Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Weird? Sure.

Rare? Somewhat but does happen more than you think.

Too dumb to play football? Absolutely not.

I guess I'm calling you out on this a little bit here.....but mainly I am honestly curious.

You have stated the above several times in this thread, that it is a fact that catfishing is relatively common place and is often as elaborate as the Te'o situation.

Each time you have declared this I have endeavored internet searches to try and find examples for myself. Apart from the movie/TV show I have been unable to find any.

Regardless of the possible(likely) situation that the movie was a setup, it seems that all of the examples in the TV show(& movie) are quite basic situations. One (lonely or ill?)person pretends to be someone different. This concept is IMO entirely believable....and is very believable that people will fall for this(for a time).

If you have some sort of link or reference to a catfishing example where there was a small cadre of people doing the fishing....and committing the same level of dedication and time as in the T'eo case....could you please link it as to me the concept is still totally unbelievable.

On a side note, I personally would believe his story regardless of the above if he shows somebody proof of the nightly 8 hour phone conversations. At this point it could still be an elaborate ruse on his part that was conducted with the help of a friend.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he should sue the crap out of this guy who did it. He played poorly in the most important game of his life. He was publicly humiliated and could slip in the draft costing him millions of dollars. All of this because some sick sick waste of breath thought it would be funny to humiliate a good trusting Christian Mormon young man and didn't know when to quit. I hope someone hurts that SOB real bad.

You can file all the lawsuits you want. It comes down to drawing blood from a stone.

Mind you, he's done nothing illegal. But 6-7 different stories tells one something. He's in it up to his eyebrows, is a pub hound, just building his brand and loving every bit of it.

As far as his future in the NFL... well, anyone bearing witness to his ass getting flattened time after time by a running back in the championship game should have an idea. We ain't talking about an average performance here, we're talking about a horrendous one. At best, he'll be average at the next level.

It still seems incomprehensible that Te'o wasn't involved. If he truly was innocent I don't know what the endgame was for the perps. Furthermore, he must be the most gullible guy in a high-profile situation to ever come down the pike. There is no way, if I was a GM, that I'd spend a 1st Rd pick on him. How soon would it be before the next phone girlfriend had him reading the playbook to her?

Agreed and agreed.

I think he should sue the crap out of this guy who did it. He played poorly in the most important game of his life. He was publicly humiliated and could slip in the draft costing him millions of dollars. All of this because some sick sick waste of breath thought it would be funny to humiliate a good trusting Christian Mormon young man and didn't know when to quit. I hope someone hurts that SOB real bad.

To sue means he would have to provide evidence. It's possible that some of this evidence would not support his version of events.

You can file all the lawsuits you want. It comes down to drawing blood from a stone.

It also comes down to a burden of proof.

At worst a lawsuit could open this issue up for greater damage to Te'o.

At best a lawsuit might get blood from a stone.

I doubt he'll sue both because of what I've written above, but also because it would run contrary to the values that Te'o espouses. He's largely succeeded in putting out a fire.

Why pour gasoline on it when it's still smoldering?

No, I'd say 80% of those who now know Catfish did not know it a few days ago, including me.

I had seen the word Catfish and mention of the show on twitter previously, but I thought it was a reality show similar to that Hillbilly Fishing show.

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo -- the man who allegedly spearheaded the hoax on Notre Dame football star Manti Te'o -- has finally come out of hiding ... surfacing at his family home in Palmdale, CA on Saturday evening ... TMZ has learned

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/19/manti-teo-scandal-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-surfaces-hoax-photo/#ixzz2IV4EYqWi

http://tmzstore.com

Really, 48 pages of this bad soap opera crap? ppl are really bored, should merge it with last post wins.

I agree. Boring thread. Who cares about his dumb fake dead B word. Lets talk football. It will affect his draft rating because it shows he's as nieve as a college freshman. Outta all the females he picked one he never saw or met in person. He's a fake publicity seeker. Point blank

I agree. Boring thread. Who cares about his dumb fake dead B word. Lets talk football. It will affect his draft rating because it shows he's as nieve as a college freshman. Outta all the females he picked one he never saw or met in person. He's a fake publicity seeker. Point blank

What do you want to talk about ? if you have a good Football subject post a thread, if its good it will draw interest

Interesting some of you don't care yet you a) opened the thread and b) posted in it.

Anyway, for those that are interested (whether you admit it or not), I just watched the film documentary "catfish". Don't know how much it parallels Renaiah's motivation since he hasn't spoken publicly , but I'd highly recommend it. Suspenseful, informative,, a bit spooky, and kinda sad.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If you think about it, we are putting more shame on player who got scammed then Players who have did Drugs & Raped & Murdered Others, maybe we should take a look at our morals

Edited by Hater