Kiper/McShay mock draft 2.0

Wayne Cubed

With the combine just 2 weeks away and so much unsettled, this is just bad timing for these mocks. I know ESPN and others have a need to pump content out there, but its not even entertaining now.

These are just time wasters while we all wait for the combine. Once that happens we will know more about each player.

Although the combine is just a bunch of guys working out in shorts and the players film will still be the real deal. I just can't wait to hear what Mike Mayock has to say about this years draft prospects. Forget McShay and Kiper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiper/McShay's mock draft 2.0 is out and here is the top 15(yes it's still too early):

McShay

1. Chiefs - Star Lotulelei

2. Jaguars - Bjoern Werner

3. Raiders - Dee Milliner

4. Eagles - Luke Joeckel

5. Lions - Dion Jordan

6. Cardinals - Eric Fisher

7. Browns - Barkevious Mingo

8. Bills - Geno Smith

9. Jets - Jarvis Jones

10. Titans - Chance Warmack

11. Chargers - Lane Johnson

12. Dolphins - Kenny Vaccaro

13. Bucs - Damontre Moore

14. Panthers - Sharrif Floyd

15. Saints - Ezekiel Ansah

Kiper

1. Chiefs -Luke Joeckel

2. Jaguars - Damontre Moore

3. Raiders - Star Lotulelei

4. Eagles - Dee Milliner

5. Lions - Jarvis Jones

6. Cardinals - Bjoern Werner

7. Browns - Eric Fisher

8. Bills - Alec Ogletree

9. Jets - Dion Jordan

10. Titans - Barkevious Mingo

11. Chargers - Jonathan Cooper

12. Dolphins - Cordarrelle Patterson

13. Bucs - Manti Te'o

14. Panthers - Sheldon Richardson

15. Saints - Sharrif Floyd

Discuss.

Kiper :thumbsup:

all i can say is I hope Mcshay is right..............Geno at 8 and our draft is a win!

:death: ... and Marrone is fired in three years.

No way Smith falls to 8. I think Alec would be a solid add. Oh yeah and theres this:

In September 2010, Ogletree was arrested and charged with misdemeanor theft stemming from a June incident of a stolen scooter helmet. Ogletree was suspended by Georgia for the first game of the season

oooh a stolen scooter helmet, that's it ban him for life.

Chris Brown stated on the radio yesterday that he spoke with Nix during the season and Nix stated Smith only was told to read half the field and make a decision. Brown intimated basically that Nix may think he's limited mentally because he said the Wonderlic and other team test will impact opinions on QBs like Smith.

I've stated it endless times, give me a QB with a Wonderlic above 22. No QB has ever won a Super Bowl with a score less than that (based on scores I have found). In any case, you can win regular season games and even the occassional playoff game but if you think you can win a Super Bowl with one of these low teens athletic freaks, you're wrong. And sure a high scores are no guarantee (see: Fitzpatrick, Ryan) but if you're going to pick a QB to win with and build around, skip the Losmans (11 or so his first time)!!!

Just to show you:

Flacco - 27

Brady - 33

Rodgers - 35

E Manning - 39

P Manning - 28

Brees - 28

Roethlisberger - 25

I won't waste time collecting the scores of all the first round busts and some decent playoff game winners.

But the bottomline appears to be that Super Bowl wins are positively correlated to higher wonderlics. If I were a GM, I wouldn't waste a pick on a guy below about 22.

I like your post.

now ill be looking at the Wonderlics scores on these QB's coming out.

Very interesting indeed.

Fitz had the 3rd highest wonderlic score in history, 48. He just dosen't have the arm to get it there.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1130834-nfl-draft-2012-the-5-best-and-the-5-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-history

another good list of QB scores http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/03/24/wonderlic-test/index.html

Edited by independent

I can guarantee at least 3-4 QBs are taken in the top 15. These guys are just ranking prospects and assigning teams to them based on draft order, not trying to predict who will actually be taken by which team in the real draft. They do not account for reaches and they assign each position an equal importance, basically best player available.

Chris Brown stated on the radio yesterday that he spoke with Nix during the season and Nix stated Smith only was told to read half the field and make a decision. Brown intimated basically that Nix may think he's limited mentally because he said the Wonderlic and other team test will impact opinions on QBs like Smith.

I've stated it endless times, give me a QB with a Wonderlic above 22. No QB has ever won a Super Bowl with a score less than that (based on scores I have found). In any case, you can win regular season games and even the occassional playoff game but if you think you can win a Super Bowl with one of these low teens athletic freaks, you're wrong. And sure a high scores are no guarantee (see: Fitzpatrick, Ryan) but if you're going to pick a QB to win with and build around, skip the Losmans (11 or so his first time)!!!

Just to show you:

Flacco - 27

Brady - 33

Rodgers - 35

E Manning - 39

P Manning - 28

Brees - 28

Roethlisberger - 25

I won't waste time collecting the scores of all the first round busts and some decent playoff game winners.

But the bottomline appears to be that Super Bowl wins are positively correlated to higher wonderlics. If I were a GM, I wouldn't waste a pick on a guy below about 22.

I agree with Nix's self assessment...

Anyway, the guys Buddy brought in as QBs (Young 15, Thigpen 21, Jackson 19) tell me that Nix is comfortable with gentlemen of modest intelligence.

By the way, Marino, Kelly and Bradshaw all 15....

According to SI:

Vince Young 16

Vick 20

Gabbert 42

Leaf 27

Favre 22

Peyton 28

Marino 15

Alex smith 40

McNabb 14

Greg McElroy 43

Brady 33

Rodgers 35

Tebow 22

Cunningham 14

Bradshaw 16

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1103/nfl-memorable-wonderlic-scores/content.1.html

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The single biggest reason this organization has had so many woeful seasons is that they haven't tried hard enough and smart enough to get good quarterbacks.

Said it so many times, the Bills could have drafted a QB with their first pick every year for the past 13 non-playoff seasons and they would be no worse off than they are today. In fact, they would be better because, as you mentioned, they would have their starting QB.

Also said it many, many times: the Bills have not drafted a QB with their first pick in any draft since Richie Lucas in 1960. Inexcusably short sighted.

And I don't even think they have actually traded for or signed another teams starting QB since the SB era began......unless Vince Ferragamo was still a starter in LA.

All this, while only having a franchise QB for 10 of those 53 seasons. Inexcusable.

I understand that they made some attempts, when you don't have one, you gotta go ALL IN sometimes. Not NEVER.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that we have, on more than one occasion, moved heaven and earth to get a quarterback as our second pick overall. Sometimes, this hasn't worked out (JP Losman) but there is one big exception: Jim Kelly.

Kiper :thumbsup:

:death: ... and Marrone is fired in three years.

so if we draft the top qb in the draft........Marrone's gonna get canned? That doesn't connect with me.

if you replace Geno with Nassib or Glennon then yea I could see the 3 year thing. How you can knock Geno and his 96td-21int career is baffling IMO.

but at the end of the day, geno will be gone before we pick and will rule the NFL from another city.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

so if we draft the top qb in the draft........Marrone's gonna get canned? That doesn't connect with me.

if you replace Geno with Nassib or Glennon then yea I could see the 3 year thing. How you can knock Geno and his 96td-21int career is baffling IMO.

but at the end of the day, geno will be gone before we pick and will rule the NFL from another city.

Agreed. So stupid. Smith had amazing college career and "cooled" off at the end. He only led his team to 41.6 ponts per game!!! 6 other teams scored more than that in the country. Bum. If he was a better QB, he would have made sure his defense won't give up 38.1 points/ game. Clearly, Geno was holding that team back.

We finally did something different this year. We didn't hire a re-tread head coach. So instead of reaching for a QB who wasn't even dominant in Conference USA or a QB who barely played and won any games at Stanford, let's finally get a guy who was dominant at times in college. This is the time people overanalyze the crap out of players. Smith and Barkley were talked about being the #1 pick at various times in their career. now they're bums??? Get the hell out of here. For once, let's get a QB with a real resume.

Agreed. So stupid. Smith had amazing college career and "cooled" off at the end. He only led his team to 41.6 ponts per game!!! 6 other teams scored more than that in the country. Bum. If he was a better QB, he would have made sure his defense won't give up 38.1 points/ game. Clearly, Geno was holding that team back.

We finally did something different this year. We didn't hire a re-tread head coach. So instead of reaching for a QB who wasn't even dominant in Conference USA or a QB who barely played and won any games at Stanford, let's finally get a guy who was dominant at times in college. This is the time people overanalyze the crap out of players. Smith and Barkley were talked about being the #1 pick at various times in their career. now they're bums??? Get the hell out of here. For once, let's get a QB with a real resume.

Barkley Geno at 8 or Manuel, Wilson in trade up to end of first is the play IMO.

With Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd being a first round pick, I would think that they will really push to get Alex Smith. How long is Fitzgerald supposed to wait for a real QB? Is he supposed to wait a few years for the rookie to be good enough?

I think the Bills and Cards will be the top teams trying to get Alex Smith. If the Bills get Smith then I could see them drafting Cordarrelle Patterson with the #8 pick. The lines have been bolstered the last couple of years and now is the time for the QB and WR situation to be solidified.

I would not object to this approach. At least it's aim is to get good at something.

I really want Geno Smith so I hope McShay is right. Him as QB and Spiller as our running back = extremely dynamic offense.

Then Pettine gets the defense in good shape.

We could have a good squad.

Of course, this is quite the optimistic viewpoint.

Agree 100%. This thought crossed my mind during the Super Bowl: imagine Kaepernick and Spiller in our backup. I will now light myself on fire. :wallbash: