While I'm ecstatic the pats* got spanked in their own stadium

From March 2012:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--how-did-ray-lewis-go-from-murder-suspect-to-nfl-royalty--201947666.html

So, a lot of people here think they know what happened because of the trial, yet Ray Lewis says differently. Gee, I wonder why?

I think you unfairly paint that quote.... Here is the beginning for context:

"The first night I was in jail, a whisper came to me, and it said, 'Can you hear me now?' " Lewis said. "That's when I knew that no matter where I was, by any means necessary, I had to prove to myself, to my family, to my fans. … I gotta get something done. If y'all [that accused him of murder] are that bold to put my reputation on the line, I'm that bold to fight for it."

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is obvious from watching any interviews with Ray Lewis that he is a violent creep. His "nice guy" act comes across extremely forced, and he isn't real sharp. He is a passionate, violent, football player. Fun to watch on the field, but not someone to look to for spiritual guidance.

I haven't re-researched the case, but....

Tell me you see the irony in this. You haven't researched the case then make a bunch of assumptions then conclude that he must be at fault.

Let me ask:

If you were in a car and two people approached your vehicle, broke a bottle over a friends head, and pulled a friend out of the car, what would you do?

That was THE scenario. These "victims" appear to have been the perpetrators. The actions of lewis and company, while you may not agree with them, are very plausible.

Add to the fact that this situation was the wake up call for Lewis and I really don't know what more people expect. This situation made him get his life in order and become a better person.

Great football player, but as a human being he will always have that tainted murderer or accessory to murder label. If he was truely repentent for his actions, he would have come completely clean and told law enforcement the truth when they were trying to find out what happened outside that night club. Then he and his crew would have paid the price that anyone else involved in a double homicide would have paid.

For those who somehow think justice was served, 2 guys got into an altercation with Ray Ray and his crew and spontaneously sprouted lethal knife wounds and no one was found guilty of wielding the knives.... The families of the victims received and undisclosed settlement; a payoff which reminds me of the blood money payoffs used by some backwards desert country. The NFL back then was really into keeping it's image clean and more than enough money was spread around. How else do you get all three guys involved in the altercation that left two men dead of knife wounds completely off of murder charges.

That NFL approach of doing whatever they could to protect their image seemed to end with the Ray Carruth incident. Where they took a policy of distancing themselves from a player facing serious charges. Maybe there is something about being an NFL defensive player with the first name of "Ray"....

This was not a case of Ray Lewis' innocence being proven in court, just a case of abject failure of the prosecution to prove a case where the circumstantial and eye witness evidence was substantial, but the physical evidence was destroyed and hidden in an obvious cover-up.

Folks can tout his ability on the field and his love of the game, but he is not the kind of man I would want my son to idolize. The game means a lot to me, but not that much.

So many errors:

1. Wasn't murder or accessory he was convicted of obstruction.

2. 3 guys involved were acquitted bc it was deemed to be self defense. Many people get "off" murder charges this way.

3. It was Rae carruth so your ray theory is out...

4. So is it evey time someone is acquitted it was because the prosecution failed not because oh I don't know they were innocent?!?! Or are you sure he was guilty bc the "evidence" is so overwhelming?

5. "Obvious cover up". I'm a conspiracy guy sometimes but what did the ATLANTA da have to gain from helping ray out? Seems the better career move would be to nail the nfl star on murder. Or at least present trumped charges ahem*duke lacrosse*ahem.

Lombardi is quite dead, but if he was still alive and coaching Ray, he would never allow that sh++t to go on.

Not so sure about that. I know a guy who played on the UCLA basketball teams with Bill Walton, when John Wooden was the coach. Wooden is the equivalent of Lombardi as far as stature and disciplinarian and no nonsense and my way or the highway. He wasn't as vocal or tough but he was pretty much the equivalent. The guy I know said that during the Walton years, Walton and pretty much every guy on the team, including himself, smoked weed pretty much every day and pretty much before every game. All day long. They were stoned all the time, and Wooden just looked the other way. He had to. It was somewhat due to the times, but it was also completely against everything Wooden stood for, not to mention illegal.

The fact they won virtually every game during that time was the difference. I think he and Walton only lost one or two games their entire college careers, part of the 88 game win streak UCLA had.

I guess you never played the game for posting this about Ray Ray.

Football is a emotional game played by emotional people. If you dont have a passion for the game you might as well never put on shoulder pads.

Lewis is the reason why the Ravens are who they are. Period. I hope the Bills find a leader like that. Every team needs one.

Yea dude made a mistake that night in Atlanta. But to me he has asked God's forgiveness and it's clear the guy changed his life for the better.

I hope the Ravens win the game and let Ray go out on top. And I love the fact they kicked the Pats out the playoffs. And that Flacco outplayed Brady for the second year in a row in the AFC title game.

The whole thing makes me smile. And tell me you were not routing for the Ravens to win that game.

Lewis sure aint the reason they are in the Super Bowl. He looks slower than Kelvin Sheppard at this point in his career. He really does nothing on the field. And yes football is an emotional game. But his antics have gone from being an emotional leader who plays with great intensity, to a marginal HAS BEEN who tries to turn the football field into a black Baptist church. There are plenty of players who give thanks to God after most pro and college games by gathering in a circle at midfield and saying a prayer. That is respectful, and sends a solid message. What Ray Lewis does is take the emphasis away from his team and puts it all on him. I bet most of the players on the team, especially on offense ignore him at this point. And speaking of leaders, London Fletcher is a great defensive leader for the Redskins who has played almost as long as Ray, (and currently plays at a much higher level) but you don't see him doing some ridiculous chant before and after every game. What are you gonna say about Ray after Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Delaney Walker, Colin Kapernick, et al runs circles around him and by him in two weeks?

Lewis sure aint the reason they are in the Super Bowl. He looks slower than Kelvin Sheppard at this point in his career. He really does nothing on the field. And yes football is an emotional game. But his antics have gone from being an emotional leader who plays with great intensity, to a marginal HAS BEEN who tries to turn the football field into a black Baptist church. There are plenty of players who give thanks to God after most pro and college games by gathering in a circle at midfield and saying a prayer. That is respectful, and sends a solid message. What Ray Lewis does is take the emphasis away from his team and puts it all on him. I bet most of the players on the team, especially on offense ignore him at this point. And speaking of leaders, London Fletcher is a great defensive leader for the Redskins who has played almost as long as Ray, (and currently plays at a much higher level) but you don't see him doing some ridiculous chant before and after every game. What are you gonna say about Ray after Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Delaney Walker, Colin Kapernick, et al runs circles around him and by him in two weeks?

Lol this post makes me laugh.

If you dont realize this is Ray's team I don't know what to tell you. Ray is the Ravens. True he is not the same player he was but he was good enough for 17 tackles vs the Broncos.

Yes him and Ed Reed are past thier prime. Flacco is the best player they have and he is the reason they won these last 2 games. But Ray is the leader of that Team and has been for 17 years now. I strongly doubt that the players are tuning him out. It's the opposite, they know that this is his final run at it has motivated the Team. They are trying to win it for Ray. You be crazy to think otherwise.

And if he speaks for the Lord loudly then I see nothing wrong with . Maybe more people should. Change the name of the team to the Baptist Ravens lol.

As a matter of fact , Fletcher is a minister. Do you hear of him blasting Ray Lewis for how he conducts himself ??

He already signed a deal with ESPN and will probably be one of their more featured analysts. And for good reason. There's talk of him replacing Keyshawn on Gameday.

In the words of another LB... CANT WAIT!

Hope not, Cris Carter needs to go first.

Tell me you see the irony in this. You haven't researched the case then make a bunch of assumptions then conclude that he must be at fault.

Let me ask:

If you were in a car and two people approached your vehicle, broke a bottle over a friends head, and pulled a friend out of the car, what would you do?

That was THE scenario. These "victims" appear to have been the perpetrators. The actions of lewis and company, while you may not agree with them, are very plausible.

Add to the fact that this situation was the wake up call for Lewis and I really don't know what more people expect. This situation made him get his life in order and become a better person.

So many errors:

1. Wasn't murder or accessory he was convicted of obstruction.

2. 3 guys involved were acquitted bc it was deemed to be self defense. Many people get "off" murder charges this way.

3. It was Rae carruth so your ray theory is out...

4. So is it evey time someone is acquitted it was because the prosecution failed not because oh I don't know they were innocent?!?! Or are you sure he was guilty bc the "evidence" is so overwhelming?

5. "Obvious cover up". I'm a conspiracy guy sometimes but what did the ATLANTA da have to gain from helping ray out? Seems the better career move would be to nail the nfl star on murder. Or at least present trumped charges ahem*duke lacrosse*ahem.

So much for my Ray theory - it was tongue and cheek either way.

So 2 unarmed small guys got stabbed to death by three sizable guys (one of them probably an NFL player) and it was self defense....sure.

Not sure who started it, but it is pretty clear how it ended.

I never said that the DA was part of a cover up, but that Ray and his thug friends were; multiple witnesses made the same statement that Ray Ray told everyone in the vehicle that they had to keep their mouths shut and he was found guilty of obstruction when it came to the investigation, also the physical evidence, other than some of the victims blood found in the vehicle, vanished (although there was testimony that the bloody clothes were tossed into a laundry bag and then thrown into a restaurant dumpster that night.

The DA was merely incompetent.

I am kind of dumbfounded that folks would accuse others on this site of being prejudice because some of us believe that Ray Lewis is either a murderer or an accessory to murder - I believe those are just facts; he and his crew were there, they had the altercation with the victims, and fled leaving two guys dying on the ground.

The other fact is that it was a case of black on black violence. So how does sticking up for the victims and their families equate to prejudice? Just because a jury screwed up and he worked the legal system to get off, does not make him innocent of the crime, it makes him someone who is smart enough to get away with one.

I quick internet search turns up these quotes from the families who were obviously closer to the events that we were:

“My nephew was brutally beaten and murdered and nobody is paying for it,” Baker’s uncle, Greg Wilson, told USA TODAY Sports. “Everything is so fresh in our mind, it’s just like it happened yesterday. We’ll never forget this.”

“Every time I see him (Lewis), I think of my nephew,” Lollar-Owens says.

“I’ve seen where he was speaking about family and stuff, and I’m quite sure that every time he sees his son, he thinks about the son, grandson and father that we lost,” Lollar-Owens says. “It would be impossible not to. Never a day goes by that we don’t think about him.”

Greg Wilson-Uncle of Jacinth Baker: I’ll be very upset if they induct (Lewis) into the Hall of Fame. There’s other people out there that committed a lesser crime and they’re sitting in jail.”

Baker, his nephew, “was raised in our home,” Wilson says. “We have no compassion for Ray Lewis, for Art Modell, for any of them. We don’t want to see him.”

Yea, but there's a downside to his game too. And, the Funny thing is Reverend lewis looks like a stud next to Reed. The 9ers will exploit the crap out of those two has beens.