Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

For those who think this kid was "in on it"--why would he let such a hoax end so badly for himself? If he made up the story, surely he would have picked a different ending than one where is publically humiliated, no?

The same reason Lance Armstrong allowed his "empire" to spin out of control. Greed. Vanity. Selfishness. Arrogance. He couldn't help himself. Some people are just sick. Add this kid to the list.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same reason Lance Armstrong allowed his "empire" to spin out of control. Greed. Vanity. Selfishness. Arrogance. He couldn't help himself. Some people are just sick. Add this kid to the list.

There is a huge difference between the two--making them incomparable. People suspected Armstrong for years and the were eyewitnesses to him doping. His denial continued throughout his career until he had to acknowledge what was obvious.

This kid told us his girlfriend died and then told us she apparently never existed. No one suspected anything. He told us.

This kid was duped.

For those who think this kid was "in on it"--why would he let such a hoax end so badly for himself? If he made up the story, surely he would have picked a different ending than one where is publically humiliated, no?

If he was "in on it", he wasn't going to be able to stop the hoax from being discovered.

Deadspin were fishing around the story....well before Te'o told ND.....and before he claims to have been told about it himself.

Still clinging to that T'eo / Notre Dame hatred no matter what, huh?

I can't help but feel bad for this kid. He's either the biggest sucker in modern sports history, and EVERYONE knows about it, or he's the perpetrator of the stupidest hoax in modern sports history. Either way it's utterly humiliating, and if it's the former that's some hard **** to live down in the locker room as suckers don't command much respect, and if it's the latter...well that's just creepy.

Either way, this kid's going to pay a hefty price for what at worst appears to be a mostly victimless crime.

OK, I'm ready for this story to die. Quite simply, I don't care.

No money was scammed. Even if he was in on it from the beginning (which at the moment it doesn't look like it did), he didn't get the Heismann for it. He didn't get any endorsements from it. As far as I can tell, no laws or NCAA rules have been broken.

If we question his character, that's a worthy question. We can also question whether there are holes in his game as seen in the Alabama game. If we have an issue with that, fine. If not, let's move on.

From a purely football standpoint, I'm curious how this affects people's opinion.

Many had suggested taking him so we could get our Ray Lewis, a guy that's not only solid on the field but also the leader of the team/defense. Does anyone think he'll still be able to command the kind of respect necessary to be that guy?

From a purely football standpoint, I'm curious how this affects people's opinion.

Many had suggested taking him so we could get our Ray Lewis, a guy that's not only solid on the field but also the leader of the team/defense. Does anyone think he'll still be able to command the kind of respect necessary to be that guy?

It'll certainly be a challenge. Given the distractions he may get some slack on the bama game too though.

Draft wise I think it nets to a zero (or pretty close to it)

Not a bit. You're wayyyyyy over reacting to this. I can go on and on about how off field issues of far greater severity had no effect on ones standing amongst team mates like .... involvement in double stabbing death, cheating on wife and having kid with mistress, taking PEDs, pleading no contest to spousal abuse, drug abuse .... and all of these happened as a pro. Teo as a 21 year old college student.

If anything it will increase his draft stock because it provides an explanation for the poor BCS showing.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Still clinging to that T'eo / Notre Dame hatred no matter what, huh?

Notre Dame is my favorite college football team.

I think it changes things immensely. He will now bring a media circus to whichever team drafts him. I don't know if the possible positive on-field contributions outweighs the imminent off-field distractions.

I think it changes things immensely. He will now bring a media circus to whichever team drafts him. I don't know if the possible positive on-field contributions outweighs the imminent off-field distractions.

Lol like a story that's not even a week old and people are saying they're sick of already will bring a "media circus" when camp starts in august. He said what he's going to and needs to, this renaiah guy will be fully out by then. Nothing more to the story. And as if there won't be anything else of interest like RG3's knee, tebow, jets continued antics and meltdown, mannings 2nd season back, new coaches, player changes , return of Payton to saints, and plenty of other stuff

Notre Dame is my favorite college football team.

No way it'll be a circus. People are already growing tired of the story now that they can't tear him to shreds.

Not a bit. You're wayyyyyy over reacting to this. I can go on and on about how off field issues of far greater severity had no effect on ones standing amongst team mates like .... involvement in double stabbing death, cheating on wife and having kid with mistress, taking PEDs, pleading no contest to spousal abuse, drug abuse .... and all of these happened as a pro. Teo as a 21 year old college student.

If anything it will increase his draft stock because it provides an explanation for the poor BCS showing.

I don't know if this was a response to my question, but assuming it was, the issue is a lot different here. It's not a matter of whether players can respect someone who did a bad thing, it's a matter of being able to respect someone who appears weak. Being involved in stabbings, getting strange, etc. may cast one's character in a negative light, but don't necessarily imply the kind of weakness that this situation does.

Edited by Rob's House

No way it'll be a circus. People are already growing tired of the story now that they can't tear him to shreds.

Exactly. These celeb downfall stories only have legs to the extent the downfall is heading for a hard landing. This isn't Tiger or Lance or Bonds. It isn't even in the same universe. Other than ESPN having nothing else to talk about on draft day, this will be old news by then and almost completely forgotten by the time training camps open.

Few rookies are true leaders in the NFL (very few if they don't play QB), so that is not a role anyone will expect T'eo to be ready to shoulder in September. Of course we'll hear all about him if the Bills take him, but otherwise he'll fade into the background like 95% of the rookies on the other 31 teams until he establishes himself in the league.

Did I miss some important piece of information that supports T'eo?

This article suggests he is far from being unshredable.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/20/3896486/manti-teo-hoax-notre-dame-investigation

The investigation ordered by Notre Dame was limited to the electronic search, [Notre Dame spokesman Dennis] Brown said. Investigators did not interview Te'o or his family, nor did anyone attempt to contact Ronaiah Tuiasosopo or any of his relatives.

In response to questions, university officials said the investigators did not examine cell phone records, e-mails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te'o's communication over the past few years with the person claiming to be Lennay Kekua....