Bills should trade for Josh Freeman of the Bucs

Freeman dropped a ton of weight going into last season. He was crushing it before his OL was turned into shambles.

"all in" on a trade for Josh Freeman............he's a Big Ben in training............is one tough guy.......i remember watching him knock out a CB after an INT return one time............love his fire.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He just turned 25 on 1/13/13. I would guess he has to be among the all time leader in touchdown passes before 25.

That accuracy is the thing that worries me a little bit, but I like Freeman. If TB wants to get rid of him, and that's a big if, I'd be interested at the cost of a swap of firsts and our second, maybe a little more.

Is there an actual source for this? This feels more like, "Man, I wish we had Freeman." then talking yourself into the idea that the Bucs would trade him.

i think its the standard issue discussion for a player when the team says they will not be discussing an extension with them and they only have one year left.

If the Bills are able to get Freeman from the Bucs it's a coup no matter how you slice it. The fact Schiano wants "competition" in camp tells me he could be had for the right price.

Freeman has an incredibly high ceiling, and his floor is already higher than what we have with Fitz (higher career QB rating, YPA).

Love to see this coaching staff (Hackett and Marrone, specifically) work with a 25-year-old talent like Freeman.

Let's dissect the logic of the idea of trading for a QB. No team will trade a player they consider essential to winning, so the mere fact they would consider a trade shows they don't think enough of said player to keep him. But "anyone is better than Fitz!" We hear that so much that we have pretty much accepted this as gospel. A QB with 3400yds, 24 TDs and 16INTS is worse than any QB we can name, even ones out of the league for years. So most Bills fans want to not only cut Fitz, as if he deserves some kind of punishment for "sucking", but we should also burn half our draft picks on a player another team is looking to unload, because we have convinced ourselves that anyone we get has to be better that what we had...that every loss we had was 100% attributable to QB play, not defense or special teams or coaching.

Talk about a recipe for failure.

PTR

Let's dissect the logic of the idea of trading for a QB. No team will trade a player they consider essential to winning, so the mere fact they would consider a trade shows they don't think enough of said player to keep him. But "anyone is better than Fitz!" We hear that so much that we have pretty much accepted this as gospel. A QB with 3400yds, 24 TDs and 16INTS is worse than any QB we can name, even ones out of the league for years. So most Bills fans want to not only cut Fitz, as if he deserves some kind of punishment for "sucking", but we should also burn half our draft picks on a player another team is looking to unload, because we have convinced ourselves that anyone we get has to be better that what we had...that every loss we had was 100% attributable to QB play, not defense or special teams or coaching.

Talk about a recipe for failure.

PTR

PTR, I hear you, but the jury is still most definitely out on Schiano as an NFL head coach and Freeman was considered a rising star very recently. When has Fitz ever been considered a rising star? I would absolutely give up the Bills' 1st rounder this year for Freeman, contingent upon him signing a 4-5 year extension. Instant starter with tons more upside, and you can still draft one of the other QBs in the 3rd or 4th to "groom" as a backup.

PTR, I hear you, but the jury is still most definitely out on Schiano as an NFL head coach and Freeman was considered a rising star very recently. When has Fitz ever been considered a rising star? I would absolutely give up the Bills' 1st rounder this year for Freeman, contingent upon him signing a 4-5 year extension. Instant starter with tons more upside, and you can still draft one of the other QBs in the 3rd or 4th to "groom" as a backup.

I thought I read something somewhere about Freeman not being dedicated enough for Schiano's liking. Some QBs have the talent, but they just don't have that drive necessary to become a great QB. Now I don't know if this is the case with Freeman, but if it is the Bills should definitely not try to trade for him.

Just draft EJ Manuel. Not only does he have the talent, he's said to be a film room junkie.

Seems like a lot of people are calling Freeman a stud...

2009: 54.4%, 1,855 yds, 10 TD, 18 INT (6.4 ypa)

2010: 61.4%, 3,451 yds, 25 TD, 6 INT (7.3 ypa)

2011: 62.8%, 3,592 yds, 16 TD, 22 INT (6.5 ypa)

2012: 54.8%, 4,065 yds, 27 TD, 17 INT (7.3 ypa)

If anything he's inconsistent and prone to throwing interceptions. Sound familiar? Sure he's got upside, but he certainly is not a stud.

Agree that people need to back off the stud. Where I disagree that in 2009 the Bucs were by far the worst team in the league - even the Bills smashed them which is saying a lot. The Raheem Morris years were a joke as well. This guy needs a good coach and system and he has the potential to do great things. Not saying we will make him into Jim Kelly - odds are we develop him into a UFL quarterback like all the others.

In the same light.. he has to be among the all time leaders in interceptions thrown before 25.

I'm not saying he will ever be close to as good, but for the sake of comparison:

Josh Freeman's 1st 4 years: 78 tds, 63 ints. http://www.nfl.com/player/joshfreeman/79557/profile

Peyton Manning 1st 4 years: 111 tds, 77 ints. http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/profile

I thought I read something somewhere about Freeman not being dedicated enough for Schiano's liking. Some QBs have the talent, but they just don't have that drive necessary to become a great QB. Now I don't know if this is the case with Freeman, but if it is the Bills should definitely not try to trade for him.

Just draft EJ Manuel. Not only does he have the talent, he's said to be a film room junkie.

What QB has Schiano ever developed? His QBs at Rutgers never came close to getting a sniff in the NFL. Freeman went on a gluten free diet and lost like 20 lbs this offseason. I've heard the guy intereviewed and he sounds like a leader to me. Seriously, this would make my offseason.

I'm not saying he will ever be close to as good, but for the sake of comparison:

Josh Freeman's 1st 4 years: 78 tds, 63 ints. http://www.nfl.com/p...n/79557/profile

Peyton Manning 1st 4 years: 111 tds, 77 ints. http://www.nfl.com/p...2501863/profile

What QB has Schiano ever developed? His QBs at Rutgers never came close to getting a sniff in the NFL. Freeman went on a gluten free diet and lost like 20 lbs this offseason. I've heard the guy intereviewed and he sounds like a leader to me. Seriously, this would make my offseason.

...but what would you be happy we paid for him though?

I really liked John from Helmet's fantasy about swapping 1st rounders and throwing in a 3rd.

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

...but what would you be happy we paid for him though?

I really liked John from Helmet's fantasy about swapping 1st rounders and throwing in a 3rd.

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Personally, I think he is worth the #8 overall pick. Any thing less than that would be a steal IMO. No price is too high for a franchise guy. I really believe he can be a franchise guy. Look at Flacco now. Not the greatest Completion % but he makes big plays.

Statistically, he seems identical to Fitzpatrick. I'm judging his performance on advanced passer rating, which has been below 100 (the baseline for average performance) for two season in a row (87 in 2011 and 96 in 2012). Fitzpatrick was 93 in 2011 and 98 in 2012.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FreeJo00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

Statistically, he seems identical to Fitzpatrick. I'm judging his performance on advanced passer rating, which has been below 100 (the baseline for average performance) for two season in a row (87 in 2011 and 96 in 2012). Fitzpatrick was 93 in 2011 and 98 in 2012.

http://www.pro-footb.../F/FreeJo00.htm

http://www.pro-footb.../F/FitzRy00.htm

You know they say statistics are for losers. ;)

Freeman passes the eye test. You don't look at these two QBs play and not come away with a pretty clear indication of who is the more talented guy.