How's it gonna shake out? Byrd or Landry?

Dr. Trooth

You can make cases for both. Looks like both will command around $6m and Bills could Tag Byrd, then potentially sign Landry, then remove the tag from Byrd.

On one hand, Byrd is a known ballhawk, but not very physical playing down in the box as well as up top, a requirement in Pettine's scheme. Byrd hasn't missed a game in the past two seasons, although he's been dinged up a bit.

On the other hand, Landry is a known hammer and will go down in the box and jack people up. And, although not known as a balhawk, he does well in coverage and, obvioulsly fits Pettine's scheme. He's also regarded as a top 5 or 6 safety... a cross between Reed and Polomalu. He missed games due to injuries the past three seasons... half the season in 2010 and 2011 with the skins and one with the Jets last year. So, health has to be a consideration.

Landry is considerably bigger... by two inches and 20 lbs. and faster. He's also exactly 2 yrs. older.

Might be a tougher decision than we believe it to be. You have the rules changing about hitting defenseless players, as well as defending the read option. Also, Byrd has played in a read and react scheme for the past four years and may or may not be a good fit for what the Bills want to do going forward. However, he's not played in attack mode before, so there's no history to say that he can or cannot. But, I just get this sense that the Pettine scheme needs their safeties to be a cross between a lightweight 3-4 LB and a safety.... something that I might add may bode well for Bryan Scott.

It's gonna come down to best "fit" for the scheme. If you were to weigh five year deals, Landry will be 33 at the end and Byrd 31. Landry is in his prime, Byrd is just getting there.

So what's it gonna be?

both

Byrd is a BALLHAWK!!! Int's and forced fumbles. These guys are rare and you have to keep them when you find one, I mean that would be like finding that big time receiver and then letting him walk even though he is a game changer. Not smart business.

Keep Byrd, talk to Landry and see what type of deal could maybe be worked out on a more incentive based deal. If we can't get him, oh well put Searcy back there and convert A. Williams to Safety and we will be fine.

Use some of that money that we will have from not signing Landry, and Levitre walking away and pursue some of these WR's that are set be available soon.

I think its funny that people are citing Byrd's lack of experience in the new system. He has had a new DC 3 times in his career, if I remember right. Fewell, Edwards and Wannstedt. Byrd is a great safety, and clearly has no problem playing well regardless of the scheme. To cite lack of experience in the new system is ridiculous.

No he didn't, he was a cornerback. He was projected by draftniks to become a safety in the NFL.

Yep, this description was spot on (as well as suggesting he's been misused so far):

"He lacks the hip fluidity to play on an island at the next level, but he has experience lining up over the slot and maintains proper position to take away the easy crossing routes. When the ball is in the air, he has a great closing burst and the superb hands to make plays even on errant throws. He is aggressive in run support, but lacks the fundamentals to make tackles in the open field."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/aaron-williams?id=2495510#tab=0

Would you guys rather have byrd, landry, and a 2nd rd rookie at G or

Byrd, searcy, and levitre?

I may lean towards the landry option - the thought of byrd and landry in same backfield gives me serious wood

with the new cap space and that carried I think we pinch pennis and can get Landry. I do not know if I want him but I could see him taking a 3-4 year deal securing him long term and being cheap early.

I say resign byrdman at 7m per definitely worth it....and with the money levitre is looking for (around 8-10 mill) sign landry around 5 or 6 mil per...to create one deadly duo at safety......and we can replace levitre easily I believe in the draft at #8 with chance warmack he has the ability to become twice the player levitre ever was or will be its not like levitre is a all pro og..

According to at least one service, Levitre was the best guard in football last year at pass protection.

We're going to keep Byrd as it is the smart move. Why pay $5 mil per yr for an injury prone person who is two yrs older than Byrd. Also, Williams was not bad at safety at Texas and he is cheap. We need the money for other needs. I'm so upset in hindsight with Nix for not grabbing a QB in the last two years b/c now there is no other option than Fitz and TJ. I know Marrone is making the right move, but to think of suffering through another bad year as Fitz will give you what he has given you. Nothing but short passes and few wins.

Is there a question with Gilmore....I thought he was solid as a rook

He showed some promise and as you said, he was a rookie. But his season was far from stellar. He had 1 interception in 16 games, was often penalized, and gave up some big time passes.

Do I expect to see improvement? Yes. Was this a great season for a #10 selection? No, not imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I fail to see the reason why we would have to chose between a SS and a FS. Byrd will at least get tagged. If Levitre walks then getting Landry should be far less complicated. A number of 2nd tier tackles could step in and play LG for this team. Personally, I would prefer a larger, more physical type of Guard to play along side Glenn. Most Tackles in any draft have the feet and athleticism to pull as a Guard. Levitre is as good as he will ever be.