E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

I think he can start right away.

He played all four years and was a 3-year starter in a pro-style offense.

He's an Academic All-American and is working on his second degree.

No reason why he couldn't start as a rookie.

You've all sold me on Manuel long-term, but for discussion here's another viewpoint from Buffalo Rumblings on the pro-style offense part.

"For as smart as Manuel is, Florida State did not run a complex offense for him. Fisher designed a predicated read offense where Manuel could make decisions pre-snap with only one or two reads after the ball is snapped. Most of Florida State's route combinations were high-low reads that developed in front of Manuel's field of vision to one side. After his initial reads were covered, he either held onto the ball too long looking for something to come open, or he took off running. He didn't work through many progressions past the second receiver, he didn't call audibles, and has a lot to learn about running an NFL offense at tempo and making fast reads against disguised NFL coverages."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/21/4234106/ej-manuel-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, thanks Boone.

The audible thing was debated. I know for a fact that EJ was allowed to make hot reads and adjust routes at the LOS based on the looks and blitzes the defenses were showing him.

And i'll still call BS on the "simplified" offense that a lot of people are saying FSU runs/ran with EJ. Fisher runs a complicated offense, and will not put a QB out there that doesn't understand his offense. That's all the local guys talk about is the complexity of Jimbo's offense.

As for the ball handling, its not that he fumbles, its that he sometimes tends to carry the ball away from his body when running, something that's easily correctable.

Edited by Ramius

The audible thing was debated. I know for a fact that EJ was allowed to make hot reads and adjust routes at the LOS based on the looks and blitzes the defenses were showing him.

Ramius, how does Manuel compare to Ponder as a pro prospect, not some much as what they accomplished as a college player?

Sorry if this was already addressed in the thread, I'm not going to go back through 20+ pages. ;)

Ramius, how does Manuel compare to Ponder as a pro prospect, not some much as what they accomplished as a college player?

Sorry if this was already addressed in the thread, I'm not going to go back through 20+ pages. ;)

I haven't done a direct comparison, but based on what i knew and saw in 2011 with Ponder versus now with EJ, i'd say that EJ has the higher ceiling, but lower floor. EJ is the better athlete and has better physical skills, but Ponder was a better pure passer. Both could make plays with their feet. Ponder is a danger to scramble for a first. EJ is a danger to turn a broken play into a 50 yard run. I thought Ponder could come out and play very soon as a rookie, whereas i think EJ will take a bit of seasoning and coaching.

Lots of FSU fans rag on EJ and say that they'd rather have Ponder under center. However, a lot of that is Ponder was a 3 star recruit who received little fanfare, but developed a ton under Jimbo. EJ on the other hand was a 5 star prospect, one of the "top" QBs in the country out of HS, and Jimbo's first "big" offensive recruit. The expectations for EJ were so much higher than they ever were for Ponder, hence the reason FSU fans look back that much more longingly on Ponder than EJ.

I haven't done a direct comparison, but based on what i knew and saw in 2011 with Ponder versus now with EJ, i'd say that EJ has the higher ceiling, but lower floor. EJ is the better athlete and has better physical skills, but Ponder was a better pure passer. Both could make plays with their feet. Ponder is a danger to scramble for a first. EJ is a danger to turn a broken play into a 50 yard run. I thought Ponder could come out and play very soon as a rookie, whereas i think EJ will take a bit of seasoning and coaching.

Lots of FSU fans rag on EJ and say that they'd rather have Ponder under center. However, a lot of that is Ponder was a 3 star recruit who received little fanfare, but developed a ton under Jimbo. EJ on the other hand was a 5 star prospect, one of the "top" QBs in the country out of HS, and Jimbo's first "big" offensive recruit. The expectations for EJ were so much higher than they ever were for Ponder, hence the reason FSU fans look back that much more longingly on Ponder than EJ.

Thanks. A very reliable source you are on that.

If you were an NFL GM though, and they were both coming out in the same year, this year, who would you prefer to draft if you had to take one of them for your team. Keeping in mind that a QB taken high, IMO, is a 5-10 year proposition for a team and a GM and not a who can help me the most right now or quick fix proposition.

If you were an NFL GM though, and they were both coming out in the same year, this year, who would you prefer to draft if you had to take one of them for your team. Keeping in mind that a QB taken high, IMO, is a 5-10 year proposition for a team and a GM and not a who can help me the most right now or quick fix proposition.

EJ. Based off of the potential and the flashes of absolute brilliance he's shown.

I think he can start right away.

He played all four years and was a 3-year starter in a pro-style offense.

He's an Academic All-American and is working on his second degree.

No reason why he couldn't start as a rookie.

I think I love him.

Is there anything wrong with that?

As for the ball handling, its not that he fumbles, its that he sometimes tends to carry the ball away from his body when running, something that's easily correctable.

Also if he doesn't have a high number of fumbles I would be completely unconcerned seeing as he's a very big (6'5" 240 pound) kid with monstrous (10 3/8") hands.

If he wasn't a fumbler in college he's not gonna have a hard time adjusting to the pro game with those measurables.

I've very intrigued by Manuel so I asked my friend who is a huge FSU fan for his scouting report (I'd love to see what Ramius thinks about it)

"EJ Manuel is not a franchise qb in my opinion at all… I watched him for years, and he locks in on one receiver and if there is even a little bit of confusion or pressure behind the line he scrambles for 1 yard even if he has plenty of time… He goes out of his way to NOT turn the ball over, but does not impress on anything else… He will get a shot due to the timid style of not turning the ball over, but he won’t excite you, he might be perfect for a $Hitty team like the Jets… who do not look to score."

Doesn't mean can't improve with better coaching (FSU hasn't been known for their NFL QBs), but it dampens things for me a bit. He was absolutely shocked when Ponder went in the 1st.

I've very intrigued by Manuel so I asked my friend who is a huge FSU fan for his scouting report (I'd love to see what Ramius thinks about it)

"EJ Manuel is not a franchise qb in my opinion at all… I watched him for years, and he locks in on one receiver and if there is even a little bit of confusion or pressure behind the line he scrambles for 1 yard even if he has plenty of time… He goes out of his way to NOT turn the ball over, but does not impress on anything else… He will get a shot due to the timid style of not turning the ball over, but he won’t excite you, he might be perfect for a $Hitty team like the Jets… who do not look to score."

Doesn't mean can't improve with better coaching (FSU hasn't been known for their NFL QBs), but it dampens things for me a bit. He was absolutely shocked when Ponder went in the 1st.

EJ isn't timid, and he doesn't just bail and run. Yes, he will move from the pocket when pressure comes as opposed to stepping up. But he doesn't just run into the line for 1 yard line like your friend says. He doesn't freak out. He'll sit there and throw. I'm not sure what games your friend is watching. EJ actually didn't run much at all this past season after the Clemson game, much to the chagrin of FSU fans everywhere.

With the turnovers, he will get into trouble by trying to do too much in the backfield, but he tends to take the sack as opposed to forcing a crappy pass, if thats hat he meant.

EJ isn't a franchise guy right now, or else he'd be going #1 overall. But he's got the potential to turn into one, as seen in games like the 2011 Bowl game vs ND (played with a broken leg) and the 2012 Clemson game.