Rob Johnson Interview With Rich Gaenzler

As the GR guys wasted airtime on some trivia game, I checked out a podcast on WHLD.

Interesting survey of topics, Johnson seems like a good dude and seems to have more than the 10 cent head he displayed on the Bills.

He talks about the new breed of read option Qbs and how he wasn't built to take the punishment that scamblers/options get (mentions how playing with Beuerlein and Flutie led him to leave the pocket more than his body could withstand).

I can only wonder what the Bills fortunes would have been if he wouldl have stayed healthy, and the cancer midget wasn't on the team.

http://www.swing1270.com/common/page.php?feed=22&pt=Rob+Johnson+Interview&id=582&is_corp=0

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the GR guys wasted airtime on some trivia game, I checked out a podcast on WHLD.

Interesting survey of topics, Johnson seems like a good dude and seems to have more than the 10 cent head he displayed on the Bills.

He talks about the new breed of read option Qbs and how he wasn't built to take the punishment that scamblers/options get (mentions how playing with Beuerlein and Flutie led him to leave the pocket more than his body could withstand).

I can only wonder what the Bills fortunes would have been if he wouldl have stayed healthy, and the cancer midget wasn't on the team.

http://www.swing1270.com/common/page.php?feed=22&pt=Rob+Johnson+Interview&id=582&is_corp=0

He always seemed nice enough, and he surely had flashes of talent. some people just arent cut out to be nfl qbs. cant fault him for trying though.

http://www.swing1270...d=582&is_corp=0

I always knew you were Rob's mom.

He always seemed nice enough, and he surely had flashes of talent. some people just arent cut out to be nfl qbs. cant fault him for trying though.

He couldn't have looked more like a prototypical stud qb when the trade went down. What a disappointment. I do remember him selling out against the Bucs one year, showing a complete disregard for his own well-being. First time he convinced me he had a pulse.

I always knew you were Rob's mom.

Like Todd Collins, he had a long career. Doesn't mean it was successful the way it matters.

He couldn't have looked more like a prototypical stud qb when the trade went down. What a disappointment. I do remember him selling out against the Bucs one year, showing a complete disregard for his own well-being. First time he convinced me he had a pulse.

Like Todd Collins, he had a long career. Doesn't mean it was successful the way it matters.

the only way it matters is winning

I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't been on our team and Flutie was allowed to start.

Pretty much what happened. Oh I'm sorry...unicorns would fart cotton candy.

Everyone thinks we would have won the Titans game but DF lost his playoff start in '99 against the Dolphins, not that anyone remembers.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Collins "played" 16 seasons Rob played 8 - I remember him going to tampa then i thought he was out of the league, Trent Edwards reminded me of Rob

He looked like a toothpick to me.

Looked leaner and more athletic than most qbs I'll give you that.

Collins "played" 16 seasons Rob played 8 - I remember him going to tampa then i thought he was out of the league, Trent Edwards reminded me of Rob

Believe you me I have no nostaglia for the Johnson years, but Trent Edwards he was not. Monster arm, plenty of nad, evidenced by the beating he took - just very little football sense.

What a wasteland of qbs over the past 15 years,

He looked like a toothpick to me.

Gotta remember, huge QB's were the exception, rather than the norm, even back then,

I know someone who knows someone who works for the Bills (fwiw), since the mid 80's. This person swears that Marv Levy, Mike Mularkey, Phil Hansen and Rob Johnson are some of the greatest guys the Bills employed during their time.

Thanks for the link Wayne Fontes! Probably the last guy I ever expected to hear on Buffalo sports radio...

Edited by Buftex

I've chatted with Rob a couple of times at the gym out here in SoCal (this was back in '09 I think) and he's a good dude (even if he is an SC guy). His performance at San Diego in 2001 still goes down as the biggest display of toughness I've ever seen from a QB in person. He was getting killed on pretty much every snap and he kept leading us back when it appeared SD had dealt us the death blow. We ended up losing that game to Flutie when Arians missed a 40 yarder as time expired. Overall though, he just didn't have the "it" factor that it takes to be a good NFL QB.

I think RJ was a better athlete than Trent Edwards...definitely had a much better arm.

In the interview, interesting, they are talking about the "scrambling QB's of today", and RJ implies, sort of, that he came up as a drop-back QB, but when he got to the NFL, playing with Brunell and Flutie, who were both runners, he had to add that to his game...and, as he says, he took a lot of hits he shouldn't have taken, and just couldn't stay healthy. "I just wasn't built for that". Funny, I remember him being a pretty decent scrambler.