What are you "reading" into the current changes?

Virgil

I feel that it's become very clear over the past month that the Bills is going through a large change in both identity and roster. Yes, we still have Nix, but I feel like Marrone and Pettine are very much in control and Brandon is looking to separate himself from his predecessor.

With that, I'm curious to know what others think is the thought process right now with the changes you've seen made.

Here's mine:

1 - Pettine has a very specific idea of the defense he wants to run and knows exactly the people he wants for it. I feel like he is watching tape right now and evaluating these guys one at a time. We will still see cuts and I expect to see him be active in FA, which goes against traditional Buddy ways. I think Kelsay has a chance to stay just for his ability to play the run.

2 - Marrone doesn't have a qb plan yet. I don't think he's sold on anyone, even in the draft. Tjax intrigues him the most, hence the one year deal, but doesn't know if he can handle it. Money isn't a huge issue, or Fitz would have been shown the door. Remember with Fitz that we don't save any cap money really to cut him. Some, but not drastic. It's only real money that is saved. Marrone is just going to take his time, draft someone, and see who handles the offense the best.

3 - We are cutting money for someone. I don't know if it's to re-sign Levitre or Byrd, but I hope so. Maybe Pettine wants to make a run at more defensive guys than I realize. I know it's not for the draft. It just seems like we are preparing for something.

Overall, win or lose, this team will have a personality to it. If anything, the changes being made are to send that message. We will not be the same push around team we were. Now, will we end up like the Jets, who were all talk (even though I would take an AFC Championship game), I don't know.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously they're the pros and I'm not but my faith in the new regime will be very shaken if they retain Kelsay.

I'm becoming very concerned because he's still on the roster.

And it's possible that I've mis-evaluated Kelsay over these many years but I really don't think so.

Let me put it this way, no other team in this universe would have paid Kelsay over $50 million for the "performances" he's turned in.

No one that has been released came as a surprise.

The Tarvaris Jackson signing was a surprise but I guess it makes sense. I believe the Bills will go to camp with four QBs, Fitz being one of them. I'm not going to discuss the pros and cons of keeping Fitz, it has been beaten to death. One of the four will be a rookie, none of the four will be named Smith.

Who exactly was Brandon's predecessor that he is trying to separate himself from?

I'm reading nothing into it. I don't think anything major has happened yet. You get rid of Fitz or trade Kyle Williams, that's a major move. You sign Colin Brown and release a coupla guys on the wrong side of 30, no news.

The more I look at the draft, the harder it is to think of going any other direction than defense in the first few rounds. There is just SOOOO much talent in the front seven, particularly, in the first 2-3 rounds this year. Guys like Brandon Jenkins, who missed most of the senior season with a foot injury, would have surely been a 1st rounder any other year, but looks to be a mid second rounder or even closer to the third round this year!

If Buffalo were to go Alec Ogletree in the first, Brandon Jenkins in the second, - OR - something like trade back into bottom of first for a QB, and then trade up for a guy like Jenkins in the second... either way, FA has a handful of good CB's this year. If we could get, lets say, Alec Ogletree and Brandon Jenkins we'd have an ILB and an OLB/DE to match with I'm guessing another ILB FA - and a CB FA - we'd have a young, solid Defense that could go from 3-4 to 4-3 with ease... I don't know, I know we need a QB, but there are only a couple that really get me excited, and I just don't know if it'd be worth it to pass on sure-fire talent.

I'll be fine with whatever they choose to do - but I know there is enough talent in the draft and FA to make this defense very good. Can we say the same about the offense? I think, when you look at both sides, the Bills could easily stock up everywhere - load up on defense, get a WR or two in the draft and FA who match our ideal in size, and just leave solving the QB problem till next year. It'd be hard to sit through another year of bad QB play - but, if they could fix everything else and just go into next offseason needing a QB, basically, then that would be okay by me.

That's how I think, though - I look at NFL teams as two sided, and I'm always trying to fix one side - make it dominant - at a time, while the Bills seem to take a little here, add a little there, and are always falling short of making a dominant unit out of either side. If they go that route again this year - you could argue for a QB, WR, TE in the first three rounds, as we've invested so much these past few years, draft-wise, on defense - and we'd be short defensively. Or, a QB, LB, TE - leaving us needing both sides a little.

I don't know - there's merit to every angle. If I were doing it, though, and I couldn't solve all the issues, I'd least try to create an Identity with giving us one great side - make it a powerhouse offensive or defensive team, and then fix the other side the following year.

As for QB - there are guys out there (granted only a few) who could be had in the mid to late rounds who would be interesting for just one year, just to get away from having to sit through Fitz - like Marqueis Gray, a guy who is a physical freak, runs like a 4.5 forty, is like 6-4 250 lbs, looks like a TE, and can throw a deep, fast ball. He'd need a lot of QB, throwing, mechanic training, but for a 5-6 round pick, why not give yourself a project QB with a ceiling as high as can be imagined? They've got to come out of this draft with players to be excited about, and if they cannot get their top QB, why not settle later for one with some interesting POTENTIAL.

My read is that the new regime feels the defense was the major problem with this team, not QB. I completely agree with them. Is Fitz a lower tier QB? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, the O was putting up points. But because the D was allowing so many points, Fitz had to attempt game winning drives, and we all know how that turned out.

Do I love Fitz as or starter? Hell no. But our biggest problem was our D, so the regime is addressing that first. They will have to be active in FA, and draft well, but so far I like the (apparent) plan.

I know that Fitz money cutting him is only real money not cap savings but still to pay a guy that kind of money real or cap for the kind of out put he has given ahh i think i would try to restructure cause it's still money that could be used better ..

The Kelsay thing , he is another that i would restructure . He is a great locker room guy & plays his guts out, but doesn't get the results to justify the money !

So let him stay as a depth player but pay him as one too & use the money for the future of the team b/c he only has maybe 1 more year here if he's lucky !!

If it were up to the fans he would have been gone a while ago, but i can say i really love seeing him hold up the safety sign when he sacks some one in the end zone !!

My read is that defensively we are going to steal a couple of Jets. Probably someone like Mike DeVito and maybe an aging vet like Bart Scott, whose biggest asset would be to help install Pettine's D.

Signing TJ is a good move since he's played in a West Coast offense for 6 years, but if that $4.5M price is correct, that's kind of surprising. I still don't know if it's leverage to get Fitz to take a pay cut, or maybe the front office is crazy enough to keep both at a $15M price tag? That would be insane, right?

Signing TJ is a good move since he's played in a West Coast offense for 6 years, but if that $4.5M price is correct, that's kind of surprising. I still don't know if it's leverage to get Fitz to take a pay cut, or maybe the front office is crazy enough to keep both at a $15M price tag? That would be insane, right?

The reports on the TJ contract stated he could earn up to $4.5M......that obviously implies that there are incentives in the contract.

I would think the potential to be simply cut might be enough incentive for Fitz to restructure. He is due $7.45M in cash.....but nothing if he is cut.

Obviously they're the pros and I'm not but my faith in the new regime will be very shaken if they retain Kelsay.

And it's possible that I've mis-evaluated Kelsay over these many years but I really don't think so.

Let me put it this way, no other team in this universe would have paid Kelsay over $50 million for the "performances" he's turned in.

Its the ineptitude in the GM / scouting dept that made them pay 100 million to Mario Williams when they could have easily drafted JJ Watt / JPP or others. They allowed Jauron to choose Mayin over Arakpo.

They currently have some semblance of a pass rusher in Kelsay, didn't have the acumen or intelligence to find a replacement. Lets hope Pettine changes this.

Lets hope Doug Marrone, and his new coaching staff can change many things wrong with this team.

Kelsay play good until he got hurt again. Especially the run. Fitz played ok until he had to play catch up and than was killed by the blitz. It's all about having the three units contributing. If we shore up the "D" we can be sucessful. Need CB and LB help big time.

Why? I don't get the vile (not pointing you out) towards the guy. He is a good depth player and situational pass rusher. He is a team player as evidenced by swithing to LB when asked which was not his natural position and probably the reason so many want him gone. But at the end of the day he is one player and his contract now is not breaking the bank. If they cut him fine, if not that is fine too but it's hardly a signature stamp on the new regime.

My read is that the new regime feels the defense was the major problem with this team, not QB. I completely agree with them. Is Fitz a lower tier QB? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, the O was putting up points. But because the D was allowing so many points, Fitz had to attempt game winning drives, and we all know how that turned out.

Do I love Fitz as or starter? Hell no. But our biggest problem was our D, so the regime is addressing that first. They will have to be active in FA, and draft well, but so far I like the (apparent) plan.

uHHH- Yawn-Uggh.....C'mon Fitz was having a difficult time throwing to receivers wearing his teams colors in the second half of the season. Often when he threw a 10 yard toss it would hit the ground or be above the receivers head on a given play. Almost everytime he went deep he would overthrow his receiver by about 5 yards. Have you been watching the same QB the past couple of years??

Of course he always has a nice training camp and even the preseason was pitiful. Everyone said the Bills were holding back and keeping the playbook scaled down until the opening game! C'mon you watched the same games, and when it's getting late in the game Ryan Fitzpatrick can get you close, but cannot close out a game with a WIN period! He is nothing but a quality backup for most teams that can win a game or two a season if the weather is good, he isn't hanging his head, and making some dumb throws. That is why he is willing to restructure his contract and wants to stay in Buffalo at all costs, because he knows their is no market for his services.

Could you envision New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, New Orleans, Seattle, Cincinatti, Detroit, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Washington, Minnesota, and several other teams having a QB Competition in training camp???? The answer is NO!!! The reason is they have legitimate starters and we don't! If Ryan Fitzpatrick was a legitimate starter he would not settle on negotiating to stay here to be in a competition to decide if he should hold a clipboard or not! If he had the cahoonas and confidence of a Jim Kelly he would threaten to take his services somewhere else and actually do it!!! Could you see Jim Kelly or Elway, or Marino, or Steve Young, or Rothlisberg sticking around for a QB competition? You know the answer to that..and I think it is ridiculous after having plenty of time watching Fitz to want to subject yourself to anymore of this silliness! C'mon Man!!!

My read is that defensively we are going to steal a couple of Jets. Probably someone like Mike DeVito and maybe an aging vet like Bart Scott, whose biggest asset would be to help install Pettine's D.

I had read an article (that I can't find now) that said that's exactly what Rex and Pettine did in NY - bring in a couple guys that know the system and let them help teach the new team...

Kinda thought this one was interesting too: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/05/new_york_jets_no_longer_relyin_1.html

I'm excited for FA, the Draft and then to see what these guys put in place...

id agree with this. Always have. If like to add in that the defense isn't the only reason why Fitz sucked. He also had to deal with Chan and his pass happy offense that consistently put Fitz in bad situations.

On another note, I hope Fitz is off this team or at least a backup to TJax or some rookie this year.

As for the OP. I feel something is definitely going down to save money as well. And we do need another DB.

Maybe Revis? He is familiar with Pettine. He is looking for a new contract. He is a huge cap hit to the Jets. Just a thought. Maybe the Jets need as much money as possible and have not other option but to let Revis go for a 2nd rounder with some additional compensation.

Why? I don't get the vile (not pointing you out) towards the guy. He is a good depth player and situational pass rusher. He is a team player as evidenced by swithing to LB when asked which was not his natural position and probably the reason so many want him gone. But at the end of the day he is one player and his contract now is not breaking the bank. If they cut him fine, if not that is fine too but it's hardly a signature stamp on the new regime.

Reasons:

1. 34 years old

2. Missed significant time with injuries the past 2 years, including 7 full games last year.

3. Very poor run defender

4. Third highest cap figure on the team

5.Part time player even when healthy

Whenever I see anyone say Kelsay is good against the run I know they aren't watching him play. He's been on some brutal run defenses, and one of the reasons has been his inability to set the edge. LDE's are supposed to be able to set the edge, and he has never been able to. He was always a pass rush first guy, but not a finisher. He's not going to get any better, just older. There really isn't a good argument for him making it to camp.

Vile?