Chip Kelly Hired as New Eagles Head Coach

Not lazy. Spurrier was also regarded as an innovator in college who would bring his "fun and gun" game to the pros. It didn't happen.

The Petrino reference was comparing Petrion's bolting from Louisville to the Falcons and back to the college before the end of the season. Given Kelly's very public vacillation between staying in Oregon, leaving for the NFL, then staying in Oregon, then leaving for the NFL--I thought the possibility that Kelly could pull a Petrino was possible, and the comparison was therefore obvious.

I see no evidence so far that Kelly is "infinitely smarter" than Spurrier.

It is like saying, "Doug Flutie didn't make it in the NFL, therefore Russell Wilson will fail too." Spurrier and Kelly are completely different people, completely different coaches, and use completely different systems. And, oh yeah, Spurrier was hired by the Redskins 11 years ago. I think it's safe to say that the NFL has changed enormously in that time.

Edited by mannc

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never understand how a successful HC at a major university leaves for the NFL. He was set for life at Oregon, and worshipped. He'll be hated in Philly in what, 8 moths? Maybe 9.

As others said - sanctions. As long as you (nearly have to) run a dirty program to be successful, you'll always have an expiration date on your stay.

It is like saying, "Doug Flutie didn't make it in the NFL, therefore Russell Wilson will fail too." Spurrier and Kelly are completely different people, completely different coaches, and use completely different systems. And, oh yeah, Spurrier was hired by the Redskins 11 years ago. I think it's safe to say that the NFL has changed enormously in that time.

True but college is a much different animal and Kelly has never coached at the NFL level. Kelly inherited a top 10 and had Nike to get recruits there. You can't recruit in the pros. Also, you're a king in college and can do whatever you want. Personally, it doesn't seem like his heart is totally in it. And Philly is probably the worst sports city in the world.

I think it is funny that some piss on the Kelly hire but at the same time praise the Morrone hiring.

They are both guys moving from the kiddie table to the big one. Kelly had the better results in college and arguably is inheriting the better players in Philly.

As fans we get to sit back and see how it unfolds. Enjoy the ride!

Edited by CodeMonkey

i think it has more to do with how chip kelly did it this year...and last year...also i think Kelly, much like Pete Carroll are more of a novelty act, the way they ran their 'wild west' offenses...those aren't how 'things are done' in the NFL....maybe times are changing...but i don't think the bashing is based on our college coach is better than your college coach..course i could be wrong....

I think it is funny that some piss on the Kelly hire but at the same time praise the Morrone hiring.

They are both guys moving from the kiddie table to the big one. Kelly had the better results in college and arguably is inheriting the better players in Philly.

As fans we get to sit back and see how it unfolds. Enjoy the ride!

Kelly comes off like a complete douche. Imagine being a Ducks fan - 1st he's killing you because he's leaving, then you survive the night of the long knives and are relieved because he's staying - only to have him stab you in the back now at the 11th hour. Seems like a no-class egotist - in hindsight, glad he's not here.

Nick Saban in reverse.

Yes, different guys/systems/etc...but each viewed as an innovator in college bringing a gimmicky offense to the NFL. There is nothing in Oregon's offense that every HC and OC in the NFL hasn't seen before. The league hasn't changed that much that Chip Kelly is going to turn it all on its head. Hence, I don't think he'll have any more of an impact than the many college coaches before him have.

It's about time an Irish American was named head coach. The lack of Irish coordinators on the Bills really upsets me.

I thought the Rooney Rule was supposed to address this...

It's about time an Irish American was named head coach. The lack of Irish coordinators on the Bills really upsets me.

I felt the same way about the Chudzinski hiring and Polish Americans. Totally misrepresented at the NFL coaching ranks.