Kiper/McShay mock draft 2.0

Wayne Cubed

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%. This thought crossed my mind during the Super Bowl: imagine Kaepernick and Spiller in our backup. I will now light myself on fire. :wallbash:

You guys need to stop beating yourselves up about Kaepernick. It's ridiculous to assume he would have even remotely near the same success under our (former) coaching staff as he has under the best Head Coach in all of football (who is also an offensive minded guy).

Harbaugh adapted their offense to include parts of the same thing Kaep ran in college. He also worked that Pistol offense into his power running offense.

Kaep may have worked out to be better than Fitz, but I can't see Gailey getting the same productivity out of him.

Plus you have all the intangibles. I know it sounds stupid to bring up how big of a 49ers fan he was growing up, but all those things do play into how it has all worked out.

so if we draft the top qb in the draft........Marrone's gonna get canned? That doesn't connect with me.

if you replace Geno with Nassib or Glennon then yea I could see the 3 year thing. How you can knock Geno and his 96td-21int career is baffling IMO.

but at the end of the day, geno will be gone before we pick and will rule the NFL from another city.

those guys suck too so ...

Agreed. So stupid. Smith had amazing college career and "cooled" off at the end. He only led his team to 41.6 ponts per game!!! 6 other teams scored more than that in the country. Bum. If he was a better QB, he would have made sure his defense won't give up 38.1 points/ game. Clearly, Geno was holding that team back.

We finally did something different this year. We didn't hire a re-tread head coach. So instead of reaching for a QB who wasn't even dominant in Conference USA or a QB who barely played and won any games at Stanford, let's finally get a guy who was dominant at times in college. This is the time people overanalyze the crap out of players. Smith and Barkley were talked about being the #1 pick at various times in their career. now they're bums??? Get the hell out of here. For once, let's get a QB with a real resume.

not really, I never liked Geno or Barkley.

I thought it was a complete joke that Geno wasn't even considered a front runner this year when there no mention of him the previous years as a top QB. All Geno is, is that he would be RG3 and he is not. He had a few good games against some scrub teams this year then when the real competition started he choked end of story.

Barkley is just another guy who will be an average QB.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that we have, on more than one occasion, moved heaven and earth to get a quarterback as our second pick overall. Sometimes, this hasn't worked out (JP Losman) but there is one big exception: Jim Kelly.

What makes that even more scary is that the guy they prioritized over Jim Kelly was TE Tony Hunter out of Notre Dame. Bust.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. I know that the pass rushers and LB's look enticing in this upcoming draft but they come and they go. Gotta' infuse talent into that position until you find the right one and rely on your personnel department to do a good job in the rest of the draft.

Chris Brown stated on the radio yesterday that he spoke with Nix during the season and Nix stated Smith only was told to read half the field and make a decision. Brown intimated basically that Nix may think he's limited mentally because he said the Wonderlic and other team test will impact opinions on QBs like Smith. ...

This isn't directed at you at all but Nix is absolutely full of crap on this assessment and it sounds like one of his classic misinformation campaigns. Geno Smith is a confirmed film room junkie and no QB is ever asked to only read half the field. Anyone who watched him play since last year knows he likes to stay in the pocket precisely SO he can use the entire field. Besides, his reads depend on how the safeties are lining up and that first read dictates the rest of his reads and to do that you HAVE to make use of the entire field.

The kid is an English major who enjoys reading Shakespeare. That doesn't make him Stephen Hawking but it does suggest a certain intellect. That combined with his dedication to film study indicates he has the mental capacity for the game.

All that aside, it was apparent in most of his games that he knew how to read defenses and get his offense into the best play more often than not. That was obvious to see against LSU last year especially. He made one of the best defenses in the country with arguably the best secondary in the country look silly.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow. I cannot even fathom a scenario where no QB is taken in the top 15.

Even so, Kaepernick, Wilson, Marino, Brady, Montana, Young, and Warner have all shown you don't need to be a top 15 pick to lead your team to the playoffs.

The Bills have used first round picks on QB's and they have traded them for other teams backups. But since 1960, never drafted one with their actual first pick.

Their is a distinction because when it is more important for you to draft Tony Hunter than Jim Kelly, well, you were certainly luckier than you were good that day.

Weren't Jim Kelly and JP Losman 1st picks?

PTR