New gun control thread!

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/how-americas-lax-gun-laws-help-mass-murderers-and-cripple-minority-communities-706

Good read, imo.

But these arguments also tend to ignore the devastating consequences that weak gun laws have had for minority communities. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control, black Americans are twice as likely as whites to be victims of gun homicide. According to a report from the Center for American Progress, in 2010, 65 percent of gun murder victims between the ages of 15 and 24 were black, despite making up just 13 percent of the population. Gun homicide is also the leading cause of death for black teens in the US, a group that also suffers gun injuries 10 times more frequently than their white counterparts .

The numbers may help explain why an overwhelming majority of black Americans—75 percent according to a 2013 Washington Post/ABC News poll—support stronger gun control laws. Yet even in areas where local governments have enacted gun control measures, lax regulations elsewhere have sustained a robust network of unregulated private transactions that allow gun dealers to look the other way while supplying gangs and other criminals with a vast assortment of weapons.

This network leaves a place like Chicago, which remains crippled by violence despite relatively strict gun laws, hard-pressed to keep weapons off the street—as this New York Times map illustrates, anybody in the city who wants a gun need only take a short drive outside Cook County to get to a jurisdiction with much weaker regulations.

A similar situation has arisen in Maryland, which despite having some of the country's most stringent gun laws, has been plagued by violent crime in urban areas. Amid finger-pointing over the rioting that ravaged Baltimore earlier this year, it's worth pointing out that the majority of crime guns are trafficked in from outside the state. So while the gun policies Maryland has implemented—including a policy requiring individuals to pass a background check and obtain a permit prior to buying a firearm—have been shown to reliably reduce gun violence, neighboring states like Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia have much looser requirements, making it easy for weapons to flow across the border.

This haphazard patchworks of state and local gun laws has enabled many private gun dealers to effectively exploit gang violence and crime to boost sales. Chuck's Gun Shop, for example, which operates just outside Chicago, is responsible for selling at least 1,300 crime guns since 2008, and one study found that 20 percent of all guns used in Chicago crimes recovered within a year of purchase came from the store, because existing gun laws allow the store to sell firearms to criminals who would undoubtedly fail a background check if it were required

Edited by Dorkington

How come Maryland's rates lowered, even with loose gun laws in the surrounding area, while Chicago's didn't?

Also, I find it curious that no demographics of the perpetrators of gun violence was written. Is that a coincidence?

What do we do about the influx of guns from outside our legal jurisdiction? Marijuana has been illegal in almost every state for years, but it seems to creep in all the same.

And lastly, do you believe that rehabilitated criminal offenders no longer have the right to protect themselves?

Edited by FireChan

How come Maryland's rates lowered, even with loose gun laws in the surrounding area, while Chicago's didn't?

Baltimore, on the other hand, has had a pretty bad year.

Like I've said before, gun violence isn't *just* a gun control issue, there are many other factors at play. But having super inconsistent gun control laws across the US makes local gun control laws kinda moot, imo.

Edited by Dorkington

Baltimore, on the other hand, has had a pretty bad year.

Like I've said before, gun violence isn't *just* a gun control issue, there are many other factors at play. But having super inconsistent gun control laws across the US makes local gun control laws kinda moot, imo.

Sorry, I edited with more points, if you don't mind addressing them.

Good read if you're a moron. To buy a gun from a federally licensed dealer in the state of Illinois, a person must possess a valid FOID card. In order to get a FOID card, which is issued by the state of Illinois, a person must pass a FBI NICS AND a state mental health check. Try and be smart enough to know when you're being lied to. Like one of the most liberal states in the Union that was also the last to pass a concealed carry law (and only after losing numerous court cases), would allow a gun shop to operate in an illegal manner that's so overt.

A "good" read is one that discusses opposition viewpoints in an intelligent, respectful manner.

Not the sophomoric, snarky, and dishonest manner that these two do.

Evan DeFilippis and Devin Hughes are the founders of ArmedWithReason.com and writers for the gun violence magazine The Trace.

My wise old golf instructor once told me, "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian". Is anyone really naive enough to think that stricter gun laws will restrict the outlaws rather than the responsible gun owners?

Edited by 3rdnlng

Also, I find it curious that no demographics of the perpetrators of gun violence was written. Is that a coincidence?

What do we do about the influx of guns from outside our legal jurisdiction? Marijuana has been illegal in almost every state for years, but it seems to creep in all the same.

And lastly, do you believe that rehabilitated criminal offenders no longer have the right to protect themselves?

Most crimes are same race... black on black, white on white, etc... generally because most crime is committed against someone familiar, and we are still in many ways, a socially segregated society.

I'm not sure if there is much to do about influx of guns into gun control areas, because of the availability. The ideal would be to lower demand, and to create conditions where people aren't so desperate to get involved with gangs, or other crimes related to general poverty.

Ideally rehabilitated criminals are rehabilitated, but our prison systems doesn't have a vested interest in rehabilitation, being that they're often for-profit businesses, and some even have minimum quotas, apparently. It's in their best interests for there to be repeat offenders. So.... ideally, people that finish their sentences should be allowed the same rights as anyone else, but realistically probably not :|

In the end, there's too much that has to be changed in the US, so I doubt much is going to change any time soon or ever.

Just one source of many, but you get the idea:

This is a case where a statistic is accurate and well-documented, but it doesn't address key elements in the bigger picture. According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, 93 percent of black homicides were indeed committed by other blacks between 1980 and 2008. In 2012, the most recent data posted on the Web, the figure was 91 percent.

It's important to note that whites were almost equally likely to be killed by other whites. According to government data, 84 percent of white homicides were committed by whites. This was true between 1980 and 2008 and in 2012.

Experts have stressed that this is not surprising because most homicides occur among people who know each other.

Edited by Dorkington

Experts have stressed that this is not surprising because most homicides occur among people who know each other.

So what happens when they remove that?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/07/la-woman-executed-by-shotgun-blast-to-back-of-the-head-by-black-man-on-hollywood-sidewalk/

In the end, there's too much that has to be changed in the US, so I doubt much is going to change any time soon or ever.

Agreed, what bothers me is the Trayvon Martin/Michael Browns that get all the publicity, because of the race aspect, that in truth had little or nothing to do with it. The media and Dems use it to stir up "their people" (Eric Holder quote). After all is said and done Ferguson is in ruins and nothing has changed.

Another failed government system.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/07/365507-dylann-roof-illegally-obtained-gun-used-fbi-just-announced-allowed-happen/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Owned&utm_term=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Crime

“Comey said failures in the gun purchase screening system enabled Roof to acquire the weapon used in an attack that authorities have said was motivated by Roof’s racist views.

Roof, who has since been charged with nine counts of murder, purchased a .45 caliber handgun despite being arrested on a felony narcotics charge — a charge that should have prevented him from obtaining the weapon.

Comey admitted to the federal government’s inability to prevent Roof from purchasing the weapon, expressing deep regret for the agency’s failure:

He PASSED a back ground check!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash: :wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...

CIVIL RIGHTS UPDATE:..................The Times Are Changing.

“The idea that guns provide protection appears to be quickly gaining currency among American blacks. In December, 54 percent of blacks polled by Pew said they believed guns were more likely to protect people than to put their safety at risk. That figure was up from 29 percent two years earlier. For whites, 62 percent said guns protect people, up from 54 percent in 2012.”

• 3 weeks later...

Here in NJ, a bb or pellet pistol is considered a firearm and as such is controlled by all the firearms laws in the state. :wallbash:

but, you can marry your father. sooooo.... there is that?

but that is ridiculous. i wonder if they pad their stats with putting bb/pellet guns in with firearms.

Edited by jboyst62

Here in NJ, a bb or pellet pistol is considered a firearm and as such is controlled by all the firearms laws in the state. :wallbash:

If it makes you feel any better, the Boy Scouts of America recently banned all water balloon activities because they have classified a water balloon as "a weapon."

I received a letter in the mail from the VA a few months back offering me free gun locks. All I had to do was fill out a form. I wonder what was more important to them, me having the gun locks or them having information regarding any weapons I might own?

http://conservative-daily.com/2015/08/07/crowd-of-protesters-save-vet-from-obamas-thugs/

It’s happening again. The Obama administration is making another push to disarm as many veterans as possible. The reason? Your guess is as good as mine. Bureaucrats within the Obama administration

But this is happening and it is up to you to stop it!

Don’t let Obama disarm our veterans and retirees! Demand that Congress put a stop to this unconstitutional gun grab!

Since Obama took office, the Department of Veterans Affairs has disarmed over 170,000 American veterans. This week, they tried to take another veterans’ guns away.

On July 30, John Arnold received a letter from the VA declaring that he had been deemed incompetent and that government agents would be by his home shortly to confiscate his firearms.

John had a stroke a year ago. He is doing better now, but because of a single box that was checked on a form a year ago – saying that he temporarily needed help with his finances – he is now legally barred from buying or owning firearms.

The VA informed John that an inspector would be by his house on August 6 to seize his guns. That day, more than a hundred of John’s neighbors came to put a stop to the seizure. Fellow veterans came out… State representatives came out… So when the VA official did show up, he saw the crowd before him and conceded that Mr. Arnold’s firearms wouldn’t be confiscated today.

I received a letter in the mail from the VA a few months back offering me free gun locks. All I had to do was fill out a form. I wonder what was more important to them, me having the gun locks or them having information regarding any weapons I might own?

http://conservative-daily.com/2015/08/07/crowd-of-protesters-save-vet-from-obamas-thugs/

It’s happening again. The Obama administration is making another push to disarm as many veterans as possible. The reason? Your guess is as good as mine. Bureaucrats within the Obama administration

But this is happening and it is up to you to stop it!

Don’t let Obama disarm our veterans and retirees! Demand that Congress put a stop to this unconstitutional gun grab!

Since Obama took office, the Department of Veterans Affairs has disarmed over 170,000 American veterans. This week, they tried to take another veterans’ guns away.

On July 30, John Arnold received a letter from the VA declaring that he had been deemed incompetent and that government agents would be by his home shortly to confiscate his firearms.

John had a stroke a year ago. He is doing better now, but because of a single box that was checked on a form a year ago – saying that he temporarily needed help with his finances – he is now legally barred from buying or owning firearms.

The VA informed John that an inspector would be by his house on August 6 to seize his guns. That day, more than a hundred of John’s neighbors came to put a stop to the seizure. Fellow veterans came out… State representatives came out… So when the VA official did show up, he saw the crowd before him and conceded that Mr. Arnold’s firearms wouldn’t be confiscated today.

After further research...that's significantly overstating things as a Second Amendment or "Obama bad" issue.

The real point of concern should be that the VA can legally declare someone as "mentally deficient" on the basis of their "inability" to use VA benefits...which is a bit of reasoning tailor-made for bureaucratic abuse.