Bills should trade for Josh Freeman of the Bucs

Statistically, he seems identical to Fitzpatrick. I'm judging his performance on advanced passer rating, which has been below 100 (the baseline for average performance) for two season in a row (87 in 2011 and 96 in 2012). Fitzpatrick was 93 in 2011 and 98 in 2012.

http://www.pro-footb.../F/FreeJo00.htm

http://www.pro-footb.../F/FitzRy00.htm

But the main difference is one guy is 25 with all the physical tools in the world and the other guy is 30 and struggles to complete a 10 yard pass. Talent wise, I don't know if there is a QB with his skillset in this draft. Plus, he has NFL starting experience which is a huge plus.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistically, he seems identical to Fitzpatrick. I'm judging his performance on advanced passer rating, which has been below 100 (the baseline for average performance) for two season in a row (87 in 2011 and 96 in 2012). Fitzpatrick was 93 in 2011 and 98 in 2012.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FreeJo00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

and 113 the year before.....

But the main difference is one guy is 25 with all the physical tools in the world and the other guy is 30 and struggles to complete a 10 yard pass. Talent wise, I don't know if there is a QB with his skillset in this draft. Plus, he has NFL starting experience which is a huge plus.

I get that, and while I don't mean to defend Fitzpatrick, excelling at the QB position relies as much on the mental game as the physical game. Mentally, Fitz plays the position at a very high level, but of course he doesn't have the physical ability to be a top tier QB. Freeman has the physical tools, but I don't know if he has the mental ability to excel. He might -- I just don't know. However, if he doesn't he'll be no improvement over Fitzpatrick whatever his physical skills might be. Is it worth the gamble? Yes, I'd say so, because I think teams without QBs should repeatedly gamble on the position until they have it solved (a philosophy that the Bills GM has unfortunately failed to follow). But it's also worth bearing in mind that we might be getting JP Losman 2.0.

You know they say statistics are for losers. ;)

Freeman passes the eye test. You don't look at these two QBs play and not come away with a pretty clear indication of who is the more talented guy.

He definitely passes the eye test on a highlight reel. But what is he like on a play-by-play and week-by-week basis? Is he inconsistent? If so, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect more of the same if he comes to the Bills. It's worth noting that he was never a winner in college at Kansas State despite the fact that K-State has been pretty good over the last dozen years or so. His record there was 17-20, and his record at TB is 24-32.

He also fumbles a lot, averaging 9 fumbles per year since he entered the league. He had 10 fumbles in 2012.

Edited by dave mcbride

I would give a 1st and my left ball for Freeman. He's a stud and only fell apart after their 2 guards got hurt. They'd be stupid to trade him but we'd be even stupider to not kick the tires. I love that the Jets passed on him for Sanchez.

Well....we passed on him for Maybin

Doubt that's what's going on in TB. However, if he were available - The Bills should snatch him up in a heartbeat.

What do the following QBs have in common - other than they were drafted by and starters in TB and then traded to another team?

Doug Williams

Trent Dilfer

Steve Young

Need a hint anyone?

QBs drafted by the Bucs and won super bowls with other teams (saw where it had been partially but not totally answered, apologies if it was)