Richard Sherman: I'm proof the draft process is a sham

truth on hold

He's a blowhard whiner punk. The Seattle Times was filled with the stuff during the season. He even went as far as to say that he didn't get in the Pro Bowl because he was drafted in the 5th round. Hello, Brady was drafted in the 6th round and has made the Pro Bowl a bunch of times. Tony Romo has made it and he wasn't even drafted.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That's all it is, is a sham. The players that are going to be hyped, are going to be hyped," Sherman said on the "ATL Debate Club" podcast. "That's why you have half the first round as busts every year. You can go from now until the end of time. Guys have somehow maneuvered their way into the first round, maneuvered their way into the spotlight.

"As long as (draft analysts) talk about him all day all night, all day, all night, it's kind of like, 'Oh, that's why he went in the first round.' Then when they're doing nothing in the league nobody notices, they just don't say much about them. 'Oh, we didn't get that one wrong, he needs time to develop.' Then three years later, 'Still time to develop.'"

http://www.nfl.com/n...ocess-is-a-sham

there is some truth to that but no one knows the future so its just sower grapes on his part. He is in a system that requires big corners so until Carroll came around Sherman would have been a nobody.

There ARE players every year who are famous for being famous, hyped for being hyped. There are so many variables that determine the success of a player, but many more variables that determine the bust-ability of a player. I am in the process now of listening to player interviews in order to get a feel for them as possible Bills. But even this is an assumption; Marrone might value "tough" over educated.

Drafting, like hiring in general, is an art, not a science. Given that, a player (employee) only counts as a "mistake" if the team (employer) determines the player doesn't fit, then DOESN'T dismiss the player (employee). You really have to consider the first six months (season) as part of the interview process; if all goes as expected, great; if not, dismiss the player (employee) and search once more.

Point being the draft process isn't the problem, the team's selection/retention processes are the problem.

There ARE players every year who are famous for being famous, hyped for being hyped. There are so many variables that determine the success of a player, but many more variables that determine the bust-ability of a player. I am in the process now of listening to player interviews in order to get a feel for them as possible Bills. But even this is an assumption; Marrone might value "tough" over educated.

But rarely do those guys go first round unless they are also famous for being exceptionally athletic, or huge, or being a qb

+1

Teams get most their player analyses from their scouts. They don't care much who's getting hyped by Kiper on ESPN. If thought Kipe was a good talent evaluator, they would hire him. They trust their own scouts more.

Sherman is just bitter that he got drafted in the 5th round.

I think Kiper and the rest are probably very good at what they do. The are probably even qualified to get an NFL job. Without any information to back my claim, my bet is they are just as right and wrong as most NFL GM's. The question is why would they? In the real world you get fired for being wrong.

There's a lot to it -

1) scheme drafted into

2) talent around them

3) vet and coach leadership

4) health

5) reaction to the pay check

Even if everything lines up, there's still some dumb luck in a game of inches.

Absolutely correct....I have said stuff similar before. This isnt just with the draft but with all talent evaluation like with UFA siggnings.

Looks at Sabres Tyler Myers...this year he has $10M price tag on his head and its affected his play. Part of it is the pressure of expectations and part of it is thinking you earned the money so you can forget what got you there.

In NFL especially the system/talent around you/coaching does matter. There are too many examples of players who were great with one team suck with the next and people who were ok before become great with the new team.

An example with the Bills and the CB they drafted from LSU---Brooks--in college at LSU he was behind 2 top 10 CBs drafted. Thus being in such a system he was devalued because of his role. He could have opted to transfer to another school and be a #1 CB and his draft prospects likely put him much higher in the draft.

His argument fails because the the correlation between starts and draft position surely drops off from the first to the seventh round. So it's no that its a sham top to bottom, it's that some underwhelming college players are drafted late and exceed predations and vice versa for hyped players.

Frankly the guys a moron and shut up and play football and lay off the PEDs.

Yeah, the draft is imprecise for sure, but the stats do not support the idea that it is a sham or a "crapshoot" as so many ill-informed people here claim. As for Sherman, I am guessing he has ADHD because he is just all over the place when being interviewed and the substance he was busted for was aderall.

I like sherman, I like his game, find his trash talking entertaining (especially when directed at Brady :) ), like his candor off field. Of course in that interview setting his words will come out overstated sounding but IMO he's more right than wrong on this. There's too many first rounders that never go any where and leave people scratching their heads after the fact why they were drafted so high (bills examples mccargo, whitner, maybin, etc), and of course the tragic busts like mandarich, the boz, and leaf, etc etc.

Anyone whose played organized sports realizes there are players on their team who aren't what they're cracked up to be because their the "coaches pet" and suck up to them and play for the crowd. when you get to the national spot light level with all the money at stake you bring in a whole host of other powerful hype factors like the media and agents. Part of being a good GM is not just drafting the right guy, its knowing which guys to avoid too ... Like polian taking Manning over leaf.

And BTW those saying Sherman is a dumb guy shooting his mouth off with no substance, think again , he graduated from Stanford.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I like sherman, I like his game, find his trash talking entertaining (especially when directed at Brady :) ), like his candor off field. Of course in that interview setting his words will come out overstated sounding but IMO he's more right than wrong on this. There's too many first rounders that never go any where and leave people scratching their heads after the fact why they were drafted so high (bills examples mccargo, whitner, maybin, etc), and of course the tragic busts like mandarich, the boz, and leaf, etc etc.

Anyone whose played organized sports realizes there are players on their team who aren't what they're cracked up to be because their the "coaches pet" and suck up to them and play for the crowd. when you get to the national spot light level with all the money at stake you bring in a whole host of other powerful hype factors like the media and agents. Part of being a good GM is not just drafting the right guy, its knowing which guys to avoid too ... Like polian taking Manning over leaf.

And BTW those saying Sherman is a dumb guy shooting his mouth off with no substance, think again , he graduated from Stanford.

Players are usually picked where they are because of what they did in college and/or athleticism. As you progress through the rounds though, it becomes a matter of diminishing returns. For Sherman to say that the draft isn't an exact science is a "duh" of the highest order. As I said, if he's so good at identifying players, I'd like to see his draft board. And again, had he played CB from the start, he'd likely have been a 1st rounder. He was picked where he should have been considering his lack of experience at CB, 40-time, and that he didn't wow anyone his senior season. This was his write-up on NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/richard-sherman?id=2495507

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.

As for graduating from Stanford, come on.

As for graduating from Stanford, come on.

Sherman has a teammate - only got through three years at Berkeley but still went in the first round. Marshawn must be one of those special kind of kiss ups.

Frankly all joe outlined was that some teams go for bpa, while others draft for need, some value very different attributes, some are just not as good at their jobs as others. Everyone has a different risk/reward judgement as well. It's an art not a science. There are probably 20 teams Sherman would've failed miserably on. The stars aligned for a mid round pick - a guy with potential, reached it. Some guys that likely had more potential and were picked in the first that year didnt.

So, if the draft process is a sham, as Sherman alleges, there should be as many 6th and 7th rounders in the league as there are 1st and 2nd rounders.

With the way that money was tossed at 1st and 2nd rounders prior to the new rookie pay scale, I can understand why teams hung on to their top picks for "development" but I really do think that this will change now that the top pick isn't give a free ride and 40 mil guaranteed on top of it.

Sherman has a teammate - only got through three years at Berkeley but still went in the first round. Marshawn must be one of those special kind of kiss ups.

Frankly all joe outlined was that some teams go for bpa, while others draft for need, some value very different attributes, some are just not as good at their jobs as others. Everyone has a different risk/reward judgement as well. It's an art not a science. There are probably 20 teams Sherman would've failed miserably on. The stars aligned for a mid round pick - a guy with potential, reached it. Some guys that likely had more potential and were picked in the first that year didnt.

Very true and to the point, Pete Carroll gets a great deal out of the players that he puts on his rosters.

Sam Bradford: the Rams still drafting ahead if the Bills 3 years after he's drafted, with stats worse than Fitz. But the Rams did back into the playoffs once.

PTR

Bradford was likely going before Stafford, had he come out in 2009. His hype was the closest thing I can remember to Andrew Luck, before he got injured. A consensus nr. 1 pick, before the final season even began. He got injured, but teams where still willing to risk it. Especially considering how weak the 2010 QB draft was, only 4 QBs in the first 3 rounds, and one of them were Tebow.

Take a look at the top 15 picks in the draft Sherman was taken in. Seems like the scouts had a pretty good idea who the best players where.

1. Newton, 2. Von Miller, 3. Darreus, 4. Green, 5. Patrick Peterson

6. Julio Jones, 7. Aldon Smith, 8. Locker, 9 Tyron Smith, 10. Gabbert

11. Watt, 12 Ponder, 13. Fairley, 14 Robert Quinn, 15. Pouncey

Other then 3 QBs, ( IDK much about Tyron Smith), there`s not a miss amongst them. Quite a few pro bowlers, and maybe 5 looking like potential future HOFs, but It`s way too early. That`s pretty lucky for a complete crapshoot.

Good players would be found later in the draft, excact science or not. Simply because the players are not fully developed. You can`t predict the future, no matter how good your science formula is.

Sam Bradford: the Rams still drafting ahead if the Bills 3 years after he's drafted, with stats worse than Fitz. But the Rams did back into the playoffs once.

PTR

I don't think so PTR. In 2010, they were 7 - 9. They would have gotten in the playoffs if they could have beaten the Hawks in the last game of the season. But the Charlie Whitehurst Hawks beat Sam and the Lambs.. I was at that game.

Edited by reddogblitz

Studies on the NFL draft have proven that scouts and media experts actually do a pretty good job of identifying talent.

Of course, we always hear stories about guys like Tom Brady, Arian Foster and James Harrison (players who were bypassed and became big stars) - but those guys are very rare. Make a list of the all-stars and impact players of the league. The vast majority of them were taken in the top half of the first round.

I read that something like 75-80 percent of NFL starters are drafted before the 5th Round.

"That's all it is, is a sham. The players that are going to be hyped, are going to be hyped," Sherman said on the "ATL Debate Club" podcast. "That's why you have half the first round as busts every year. You can go from now until the end of time. Guys have somehow maneuvered their way into the first round, maneuvered their way into the spotlight.

"As long as (draft analysts) talk about him all day all night, all day, all night, it's kind of like, 'Oh, that's why he went in the first round.' Then when they're doing nothing in the league nobody notices, they just don't say much about them. 'Oh, we didn't get that one wrong, he needs time to develop.' Then three years later, 'Still time to develop.'"

http://www.nfl.com/n...ocess-is-a-sham

The man is spot on. Whatever they have used for the last 15+ years needs to go in the trash. Time to revamp the entire process