Dick Jauron's on the Rams' wish-list

Um, he also:

Hand picked Aaron Maybin

Fired Schonert a week before the season started - which is a sign of horrible leadership

Was never able to develop a qb

"Winning in the NFL is hard"

The Browns defense was pretty good and a lot of people wanted him kept on in Cleveland

The hatred for this man in Buffalo is incredible. He got 7 wins a year his first three years here. He drafted Byrd, signed everyone's beloved hero Fitzpatrick, drafted Stevie, Wood, Levitre, McKelvin. Turned Wilson into a safety.

People act like Dick Jauron is the worst coach in the history of any sport on any planet or something, yet he was more successful than Gailey who people seem to feel all warm and fuzzy for because he said he wanted to be here.

It's that easy: "I want to be in Buffalo. I'll choose you guys!" Say that and you're beloved, regardless of the results. Well, Jauron wanted you guys too, won MORE games for you than your man Chan Gailey, and drafted some good players for the team. But he didn't make a big show of what a big heart he ha`d for coming to coach the Bills, so you all hate him.

You are actually correct when it comes to that draft. As sarcastic as you try to be, jargon insisted on Maybin

When it comes to Maybin, Jauron had 100% draft power and authority. But for any player who turned out in any way good at all (Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Stevie, McKelvin) is was Modrak or Levy or Brandon or even Ralph himself making those picks.

According to most Bills fans, Jauron must get no credit and must be villified and attacked at every turn.

His crime? Not being emotional enough and not telling them how much he loved them apparently, because Chan is still beloved here.

Jauron won more games than Gailey in three years here, and that's with Gailey's legendary offense and a "franchise QB"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As a DC Jauron is average. His team's defenses have mostly been in the middle of the NFL pack. However, one redeeming quality that STL might have been looking at is that his defenses were generally above average against the pass, including top 10 pass defenses in his last year in Buffalo and one of his two years in Cleveland. This is a passing league and becoming more so every year.

WE have hit ROCK bottom when we are starting threads on which failed coach is better.

Let's talk about the draft and Doug and his new the staff . I have a good feeling about the future.

This is from someone who has been going to games since 1980.

Bill Polian, Jim Kelly's first game against the Jets and last a wild card lost to thr Jags.

Cornelius Bennett first game vs Elway and Denver. One of thse greatest trades of all time.

Leonard Smith and James Lofton to big pieces to the super bowl puzzle.

Just to name a few.

Have a Great Day guys

Jerry O. AKA The Thirty Year Fan.

I was no fan of him, but the level of hatred for the man among most Bills fans in incredible to me. We've seen far worse before and after him at HC. He is a very good defensive coordinator, just not a great head man.

Maybe if he blubbered a little and told Bills fans that he loved them things would be different.

You could not have posssibly been in the stands during his 4 years. Anyone who was there saw his actions (or lack of), his head down crap, his lack of emotion in an emotional sport. He failed to inspire. Tactics maybe something he can do, knowledge he has, , he is respectful but he cannot lead. Head Coaches Lead

Looks like Rob the slob Ryan is out and Dick the Corpse Jauron is in...

Really not sure how this guy keeps getting work. The myth that he is a great DC is just not true. Although I don't like Donte Whitner, his comments about Jauron's Tampa 2 are spot on. It just proves that the NFL is a good ole boys club. You mean to tell me there isn't some up and coming coach at the, high school, or college ranks (even division 2) who couldn't come in and do a better job than Dick? It's really ridiculous that this guy can keep getting work, despite not being good at his job. He's been with the Bears, the Lions, the Eagles, the Bills, the Browns, and soon to be the Rams. Who wants to guess where he'll coach next?

Even Gailey badly outcoached Jauron this past year, but hey... hire the guy! by all means!

link to story:

http://profootballta...ve-coordinator/

:w00t::bag:

Looks like Rob the slob Ryan is out and Dick the Corpse Jauron is in...

Really not sure how this guy keeps getting work. The myth that he is a great DC is just not true. Although I don't like Donte Whitner, his comments about Jauron's Tampa 2 are spot on. It just proves that the NFL is a good ole boys club. You mean to tell me there isn't some up and coming coach at the, high school, or college ranks (even division 2) who couldn't come in and do a better job than Dick? It's really ridiculous that this guy can keep getting work, despite not being good at his job. He's been with the Bears, the Lions, the Eagles, the Bills, the Browns, and soon to be the Rams. Who wants to guess where he'll coach next?

Even Gailey badly outcoached Jauron this past year, but hey... hire the guy! by all means!

link to story:

http://profootballta...ve-coordinator/

Gailey outcoached no one. He did a worse job than Jauron all 3 years, just look at the record. And he did so with far superior players than Jauron had.

Do I want DJ back, oh hell no. But facts are facts.

On the OP: I don't know that Donte's comments really make all that much sense. The Bills were putting a number of young players on the field when Donte was drafted, so letting those inexperienced guys call the defense on the field sounds like a recipe for total disaster -- an incredibly Wannstedtian idea. Other than that, he's saying the 3-4 is better because they play various zone coverages whereas in Buffalo they played various zone coverages in a 4-3. Hunh? Oh wait, in San Francisco he has a better front 7 in front of him and doesn't have to read and diagnose to fill the Bob Sanders / Troy Polamalu role of covering up mistakes made by an undersized front.

Obviously, he is the worst coach ever and the fact that NFL teams keep hiring him means nothing. They are stupid.

His record says he is one of the worst head coaches of all time to have been an NFL head coach as long as he was. (His inability to hire capable coaches on the offensive side of the ball being a factor.)

On the other hand, he is a great person and an average to good defensive coordinator and he can work with & get production out of a fairly young group.

When did either of them rise to that level?

Agreed. It's interesting how Rich Kotite is cited as the worst head coach in history for failing with the Big Apple Jets, yet guys that posted comparable records as the head coach in Buffalo get elevated to mediocre and just about average.

Fisher is the head coach, and he's a defense guy. He will implement his scheme and Jauron, a Yale man, will be able to teach it.

As for Jauron, he was horrible. He, along with Marv, drafted Whittner at #8, then played him 40 or so yards off of scrimage. Then, he used a #11 on McKelvin, only to put him in a Tampa-2, in which receivers are handed off to safeties. He would even drop Schobel, a legit pass rusher, back into coverage.

This team is still trying to recover from the Levy/Jauron Era. They beat this franchise half to death.

The Browns defense was pretty good and a lot of people wanted him kept on in Cleveland

The hatred for this man in Buffalo is incredible. He got 7 wins a year his first three years here. He drafted Byrd, signed everyone's beloved hero Fitzpatrick, drafted Stevie, Wood, Levitre, McKelvin. Turned Wilson into a safety.

People act like Dick Jauron is the worst coach in the history of any sport on any planet or something, yet he was more successful than Gailey who people seem to feel all warm and fuzzy for because he said he wanted to be here.

It's that easy: "I want to be in Buffalo. I'll choose you guys!" Say that and you're beloved, regardless of the results. Well, Jauron wanted you guys too, won MORE games for you than your man Chan Gailey, and drafted some good players for the team. But he didn't make a big show of what a big heart he ha`d for coming to coach the Bills, so you all hate him.

You are 100% correct. It is amazing to me how blind so many fans are to him. He is a VERY good defensive coach. Jeff Fisher must be a horrible coach for wanting Jauron. Cleveland had a lot better defense than the Bills did this year didn't they and it was their defense that kept them in games and NOT their rookie QB. He was too passive as a head coach but he is a very good defensive coordinator. Same as Chan knowing offense and being a very good offensive coordinator just not a very good head coach.

I was referring specifically to the third game of the year when Gailey's offense and Jauron's defense went head to head. In that PARTICULAR game, Gailey outcoached Jauron. I wasn't drawing comparions further than that, but since others are, the posters who say that Jauron sucked the life out of the sport are spot on. Gailey's teams were more entertaining and at least he looked like he had the fire to win. Jauron always shrugged his shoulders and said "hey, it's hard to win in this league." Neither coach could beat a team with a winning record, aside from Gailey defeating Belichick...

Gailey outcoached no one. He did a worse job than Jauron all 3 years, just look at the record. And he did so with far superior players than Jauron had.

Do I want DJ back, oh hell no. But facts are facts.

Looking back on his draft history he was about even he had some really good hits & some really bad misses.

Hits - Williams, Johnson, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, & maybe Mckelvin

Misses - McCargo, Youboty, T. Edwards, Hardy, Maybin, D Bell

Starters that moved on

J Wendling - ST, Brad Butler - retired, Poz, Lynch, Ellison - ? , S. Nelson, Whitner

So if some of these players would have stayed Jaurons draft hits would have been better than some coaches we have had but as it stands he's around the .500 mark ...

Yeah 3 seasons of 7-9 Yeah awesome stuff there. Talk about Winning it all!!! :wallbash:

Edited by mattsox

Looking back on his draft history he was about even he had some really good hits & some really bad misses.

Hits - Williams, Johnson, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, & maybe Mckelvin

Misses - McCargo, Youboty, T. Edwards, Hardy, Maybin, D Bell

Starters that moved on

J Wendling - ST, Brad Butler - retired, Poz, Lynch, Ellison - ? , S. Nelson, Whitner

So if some of these players would have stayed Jaurons draft hits would have been better than some coaches we have had but as it stands he's around the .500 mark ...

Why do we keep giving coaches the credit and blame for draft picks? They are not the person making the decision. If you think that they had too much influence in the draft blame the GM. If you think that they had too little influence in the draft blame the GM. If a certain draft was crap blame the GM. If a certain draft was outstanding praise the GM.

Coaches coach.

Players play.

Scouts scout.

GMs GM.

Why do we keep giving coaches the credit and blame for draft picks? They are not the person making the decision. If you think that they had too much influence in the draft blame the GM. If you think that they had too little influence in the draft blame the GM. If a certain draft was crap blame the GM. If a certain draft was outstanding praise the GM.

Coaches coach.

Players play.

Scouts scout.

GMs GM.

In essence, I agree with what you say...but I bet coaches have more say with some franchises than others. Find it hard to fathom that Belechik doesn't have any say in who the Pats draft in the first round...but yes, ultimately, the GM makes the decision. Also, to a lesser degree, perhaps, doesn't it seem like Chan Gailey had some input with Nix, at least as far as offensive players go?

When did either of them rise to that level?

I'd say mediocre is below average. 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons is textbook mediocrity.

Having said that, I think I was merely being too kind in defining the past 2 HC tenures--- I have no enthusiasm to celebrate them as even mediocre.

It has been a dark and boring age of disappoinment.

I was referring specifically to the third game of the year when Gailey's offense and Jauron's defense went head to head. In that PARTICULAR game, Gailey outcoached Jauron. I wasn't drawing comparions further than that, but since others are, the posters who say that Jauron sucked the life out of the sport are spot on. Gailey's teams were more entertaining and at least he looked like he had the fire to win. Jauron always shrugged his shoulders and said "hey, it's hard to win in this league." Neither coach could beat a team with a winning record, aside from Gailey defeating Belichick...

Could not disagree more with the bolded.4-12 and 6-10 (twice) are in no way entertaining for me. I don't care if a coach runs up and down the sideline yelling and spitting all over everyone while foaming at the mouth or is completely unemotional. Losing sucks. And that is the one way that Gailey was better than Jauron, losing.

Could not disagree more with the bolded.4-12 and 6-10 (twice) are in no way entertaining for me. I don't care if a coach runs up and down the sideline yelling and spitting all over everyone while foaming at the mouth or is completely unemotional. Losing sucks. And that is the one way that Gailey was better than Jauron, losing.

Ah...but those 7-9, 7-9, 7-9 and 3-7 years under DJ were the stuff of dreams! :rolleyes: