ESPN has Fitz on the cut list..... Set to make 10.3 million...

mellaman101

I say if FItz takes a restructure then keep the dude. He made enough money already in guaranteed cash, he has a family that likes Buffalo and he's not going to be anything but a backup anywhere else, so why not be a backup for us?

He probably would be willing to this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even want him as a back-up.

What is the point of keeping a guy who can't win?

We been trying for over 10+ years to get a single QB that can win, and you expect us to get two of them all of a sudden? Fitz would definitely be one of the better backups in the league - if we could get him to greatly restructure his deal.

I don't think he'll go for the pay cut and backup role, and I think he's gone. New coach needs to put his signature on his time here with a new QB.

You know what would suck? Seeing the type of QBing that made us all excited to watch Fitz. Man I hope we land a keeper this draft.

Count me in the 'take 2 qbs' camp. If they don't work in 1 year, take more qbs next year. That may seem rash, but hell, it's an expedient way to find a franchise qb.

I say if FItz takes a restructure then keep the dude. He made enough money already in guaranteed cash, he has a family that likes Buffalo and he's not going to be anything but a backup anywhere else, so why not be a backup for us?

Funny thing is, if another team cut him, after the same results he had in Buffalo, I might be okay with signing him as a vetran backup. Somebody will. But it won't be the Bills, and it probably shouldn't be. He is a good guy, and I take no joy in wanting him gone, but it just wouldn't be good for whoever takes his place...and just suppose he did end up starting again...Bills fans are pretty rough, once they have made up their mind.

It's not good for the lockerroom to have the former starting QB that just got benched stick around. Creates an awkward situation. Especially if the new guy struggles. And I understand that it sucks to make families move a lot, but we can't worry about that.

I could live with it. But I rather see them give T. Jackson a chance because he really didnt get a chance to show what he could do.

In all seriousness, his biggest flaw is down the field accuracy. Can this be coached? Can this improve? I don't think it can. He has toughness, leadership, and smarts. I don't think it is arm strength unless his lack of it is affecting his accuracy. Can improved mechanics/footwork improve his deep ball? I don't now for sure one way or the other but I really doubt it at this point.

Guys like Lombardi talk about accuracy or lack of while in college as one of the most predictive traits for drafting a QB. How do you measure accuracy for a guy who throws 5 bubble screens a game in college? There is no way throwing in shorts at the combine or their pro day can mean anything.

Here is my prediction.

Step 1: The bills cut Fitzpartrick

Step 2: The bills reach for a QB in the first round, but since the QB they drafted is not a top talent he and the bills struggle.

Step 3: The bills the following year have a top 5 draft pick and there is a very good QB prospect available when they are on the clock, but they pass because you can't give up on last year's first round pick after just one season.

Step 4: The bills have a 2nd consecutive horrible season under Marone and realize that their 2013 first round pick is not going to make it.

Step 5: Marone and his staff will be fired after their 3rd season on the job. Bills fans become optimistic that the new coach will turn the franchise around.

God willing I'm wrong about this.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

Here is my prediction.

Step 1: The bills cut Fitzpartrick

Step 2: The bills reach for a QB in the first round, but since the QB they drafted is not a top talent he and the bills struggle.

Step 3: The bills the following year have a top 5 draft pick and there is a very good QB prospect available when they are on the clock, but they pass because you can't give up on last year's first round pick after just one season.

Step 4: The bills have a 2nd consecutive horrible season under Marone and realize that their 2013 first round pick is not going to make it.

Step 5: Marone and his staff will be fired after their 3rd season on the job. Bills fans become optimistic that the new coach will turn the franchise around.

God willing I'm wrong about this.

This is also the scenario that scares me. That's why I'd kinda prefer a QB taken in the 2nd round this year. (Unless Geno Smith drops? I think Geno's pretty good. Nowhere near Luck or RG3 as a prospect, though.) Because if a 2nd-rounder flops, it's not tough to come back and draft a QB in the first the following year. (See Jimmy Claussen/Cam Newton.) NFL teams are extremely conservative and extremely risk averse, and there no way that a team is going to draft a QB at #8 overall, then draft another QB in the 1st round the following year. (Unless the first QB's career was ended by injury or illness or something.) Maybe the NFL's culture will eventually change to a point that that could happen, but we're not close to that now. So if we draft QB at #8, he'd better be good, because he'll get at least 2 and probably 3 years to show that he is.