How's it gonna shake out? Byrd or Landry?

Dr. Trooth

You can make cases for both. Looks like both will command around $6m and Bills could Tag Byrd, then potentially sign Landry, then remove the tag from Byrd.

On one hand, Byrd is a known ballhawk, but not very physical playing down in the box as well as up top, a requirement in Pettine's scheme. Byrd hasn't missed a game in the past two seasons, although he's been dinged up a bit.

On the other hand, Landry is a known hammer and will go down in the box and jack people up. And, although not known as a balhawk, he does well in coverage and, obvioulsly fits Pettine's scheme. He's also regarded as a top 5 or 6 safety... a cross between Reed and Polomalu. He missed games due to injuries the past three seasons... half the season in 2010 and 2011 with the skins and one with the Jets last year. So, health has to be a consideration.

Landry is considerably bigger... by two inches and 20 lbs. and faster. He's also exactly 2 yrs. older.

Might be a tougher decision than we believe it to be. You have the rules changing about hitting defenseless players, as well as defending the read option. Also, Byrd has played in a read and react scheme for the past four years and may or may not be a good fit for what the Bills want to do going forward. However, he's not played in attack mode before, so there's no history to say that he can or cannot. But, I just get this sense that the Pettine scheme needs their safeties to be a cross between a lightweight 3-4 LB and a safety.... something that I might add may bode well for Bryan Scott.

It's gonna come down to best "fit" for the scheme. If you were to weigh five year deals, Landry will be 33 at the end and Byrd 31. Landry is in his prime, Byrd is just getting there.

So what's it gonna be?

Answer:...yes?

Granted, I hope there's some way that we could get both, but Seacry could probably do as good a job as Wilson but if we're going to have to pick between the two I think you have to go with the talent that you developed on your own. If it's an "either or" I stick with Byrd, but I'm hoping Pettine has some magic.

Williams moving to safety seems to be the best choice possible....I'd like to re-sign mckelvin and give another chance at starting....the man is always in position just lacks a little ball awareness....hopefully this can be coached up

OP brings up good points about Landry playing in the style D Pettine wants to run. Byrd has not yet and thus he may be great at it or may not. Byrd would probably do good at an attacking style D that forces QB's to make a forced decision. Ball Hawks flourish in systems like that.

The Williams to safety thing sounds good due to his size, however when you think about it can he really play safety?

He has shown little ball skills, and to me i do not see him as a fill the box run stuffer.

When you think about guys who moved to safety from CB most of the time it was because they where losing a step or because their skills could be maximized in that role. What about Williams' skill set has shown he can play safety.

There are plenty of 6'2 200+ lb guys on this board, none of us could play safety in the NFL, right?

Williams moving to safety seems to be the best choice possible....I'd like to re-sign mckelvin and give another chance at starting....the man is always in position just lacks a little ball awareness....hopefully this can be coached up

this is a good option :thumbsup:

OP brings up good points about Landry playing in the style D Pettine wants to run. Byrd has not yet and thus he may be great at it or may not. Byrd would probably do good at an attacking style D that forces QB's to make a forced decision. Ball Hawks flourish in systems like that.

The Williams to safety thing sounds good due to his size, however when you think about it can he really play safety?

He has shown little ball skills, and to me i do not see him as a fill the box run stuffer.

When you think about guys who moved to safety from CB most of the time it was because they where losing a step or because their skills could be maximized in that role. What about Williams' skill set has shown he can play safety.

There are plenty of 6'2 200+ lb guys on this board, none of us could play safety in the NFL, right?

He played safety at Texas

I say resign byrdman at 7m per definitely worth it....and with the money levitre is looking for (around 8-10 mill) sign landry around 5 or 6 mil per...to create one deadly duo at safety......and we can replace levitre easily I believe in the draft at #8 with chance warmack he has the ability to become twice the player levitre ever was or will be its not like levitre is a all pro og..

Edited by Hotpockets28

Byrd will get a much nicer deal. Better player, better person, younger, healthier and not going to breakdown from being too big for his frame like Landry has pushed himself to be.

Landry does have a bigger mouth and makes a lot more dirty hits though so.... There's that.

Cant it be both?

I doubt the team is willing to tie up that much money on their starting safeties.

As for the future, I love Byrd, would love to see him stay, and think highly of him as a player.

That said, because Landry would cost the same money or less and because Landry is familiar with Pettine's system and Byrd is not, I could see a scenario where the Bills let Byrd walk if they can sign Landry.

The counter argument to "not keeping your own" has always been "but if you can re-allocate that money to someone just as good or better then it's not creating a roster hole."

This is arguably one of those cases.