You think Spiller is fast?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe after the hip injury...

yes. This

However, based in the information that I can find on Bo is that he ran a wind aided 10.39 in 1984.

CJ has times that say he's ran a 10.22.

Either way its blazing lay fast and is suspect that neither of the 2 lose much with the pads on. Maybe CJ a bit on the top end.

Bo however was much larger than CJ and for a person of his size to be able to run that fast is some serious freight train stuff.

funny how Beebe gets up and looks back to see who the hell just caught him from behind. He's obviously not used to that happening.

Paul Maguire can be heard twice in the background saying..."he's gone...he's gone." Apparently he isn't used to it either. Beebe is definitely a bit 'shocked' however. Good point.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

Interesting article:

http://www.armorytrack.com/News/Post/two-kinds-of-speed

Here are the top 10 auto times in NFL history. Note that we aren't including Cliff Branch's 10.0 hand time from 1972.

• 10.01 — Jacoby Ford (WR, Oakland)
  • 10.06 — Bob Hayes (WR, Dallas/San Francisco)
  • 10.06 — Ron Brown (WR, L.A. Rams/Raiders)
  • 10.07 — Alvis Whitted (WR, Jacksonville/Oakland)
  • 10.08 — Darrell Green (CB, Washington Redskins)
  • 10.09 — Sam Graddy (WR, Denver/L.A. Raiders)
  • 10.10 — Willie Gault (WR, Chicago/L.A. Raiders)
  • 10.11 — Mike Miller (WR, N.Y. Giants/New Orleans)
  • 10.11 — Curtis Dickey (RB, Baltimore/Indianapolis/Cleveland)
  • 10.14 — James Trapp (CB, Raiders/Baltimore/Jacksonville)

Interesting article:

http://www.armorytra...-kinds-of-speed

Here are the top 10 auto times in NFL history. Note that we aren't including Cliff Branch's 10.0 hand time from 1972.

Remember the days when the Raiders would grab a player purely based upon his speed? 6 of those 10 played for them.

That's exactly right. It meant he started pro football in October every year.

That's the incredible part IMO. Most guys would need the rest of the season to get into game shape. Bo just stepped onto the field and was good to go.

Without the injury we might be discussing his credentials for the HOF in both sports. He was that good.

ESPN did a great 30 for 30 on him. Seems like, for someone of his athletic ability, a pretty down to earth guy.

Love the run up the wall...

Bo don't know snow. 51-3. 'nuff said.

As Steve O pointed out, his football career ending hip injury occurred the week prior to the AFC Championship game in the win over the Bengals...

Edited by transient

ESPN did a great 30 for 30 on him. Seems like, for someone of his athletic ability, a pretty down to earth guy.

Love the run up the wall...

As Steve O pointed out, his football career ending hip injury occurred the week prior to the AFC Championship game in the win over the Bengals...

I was at that game. Actually I was disappointed Bo was hurt. I REALLY wanted to watch him play. Would have loved to see him play a great game..............in a losing cause !!

EDIT: Yes, that 30 for 30 was outstanding. I'd highly recommend that for anyone if / when it re-airs. Any fan of the game would like this.

jb

Edited by jaybee

That run against the Seahawks where he went up the sideline blowing by a safety who had a 20 yard headstart and the angle to cut him off is still one of the most unbelievable runs I have ever seen...it looked like the safety was running in concrete shoes compared to Bo...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0FGCuqYGI

At 1:02 when they're analyzing the run, do they say "... and there's Marrone out in front..." or am I hearing things? Didn't realize he played for Raiders.

Interesting article:

http://www.armorytra...-kinds-of-speed

Bob hayes was timed at 8.8 for a relay split in the 4 X100yd.they say that was the fastest a man had ever run...but im sure that is pre-roid times.Bolt has run faster and that canadian /jamaican--spacing his name who got popped for roids

Im not sure I have seen anyone on a football field that was faster than deion. bo mighta been as fast once he got going. darrell green could fly.

one of the fastest white football players i have ever seen is Mike Mosley of the Buffalo Bills-whose career was toast at age 26 because of a severe knee injury.

bob Hayes of course was the fastest football player ever if measured by a 100 yd or meter time. problem is there wasnt enough field for a guy like that.

some incredibly fast buffalo bills....OJ,Mosley,Deubenion, JD Hill,Leodis McKelvin.remember oj was part of a world record 4x100 relay team at usc.

I can of 3 guys with Olympic credentials who played in NFL:

Bob Hayes

Renaldo neamaya (sp, too lazy to look him up)

Willie gault

The first 2 were before my time. Gault I saw some with the 85 bears thing, but don't recall being blown away by his speed.

And wasn't James Jett, literally a jet as well?

And wasn't James Jett, literally a jet as well?

Yup...

It was funny because back in those days, every year he Raiders would have a new super fast WR added to the team like Graddy, Brown and Jett and every year the announcers would say how fast they are and this and that, and then they would simply suck because they couldn't play football...LOL

Looking at the stats, Jett didn't exactly suck....he had a pretty decent career, including 2 seasons with 40+ catches and 800+ yards, including one year where he had 12 touchdowns, while averaging a pretty awesome 17.3 yards per reception(65th all time) over his career which lasted a lot longer than I remember...1993 to 2002

He finished with 256 catches for 4,417 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Ron Brown only played one season with the Raiders, he played mostly with the LA Rams, and was mainly a kick returner, although not a very good one other than his first season where he led the league, although he averaged about 25 catches a year for the Rams and a very nice 18.5 yards per reception...

Sam Graddy again was not drafted by the Raiders, but rather by the Broncos, and played 2 years there before being cut and finding himsel with the Raiders...his career consisted of 18 receptions for 477 yards and 3 TDs, and a few kick returns, which he really sucked at, averaging 17 yards per return...

Willie Gault was drafted by and played 5 years for the Bears before having his best season for the Raiders in 1990 with 50 receptions for 985 yards and a 19.7 yards per reception...Gault finished with 333 catches for 6635 yards and a gaudy 19.9 yards per catch in his career with the Bears and Raiders, ranking 13th all time...

Mervyn(Swervyn Mervyn as Berman nicknamed him) Fernandez was another of the Raiders burners during that time...for his career he had 209 catches for 3764 yards, and averaged 18.0 yards per catch...he only played 5 years in the league(NFL Europe player as he came broke into the league at age 28?) and looked like he was going to be an emerging player for them in 1989 when he had 57 catches for 1,069 yards and 9 TDs, but after following it up with a 52 catch 839 yard season, he was out of the NFL after 2 more years...

This concludes the Raiders speed WR trip through memory lane...

Edited by matter2003

Hand timed track events are notoriously inaccurate, due to the reflexes of the guy with the stopwatch. Track times that are hand-timed are considered only to be accurate to the 1/10th of a second and you round up all of the 1/100ths (10.11 hand-timed =10.2).

Though I can't claim to be a skilled analyzer of player skill or abilities....

....it seems to me that Spiller has astonishing acceleration but his top end speed is merely great.

He seems to go from zero to very fast in an instant.....but does not get much faster as he straight-line runs.

Do others see validity in my observations.....or am I mistaken?

Spiller was a Florida state high school champion in both the 100 and 200 meters as well as a member of Clemson's track team in both events. He routinely competed against world-class competition in both events. You can't do that unless you possess top high-end speed. He can run away from most defenders in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Spiller was a Florida state high school champion in both the 100 and 200 meters as well as a member of Clemson's track team in both events. He routinely competed against world-class competition in both events. You can't do that unless you possess top high-end speed. He can run away from most defenders in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

thats not quite that accurate. I ran track with a guy in high school that would run sub 10.60s, was on the state track team and had by far the fastest start of anyone he ran against no matter what level of competition. He was approx 5' 6" tall and his short legs were absolutely amazing at bursts but his top end speed and leg length left him short in the too end. Dare I say that if he was a few inches taller with longer strides he would have run near 10.20s.

I was very deep into track growing up. Ran in WNY section 6 finals in the hurdles myself, had many team mates that were on the state teams and more. I've seen a lot of 100m dashes and I can say you might be right about it in this case but that doesn't mean your right.

That's why Usain Bolt is so dominating, because he's super tall, much longer leg stride than any other sprinter in the track. There's a diagram I saw once that showed that he has less strides in the 100 than all the other sprinters on the track.

Edited by mrags

So, so Bo is faster. This might piss some people here off but...so what?

Pure speed isn't the end all be all. In fact, let's point to what made Spiller great last season: he stopped trying to constantly go to the outside. He got more patient with his blocks, so that once he had an opening he could get that wonderful acceleration.