QBs are getting ready for the combine

Tipster19

The Bills have absolutely no say in who Nassib hires to help him prepare for the draft. I doubt that Paul Hackett asked his son for permission to be hired to help Nassib.

It is definitely NEVER in Nassib's (or anyone's) best interest to not put your best foot forward.

The pay difference between the 8th pick and the 10th pick in round 2 is many MILLIONS of dollars.

Nassib might think it'd be nice to play for Hackett/Marrone in Buffalo, but I am 100% certain that he would be thrilled to get an opportunity to play anywhere else in the NFL. His focus is on getting better and trying to be picked as high as possible in the draft.

Thank you very much, that was a very detailed and intelligent response. That was what I had figured but I just couldn't understand that with the thousands of other people he could have hired, he just happened to choose our OC's father. I realize he may know him or have worked with him before, and I know he was a great coach as well, it just still struck me as odd. Thanks again.

Edited by sirebors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this might actually be a good thing. we have a direct line, from a good football mind as to whether or not this kid has what it takes. the staff can get daily updates on the guy and close feedback. we will know whether or not he has it. also i doubt marrone is a large say in the draft. a first year hc in the nfl from the big east isn't going to be able to hand pick his teams first draft choice. i dont think this kid is a buddy type player.

for the record i am anti-nassib.

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. I am not saying Nassib will or won't be a good NFL QB, but what are you looking at when you say his "ceiling isn't that high"?

He has improved every year - he hasn't plateaued. There might or might not be continued improvement.

He has good size and strength.

His arm is plenty strong - certainly as strong or stronger than Tom Brady's and Drew Brees'. Arm strength is not the most important factor in NFL QB success - to be sure, you need "enough" arm to make the necessary throws and threaten the defense deep or you end up with lots of turnovers and a very limited offense. However, Brees, P. Manning and Brady are certainly 3 of the very top QBs in the NFL and none of them have cannons for an arm.

By accounts I've read (don't know for sure if they are accurate or not), he is supposedly a good leader and hard worker.

I'll agree that he isn't a tremendous running threat like RG III, Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick. But there are different formulas for success.

Again, I don't know if he will be good in the NFL or not, but I don't see any physical limitations that limit his "ceiling".

While I'm fairly certain that Ryan Nassib IS NOT the devil, I'm also reasonably sure that he is not an upgrade over Fitzpatrick OR Thigpen. It's also obvious that you have not watched this kid play in many games. If you had, you would never say something OUTRAGEOUS like his arm is "certainly as strong or stronger than Tom Brady's and Drew Brees". For those of us who have followed his career, that is just CRAZY TALK.

Saying that "he isn't a tremendous running threat like RG III, Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick", while true, is a horrible, horrible, understatement. -Nassib has more lead in his shoes, than Jimmy Hoffa has in his head. Nassib has ZERO escapability, and cannot consistently get rid of the ball in a quick or accurate manner from the pocket.

I cannot imagine what motivating factors (besides desperation) would cause folks to see this kid as anything but a 5th or 6th rounder.. -It's madness, any way you look at it.

Edited by #34fan

While I'm fairly certain that Ryan Nassib IS NOT the devil, I'm also reasonably sure that he is not an upgrade over Fitzpatrick OR Thigpen. It's also obvious that you have not watched this kid play in many games. If you had, you would never say something OUTRAGEOUS like his arm is "certainly as strong or stronger than Tom Brady's and Drew Brees". For those of us who have followed his career, that is just CRAZY TALK.

Saying that "he isn't a tremendous running threat like RG III, Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick", while true, is a horrible, horrible, understatement. -Nassib has more lead in his shoes, than Jimmy Hoffa has in his head. Nassib has ZERO escapability, and cannot consistently get rid of the ball in a quick or accurate manner from the pocket.

I cannot imagine what motivating factors (besides desperation) would cause folks to see this kid as anything but a 5th or 6th rounder.. -It's madness, any way you look at it.

agreed kids a bum...see brian brohm. will get picked in the 2nd because of his position, but will have the career of a 6th rounder

anyone who doesnt think Ryan Nassib has the tools to be the best QB in this draft and a very solid NFL QB in general, has no idea what they are looking at. Being a season ticket holder in Syracuse, I have seen every snap this kid has taken and he has improved every year. He has all the throws, the size the mobility...he needs to work on his touch passes, and its not like he doesnt have touch, I've seen him go bread basket from 50 yards multiple times, just has to work on it a bit.

There is no fix, there is no consperacy, Nassib is one of the top 3 QBs in this draft and will more than likley be the best coming out and be better than any QB the Bills have had since Kelly.

I know what your asking, how do I come up with this...simple. I've seen him play. The so called experts havent seen him play, they watch tape and anyone with half a brain cell knows that tape isnt game time. How many times do you you hear WOW, he didnt look like that on tape....all the time? yes! there is a reason.

If the Bills werent interested in Nassib and they didnt think he had the ability, why was Nix or another scout at every Syracuse game? Why were they at practices? Logic, at least to me says that if they didnt see things they liked they would have watched him once or twice but not every snap of the season.

Is Nassib the pick? who knows, but he is far better than some of you seem to think, more than likley your judging it from the senior bowl where you cant judge nothing.

Manzel wont be a good NFL QB, at least not as good as some people keep thinking

Yeah...you are probably right. What was I thinking?? He's too short and mobile QB's have no longevity in this league. Manziel and Russ Wilson both suck.

Nassib with a top 10 pick in the NFL. I would feel much more comfortable that the Bill's coaching staff is not THAT incompetent, but past history and the recent offensive caching staff picks tell me otherwise. Quadruple uggh! Triple upchuck! Please not 3 more years of wasted opportunities yet again!

anyone who doesnt think Ryan Nassib has the tools to be the best QB in this draft and a very solid NFL QB in general, has no idea what they are looking at. Being a season ticket holder in Syracuse,

That's where you lost me.

i too have watched Nassib.......8-5 dominating senior season? deer in headlights look at senior bowl?

lets get some of that.....just what we need Nassib = jake lockers body (just with no wheels at all) and gabberts head (deer in headlights)

no thanks. it's time for a cool cucumber in the pocket.

Theres real qb's in this draft to focus on Geno, Barkley, EJ, Wilson.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Thanks for the heads-up.

If he's our starter in '13, it's a MINIMUM three more years of suckdom before we blow another draft, and settle for a different bum in 2017. The abyss seems to widen for this franchise every ofseason.

As usual, the board has provided me with a good laugh. Love the perennial optimists on this forum.

SO everyone (alright most people) in this thread are convinced Nassib is going to be terrible? The Senior Bowl being the most oft repeated reason. I love the certainty in this thread.

Brian Brohm was used as an example - if any prospect gets compared it should be Tyler Wilson. He had the same coach and did terrible without him.

It's time for a cool cucumber in the pocket - just like Peyton Manning... oh wait.

I cannot imagine what motivating factors (besides desperation) would cause folks to see this kid as anything but a 5th or 6th rounder - Ryan Nassib is on the radar of the Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets. All three teams "think highly" of Nassib, (and that was just the first of many links when googling Nassib)

Is this similar to Whitner and Eric Flowers shooting up the draft board? -Or if you want to be optimistic it's like Stephon Gilmore last year or Patrick Peterson the year before.

I want no part of any "dalton type QB" - you know the guy who took a terrible franchise to the playoffs his first 2 years in the league... yeah me neither :doh:

If he's our starter in '13, it's a MINIMUM three more years of suckdom before we blow another draft, and settle for a different bum in 2017. - wow before he has even taken a snap he will be the SOLE reason for 3 more years of suckdom (which I would be willing to bet you think will happen no matter who is drafted)

I'm in the "I think Nassib will be a good pro" camp and think that the situation couldn't be any more perfect for him. A prospect that almost everyone is hyping as at least a late first round pick, whose head coach is now the Bills HC, same with OC, could be had by the Bills and everyone is mad at the idea? This gives him the biggest advantage by knowing the system and coached which lessens the learning curve, but this is a terrible thing?

I've watched him many many times and this year I thought to myself this is an NFL qb. Time will tell.

SO everyone (alright most people) in this thread are convinced Nassib is going to be terrible? The Senior Bowl being the most oft repeated reason. I love the certainty in this thread.

You're confusing "think Nassib's a terrible pick at #8" with "are convinced he is going to be terrible."

I think he raises too many question marks to be a legitimate pick in the top ten of the draft. That's all. The Senior Bowl is not the reason and I felt this way before. The Senior Bowl was also not going to raise his stock, to me, because what he can and can't do is pretty plain to see from the game film. Do I think he has potential? Yes. Would I be a #8 overall pick on that? No.

You're confusing "think Nassib's a terrible pick at #8" with "are convinced he is going to be terrible."

I think he raises too many question marks to be a legitimate pick in the top ten of the draft. That's all. The Senior Bowl is not the reason and I felt this way before. The Senior Bowl was also not going to raise his stock, to me, because what he can and can't do is pretty plain to see from the game film. Do I think he has potential? Yes. Would I be a #8 overall pick on that? No.

I will give that to you since you explained yourself better but when does he become a "good pick?" If he is meant to be the team's centerpiece 8 is not to early. If a trade down is an option (one which I too would fully support btw) how far down do you go? To me if there is no option to trade down 8 is fine bc I don't see any scenario where he is around at 40. (this is all IF he is even there guy - my pure speculation is it will be Barkley)

I don't understand the fixation with Nassib. This guy when put on the same stage as the other college quarterbacks in the senior bowl was clearly the worst. At best he has proven to be average. I would be shocked if he is picked before the 4th round. His mobility and decision making skills and accuracy are suspect. EJ is a better player at all aspects of the game than Nassib. Why not go EJ or Wilson early and Nassib late. He will be there. If Nassib is the guy we will easily go 15 years without a playoff run.

I don't understand the fixation with Nassib. This guy when put on the same stage as the other college quarterbacks in the senior bowl was clearly the worst. At best he has proven to be average. I would be shocked if he is picked before the 4th round. His mobility and decision making skills and accuracy are suspect. EJ is a better player at all aspects of the game than Nassib. Why not go EJ or Wilson early and Nassib late. He will be there. If Nassib is the guy we will easily go 15 years without a playoff run.

ah everything right here in one post! The Senior Bowl! what a great place to judge talent! The senior bowl is more about the practices than it is the game and even then it is a crap shoot. You know who improved their stock the most at the Senior Bowl? Geno Smith by not going. Shocked if he goes before the 4th round.... be ready bc as I've linked (and if you googled) it will happen. EJ is a better prospect at all aspects of the game (except for yard and tds) but those aren't important.

I'm not trying to pick on you but the certainty/negativity is mind boggling. I like a few qbs in this draft (Barkley, EJ, Nassib in that order) but could very well be wrong about Smith (demeanor/leadership), Wilson (system/hand size), Bray (so many concerns), etc.. All of these guys have something that is leading them to be discussed as future "franchise qbs."

I'll stop if we can all agree that Nassib will go in the second at the latest and just stop with the 4th, 5th, 6th round junk. If not put yer money where your mouth is... :devil:

This what I saw (granted it was his five games on youtube and his senior bowl play )- I got Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Glennon, Manuel all rated ahead of him then Nassib, Jones, Dysert, and I'm not real sure of the QB class as a whole, even the guy I have rated #1 I think of more as Tony Romo good not Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Manning good.

Idk, He can throw the motherf$%@k out of a football, has some touch, and is more of a tough leader type than a cocky Losman type. Theres always going to be an interest in that. He has to dial the arm down a notch, and settle down in the pocket. The issue is whether or not he just wants to make a play, or if he is skittish.