How about this trade scenario?

D521646

Ok slow today at work and was thinking about some crazy out there trades assuming value as my core goal. That said, I offer Mario Williams to Jacksonville for their 1st, and second pick this year and a third next year. Why it makes sense? Jags are slotted to need a stud DE in almost all the draft mocks as their 1st pick (2nd overall) this year. Rumor was that the Jags were one of two teams in the hunt for Mario (Bears the other) when we nabbed him last year; thirdly they have the cap room to do it, and fourthly, they need fans in the seats!!!!!

Use the 2nd overall pick to collect more draft picks -or- offer the 2nd overall pick to the Jets for the rental rights to Revis, with no long term contract stipulation required, however he MUST pass a physical. Revis contract is 6m this year w/ incentives, and he wants what some are reporting to be upwards of 15m a year on a new contract thereafter.

We use the the Jags 2nd round pick, and our 2nd round pick to trade back into the first and grab our QB, LB, CB, WR, OL. (in no particular order but depending on who we grab at 8, and how the draft pans out) -or- we stand pat with the two high 2nd round picks and select BPA, pressumably a DE.. :)

My thinking here is that Pettine has done pretty well without a pass rush on the Jets the last few years, and lets face it, Mario certainly didn't live up to the 100m contract he sighed last year so does anyone really think we can't at least get close to the 11 sacks Mario got this year with drafting a solid DE in the draft that is riddled with defensive and OL talent?

My thinking again is that even if Revis decides to run for the 2014 crazy money, we'll have shed a ton of cap space to be a player in FA next year, in addition we have hopefully solidified some gapping holes on D, and added some offensive help to whoever we have at QB this year, whether Fitz or anyone else.

So to recap, the goal is to free up cap space and or improve our options for 2014.

Add a stud CB, -or- allow us some flexibility in a defensively talented 2013 draft.

Keep us flexible in signing key players such as Byrd, Levitre

Dump a bloated ill advised contract in Mario

shine some brightness on a team that should be in a good position to compete in 2013, and into the future.

Take the steam out of the Jets off-season hype surrounding Revis. Mario will command way more interest than Revis, IMO.

Thoughts?

Tim-

They would never give up that much for Williams. Mario is not being traded. If anyone wanted him that much, they would have signed him last season.

Maybe try zombo.com instead to get through the day at work. I watch it several hours a day.

Well, I'm not so sure the Jags wouldn't give up that much. The only other team would be Tampa Bay.

The Jags need to fill seats, that much is a given and a high profile trade would do just that. They need a stud DE more than we do.

I forgot to mention that if the Ravens are willing to let Flacco walk that we would be instant contenders for sighing him this year, but if they tag him we would also be in the market next year. :)

Tim-

I'm afraid that is a very unrealistic idea. The 2nd pick in the draft is way too valuable to give up for a player of Mario's caliber. Frankly, there are probably 8-10 DE's in the NFL as good or better than Mario. Not to mention, at 2 they could draft one of the top DE's coming out of college - which is a deep position this year - and pay the kid much, much less than Mario is getting.

However, the idea of trading Mario to another team is not entirely out of the question - depending how he reacts to a new D.C., and a new system. If Mario is unwilling to adapt, or merely a bad fit, then trading him might become more realistic - but those 1st round draft picks are very coveted.

I'm afraid that is a very unrealistic idea. The 2nd pick in the draft is way too valuable to give up for a player of Mario's caliber. Frankly, there are probably 8-10 DE's in the NFL as good or better than Mario. Not to mention, at 2 they could draft one of the top DE's coming out of college - which is a deep position this year - and pay the kid much, much less than Mario is getting.

However, the idea of trading Mario to another team is not entirely out of the question - depending how he reacts to a new D.C., and a new system. If Mario is unwilling to adapt, or merely a bad fit, then trading him might become more realistic - but those 1st round draft picks are very coveted.

No I get it, but Mario was the 1st overall pick in 06, and there are no FA DE's of his calibre this year. Ask yourself whether the Jags fans would be more excited about Mario coming to them, or any 1st round DE they might pick? Make no mistake there was a "fans in the seats" factor for us signing Mario last year, as any good business decision should include.

I dunno, my point is that I think trading Mario now is better than riding his contract out. Unless he has some amazing year next year, I see no reason to believe that he gets more than 14 sacks in any given year.

Tim-

They would never give up that much for Williams. Mario is not being traded. If anyone wanted him that much, they would have signed him last season.

Maybe try zombo.com instead to get through the day at work. I watch it several hours a day.

I thought maybe it was games, tv shows, jokes, etc....LOL...."This is zombocom.....you are at zombocom....you can do anything at zombocom"

Mario sold a bunch of Jerseys for the bills last year, but looking at the end of November/December, he didn't put "fans in the seat" here

And as others have said, if they need a DE, why would they not just save the other picks and draft a guy at #2 who may put up the same stats as Mario does for less money?

Mario sold a bunch of Jerseys for the bills last year, but looking at the end of November/December, he didn't put "fans in the seat" here

And as others have said, if they need a DE, why would they not just save the other picks and draft a guy at #2 who may put up the same stats as Mario does for less money?

There are always what if's...

Look, I'm NOT saying this would happen, but it's not completely out of the realm, and would be a good move on the Bills FO is they made such a deal.

Tim-

So the Jaguars who need all the help they can get give up 3 good picks to take on Williams and his hefty contract instead of drafting a guy that can be just as productive for a fraction of the price?

Not to mention they could keep their picks to address other needs.

Sorry but this trade defies logic and is something only a Bills fan would come up with.

So the Jaguars who need all the help they can get give up 3 good picks to take on Williams and his hefty contract instead of drafting a guy that can be just as productive for a fraction of the price?

Not to mention they could keep their picks to address other needs.

Sorry but this trade defies logic and is something only a Bills fan would come up with.

dont forget the bills getting crushed by marios amoritorized bonus money getting accelerated, i believe

How is it any more or less crazy than what "experts" are saying about the potential Revis trade?

Tim-

revis is in the last year of his deal, not the first. its about as different as can be.

How is it any more or less crazy than what "experts" are saying about the potential Revis trade?

Tim-

Revis is widely accepted as the best defensive play in football. He's not making much money this year. The new team gets to negotiate his contract.

I don't see any compelling reasons a team would decide to give up draft picks this year for Mario when they could have just signed him last year. He didn't have a bad year, but he didn't have a year that suddenly going to make teams give up picks to get a contract they were unwilling to give him last year.

phew now some one else can take the heat for trading Mario, thanks D521646 :D

I would not trade him to the jags this year as the QBs in the draft are not worth it, neither is revis.

I would consider trading him next year if Manziel comes out or if we need trade up to get one of the other QBs like AJ McCarron, Blake Bortles and Casey Pachall depending on how they rank in the 2014 draft.

Wow! do you work at "office Space" ? :blink: