I talked to several NFL Scouts today about the QB's and who is #1?

I disagree. I think Tyler Bray has the highest upside. If not Geno Smith. But I think Barkley and Wilson are the most polished, pro-ready.

Tyler Bray is a problem child, I'd stay far away from him, Bray's attitude is poor & lacks leadership skills

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate them 1. Geno Smith 2. Matt Barkley 3. Tyler Wilson 4. Glennon 5. Manuel 6. Bray

1. Geno Smith - I think Smith and Barkley are similar in neither has glaring flaws but I think Geno Smith is a little taller, a little more athletic with better escape ability and a better runner, has a little stronger arm and is a little more accurate - I think he will be pretty good but think Tony Romo not Aaron Rodgers

2. Matt Barkley- I think could be a pretty good QB in the right system- If you're rating him better than Smith it has to be on things that don't show up on video (competitiveness, leadership, intelligence) or maybe for playing larger more pressurized venues

3. Tyler Wilson- talent wise I think he's very close to Barkley but small hands and two concussions make me downgrade him a little

4. Mike Glennon - will need a team with an excellent OL, strong running game and some good offensive weapons too have a chance-escape ability is pretty poor but is strong enough to throw with a hand grabbing him and is tall enough to throw with a DT in his face.

5. E.J. Manuel- most upside of this years QB but some serious questions too- Very good size and very athletic but more Ben Roethlisberger than Cam Newton- intelligent but like Fitz might not always translate to football intelligence - lacks the three quicks I look for ( quick decisions, quick feet, quick release) not terrible but not up their with Geno Smith or even Barkley

6. Tyler Bray- many of the best throws I've seen this year but maybe even more terrible throws - one game he threw two ints and could have easily had ten more- I think his arm strength is #1and at times he zips the ball 40-50 yards into small windows almost perfectly but so many god awful throws, skinny frame, and less than stellar athletic ability should make him a day three guy draft wise.

Good post :thumbsup:

I look at Barkley and see a newer version of Ryan Fitzpatrick, short for a prototypical NFL QB, and only average arm, only this new version has better accuracy and can win games, a lot of games. Huge difference!

I look at Mike Glennon and see a taller version of Trent Edwards, (who got beat up and didn't have a very good O line, likes to dump the ball off to RB's) and perhaps is another Joe Flacco clone. Like Flacco he will need to be drafted into a solid offense to be able to fully develop. While Glennon has footwork issues he has a picture perfect over the top ball delivery.

I watch Tyler Bray and see another Jay Cutler type (a gunslinger) with a rocket arm, but a guy with only a 3/4 delivery like Phillip Rivers. Bray has footwork and delivery issues that if corrected he could easily be the most outstanding QB in this years draft.

Considering 6 of the 7 teams drafting in front of the Bills all need a franchise QB, it might be difficult to draft anyone besides Bray. Just watch all this years QB's climb up into the first round, at least 5.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I wonder if his impression has changed. Likely.

I'd guess that it's far less likely than you're imagining.

Either way, I'd find it difficult to believe that it's changed to the extent that he now favors a QB that did notably less against notably softer competition.

Today I talked with four NFL Scouts and i thought I would share with you what they said about the current quarterback situation. I posted an article, I thought I would share it since the Bills are definitely looking for a quarterback. I thought it was very interesting that Matt Barkley's stock is still there. Not moving down.

http://nomorelinks....s-draft-boards/

I hope you enjoy it, God Bless and Go Bills

Good read, thanks for sharing!

From the OP's link (bolding mine):

I asked the one scout from the AFC what he thought separated Barkley from the other quarterbacks, he said consistency. He said Barkley has never thrown less that 15 touchdowns, has started all four years, and is a proven winner. He said if Barkley came out last year he would have been drafted before RG3 in his opinion.

PLEASE let that scout not be one of ours.

I personally think that you just had the "probably" and "by far" in the wrong places....

"Barkley is probably the most impressive quarterback in this draft by far. Highest upside."

The conclusion you reached from talking to a select number of scouts was that "Barkley is by far the most impressive QB...". It is probably correct.....but you can't be definitive as it is possible that the 4 scouts you interviewed all had abnormal views on Barkley compared to the other scouts not interviewed(not likely)......hence the word "probably" is added.

.....unless of course you are stating your own critical skills assessment of the QB talent and not basing it on the 4 scouts you interviewed.

Holy psychoanalysis, Batman!

Can we find other USC QB's that have also been in this position and succeeded? The answer is no.

Easy to look good at USC and get lots of props

This sounds a lot like superstition. You made up your mind based solely on your bias toward where he is from?

Today I talked with four NFL Scouts and i thought I would share with you what they said about the current quarterback situation. I posted an article, I thought I would share it since the Bills are definitely looking for a quarterback. I thought it was very interesting that Matt Barkley's stock is still there. Not moving down.

Thanks for the report. Very intriguing and informative.

What I got out of your report is that there is no excuse for not coming out of this draft with a legitimate franchise qb. Each qb has his own strengths and weaknesses, there is no perfect prospect. Some qbs are more ready to step into the pro ranks than others are but that doesn't mean that the more prepared prospect will in the end be the best prospect.

The qb ranking will be in a state of flux as the exhaustive evaluation process unfolds. From where the Bills sit in the draft they could be in position to take Geno Smith, Barkley or Wilson. Without a doubt the Bills have many needs. But this is the year that Nix has to make the right call and get this position addressed. I sense that he realizes that he blundered by not taking a risk on prospect who had some blemishes but he still liked.

Nix is a profile scout. He prefers his players to fit a particular mold for a particular position. As an example he prefers that his offensive linemen to be big and bulky rather than on the athletic and lean side. There is a similar profile that he prefers with qbs as far as height etc. That is why that although he was very impressed with Russell Wilson he stayed with his profile.

From what I understand about Barkley, Smith and Wilson they all are workers who are passsonate about the game and put the time in to prepare. They all seem to be leaders. Whoever Nix selects will hopefully help change the dynamic of the team and organization.

Again, DT, excellent post. :thumbsup:

When I listened to the Rob Johnson interview Rob was asked what kind of QB he thought Barkley would end up being in the NFL. You would think Rob would strongly endorse a fellow USC player. Rob hesitated and then said he wasn't sure and he noted that Barkley has always had an issue with throwing a lot of interceptions both in college and as far back as his high school days. I am no expert on QB's but that made me wonder if this is who I want as my QB with the Bills.

I hope someone in the Bills brain trust has the ability to evaluate QBs. None of these guys look good to me, but maybe there's a serviceable guy in there.

All I know is if you told me last year that Matt Barkley was going to be our draft pick in 2013, 95% of this board would have jumped on it and 75% of us would have thought we were drafting #1 overall.

When I listened to the Rob Johnson interview Rob was asked what kind of QB he thought Barkley would end up being in the NFL. You would think Rob would strongly endorse a fellow USC player. Rob hesitated and then said he wasn't sure and he noted that Barkley has always had an issue with throwing a lot of interceptions both in college and as far back as his high school days. I am no expert on QB's but that made me wonder if this is who I want as my QB with the Bills.

If he's agin em- I'm fer em.

If we draft Barkley, I'm gonna be LIVID.... bum.