the economic realities involved. :rolleyes:

This screams classic Belichick, smartly getting rid of a high-priced player just as he hits the downside of his career, and I've seen Welker drop some pretty crucial passes the last couple of years.

True, except no draft pick this time (maybe a comp pick, but I'm sure they'll be signing some UFA's that will negate it).

Brady has been "declining" for 6 years on this board. With how hard he works, I wont consider him a non factor until he's in a broadcast booth

I don't see that in his future. Maybe a pre-game show, but even then it's iffy. And his decline happens in the later stages of the playoffs. Eventually it will be sooner. There was an analysis of his YPA's on what looks to be an inexorable path downwards, like what happens to all QB's eventually.

Why isn't anyone questioning if Brady might start to decline? He will be 36 when the season starts. He didn't look great against Baltimore either.

Because pocket passers with excellent protection have a much longer shelf life than WRs and RBs. In case you haven't noticed, the significant majority of WRs tend to hit the wall pretty hard in their mid-30s.

After signing Byrd, Levitre and our draft picks - not sure there is sufficient cap space to spend $9-10 million on Welker. The article I read (refer to the Stadium Wall) said we might have some room left on cap money but why blow your wad on one guy when you could conceivably get 2 or 3 at a position of greater need (LB or safety)

I wasn't saying Bills should sign Welker just disagreeing with the statement that they didn't have the cash to do it

I put 65% of his success on his QB.

I put 100% of his success on him being good and not just Tom Brady. In 2006 he started just 2 games and still managed to catch 67 balls for almost 700 yds with Joey Harrington and Daunte Culpepper throwing him the ball. Belichick saw something no one else did and forked over a 2nd rounder for him. Welker is just THAT good.

If he came for a decent price, I'd say sign him. Welker is freaking amazing and still serviceable.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

I still don't think we need him. If they do what they say they want to do and move Stebie to the slot we have a player who could be better than Welker. ( assuming our QB can make the throws) Now if welker was say.......6 3 and physical I would say what are you waiting for! I am also going to guess he will want a crazy contract that would bite us later.

Actually I think we do.........he is a slot receiver I think putting stevie in the slot he could be better than welker..............if we get a great consistant QB......we need a big physical outside receiver and welker is not that

We do need a big Receiver and I hope we get Cord Patterson or/and Chris Harper but Stevie is not better than Welker even in the Slot. It's good to have all kinds of receivers and I hope we get big and shifty WRs along with a pass catching TE.

I'd do it just to take a weapon away from Brady

Yep

We do need a big Receiver and I hope we get Cord Patterson or/and Chris Harper but Stevie is not better than Welker even in the Slot. It's good to have all kinds of receivers and I hope we get big and shifty WRs along with a pass catching TE.

I still think he could be better than welker...........of course we could win the superbowl next year too :) Just saying it is possible

Honestly, this roster does not need a small WR that catches 100 balls a year with regularity. It is all about priorities with the Bills. If I am Nix this offseason I go balls in to make sure we resign Ruevel Martin to solidify the WR position. Guy is a flat out baller.

Honestly, this roster does not need a small WR that catches 100 balls a year with regularity. It is all about priorities with the Bills. If I am Nix this offseason I go balls in to make sure we resign Ruevel Martin to solidify the WR position. Guy is a flat out baller.

He has a much bigger catch radius than Welker too.