Deadspin: Percentage of Loyal Fans Within 50 Miles of Hometeam

Dean Cain

Searched to see if this was already posted. Saw a similar post in mid-January.

Surprised to see the Bills #7 at 73%.

http://deadspin.com/5980852/who-is-americas-favorite-nfl-team-facebook-data-offer-a-clear-winner

actually makes total sense - small market, regional based fans, not a community that is going to get a lot of imports from other football cities.... same reasons you see a lot of those top few teams up there.

Partly because there is nobody sharing the market, or any significant overlap. Like Baltimore and Washington, SF and Oakland, the New Jersey teams... There is a real dense cluster of teams between Carolina and Boston, and that hurts their numbers, as a percentage.

What else do we have up here?

Searched to see if this was already posted. Saw a similar post in mid-January.

Surprised to see the Bills #7 at 73%.

http://deadspin.com/...-a-clear-winner

After we win ten superbowls we will be America's Team ... North America's team :D

Don't understand all the love for Dallas, why would so many people across the country like them? Pittsburgh won more SBs than them, then and now.

I always hated them from my earliest memories and really don't know why but never liked them or the fins but now I don't care as much but don't like Dallas now because Jerry is so annoying.

I am a little surprised only because I thought the Bills had more than their share of expatriot-Buffalonian fans in other cities for work opportunities - the late Tim Russert, Wolf Blitzer, Diane Macedo (Fox Business News Hottie), and myself for example!

... Oh never mind - read that backwards - I would be interested to see which teams had the highest/lowest percentage OF THEIR FANS that lived near the team.

The Lions are the THIRD most popular team in Detroit behind both the Tigers AND the Red Wings. Yuck.

Edited by BobChalmers

All 6 teams above them have been to the super bowl relatively recently...honestly its pretty freaking impressive when you consider how bad they have been for so long...

Edited by matter2003

All 6 teams above them have been to the super bowl relatively recently...honestly its pretty freaking impressive when you consider how bad they have been for so long...

i wouldnt say impressive - much like say green bay, and new orleans, minnesota at 8, or indianapolis - buffalo is a small market without an influx of outsiders that would be fans of other teams, or another competitive team REALLY close. it likely has very little to do with team success for these markets as much as a a cities lack of success importing people into their region from other areas if i had to guess. if you live in buffalo, odds are you are a born and raised bills fan that grew up there, much like those other markets.

cities like SF, NYC each have two teams, DC/Baltimore may as well be one market, and they also get transplants from all over that bring rooting interests from wherever they grew up - as do a lot of the other major markets.

honestly chicago is the one that surprised me most.

Edited by NoSaint

This same test 12-15 years ago in New England and you'd have a lot smaller of an area. I imagine a lot of Giants fans transitioned to the Pats, probably newcomers to the area, as well.

Yup. Popularity spreads with success. There were practically no New England fans before the silver helmets.

Yup. Popularity spreads with success. There were practically no New England fans before the silver helmets.

Now that you bring it up... it is amazing. How much do we still see of the original standing buffalo? The older jerseys still being worn from the 90's teams? I get that was our last successful era (only, some could say), but when do you ever see the old Pats jerseys or clothing? You don't. Fifteen years ago they would not sell, and now every chowder head is a "Pats fan." Just like they were "Sox fans" and Bruins fans not long ago.

what????

ask yourself, why are the cowboys so overwhelmingly popular

to answer that, consider what is the most common historical image of americans? obviously the cowboy

what is the icon of the cowboys? the star, the central image in virtually all iconic american history of substance

so just about the only way you could mesmerize the masses more effectively is to throw in the other automatic pavlovs dog bells of american psyche - jesus and kittens. i suppose i could have thrown in the disgusting kardashians but how the hell would you fit their big asses on a helmet logo

well derp i luv merika so i guess i should derp luv dem cowboys derp

come to think of it, im gonna start a foundation and call it the association for america jesus cowboy kitties. money will pour in