Jadeveon Clowney - DE - University of South Carolina

Guest BlackBenny

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You said he could be "The Next Bruce Smith". Own your words.

I may have mastered the obvious, but you're far from such simple mastery yourself, apparently.

No, BlackBenny actually wrote "He was the top rated recruit coming out of high school. They are saying he is the best DL prospect they have seen since Bruce Smith."

Hey, if you're going to claim to be the smartest man in the room, make sure we understand it's your bedroom you're talking about. You sure didn't come off as the smartest man in this case.

Edited by Dopey

No, BlackBenny actually wrote "He was the top rated recruit coming out of high school. They are saying he is the best DL prospect they have seen since Bruce Smith."

Hey, if you're going to claim to be the smartest man in the room, make sure we understand it's your bedroom you're talking about. You sure didn't come off as the smartest man in this case.

No, he actually wrote it in the !@#$ing thread title. You know, the very first thing you see describing what is contained in the thread? Yeah, that.

Furthermore, whoever "they" is said he was the best college defensive end prospect since Bruce Smith (Which I find to be more than a bit dubious of a claim, as talent evaluating was nearly as rigerous of a process in the mid-1980's as it is now.), not the next Bruce Smith.

As I said in my first post in this thread, a skills based comparison may be apt, as Clowney looks like he'll project into a very good professional. However actually calling him the "next Bruce Smith" is more than a bit of a leap, as he would have to be considered one of the all-time greats at his position to justify that kind of praise.

He's good, but mostly a product of Kelly's system at Oregon. I'd consider other options before Mariotta.

Not true at all. Kelly's system is a "run first" offense and the Ducks have no game-breaking receivers. If anything, Mariotta would be even better in a pro-style offense like what USC runs. He is 6'4", has a great arm, runs a 4.5 and has all the intangibles.

• 5 weeks later...

South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will undoubtedly purchase an insurance policy to protect him against a catastrophic injury during a college football season that will do nothing to improve his draft stock for 2014.

if it were my son.....i would tell him to sit out the year and prepare for the combine , thereby significantly reducing the risk of injury.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/13/clowney-will-try-to-buy-insurance-against-a-serious-injury/

South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will undoubtedly purchase an insurance policy to protect him against a catastrophic injury during a college football season that will do nothing to improve his draft stock for 2014.

if it were my son.....i would tell him to sit out the year and prepare for the combine , thereby significantly reducing the risk of injury.....

http://profootballta...serious-injury/

... Thereby seriously reducing his draft status.

http://profootballta...serious-injury/

Football players play the game. If Clowney sat out, by next April there would be other great prospects more than likely who would take over the top spots. And the question would be if Clowney could still play at the same level after missing so much game action. The next question would be if he really loves football or is just in it for the money? He would be described as selfish for leaving his teammates at South Carolina in the lurch for his own personal gain. His draft stock would be damaged to a degree and his reputation would too, most likely by the same bloggers who suggest he sit out. None of that is worth sitting out a year. It's ridiculous to even posit the idea.

Edited by purple haze

If you're passionate about the game and you love playing it, you dont sit out a year just to avoid injury.

yes and no.

he will play, but the thought of passing on less than a dozen games for a team thats not a championship contender to eliminate the risk of losing millions of dollars..... theres a reason people are discussing it.