Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody remember this? http://www.tbd.com/a...ysis-49871.html

On Wednesday, Redskins Owner Daniel Snyder filed suit (PDF) against Washington City Paper and its ownership for the "lies, half-truths, innuendo and anti-Semitic imagery" that have allegedly appeared in the weekly paper and its website of late

Snyder is an idiot and a bleeping hypocrite.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40063/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Personally, I'm much more offended by the Cleveland Indians logo than the DC team's.

two wongs don't make a wite.

the university of illinois teams (fighting illini, named after an indian tribe) had a native american as their mascot (chief illiniwek) since the late 20's. it was basically an exhibit of native american culture yet was banned recently. what on earth is the BFD? (despite the fact that the last mascot was an anglo grad student).

we are slowly becomming a nation of homogen-ohs. bland creme colored people with no identity or distinction. BTW, are they referred to as native canadians north of the border? or native north americans that eat kraft north american cheese?

has anyone ever been to a modern day reservation? matbe they should change the name to the washington liquored up looters.

should they change the name of people that sell tickets higher than face value?

two wongs don't make a wite.

the university of illinois teams (fighting illini, named after an indian tribe) had a native american as their mascot (chief illiniwek) since the late 20's. it was basically an exhibit of native american culture yet was banned recently. what on earth is the BFD? (despite the fact that the last mascot was an anglo grad student).

we are slowly becomming a nation of homogen-ohs. bland creme colored people with no identity or distinction. BTW, are they referred to as native canadians north of the border? or native north americans that eat kraft north american cheese?

has anyone ever been to a modern day reservation? matbe they should change the name to the washington liquored up looters.

should they change the name of people that sell tickets higher than face value?

You're making several points here but there seems to be a bit more rage than reason.

The Washington Liquored Up Looters?

Two wongs don't make a white?

I feel that the world has become over sensitive. It's people getting offended by words that give those words power. But, we can't be sensitive towards one group and not to another. If it such a big deal then Washington should change the name.

It should probably be changed and this debate has been going on a long time, it is insensitive, but the team name has a long tradition and this controversy was debated for the 20 years I lived there at varying levels of intensity.

However, the Washington Bullets changed their name impart because for a while during the crack scurge, DC was known as the murder Capital of the US and the name Bullets seemed to only encourage the behavior so why not let the name go... Just my op.

Come up with a decent alternative and get 'er done...

Edited by North Buffalo1

Bigot: A person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Thanks to the overuse of this word, and the R word, it has no real meaning anymore.

It's wrong no matter how many people say they don't want it changed. Even if nothing changes, it's still wrong.

That's your opinion... cool... I understand. However, to throw around "bigot" and "stupid" isn't exactly the way to proving any kind of point.

You're making several points here but there seems to be a bit more rage than reason.

The Washington Liquored Up Looters?

Two wongs don't make a white?

no rage whatsoever- just lame attempts at satire that should just fade into the sunset like on those old wild wild west movies. when is the first preseason game?

…. the Washington Bullets changed their name impart because for a while during the crack scurge, DC was known as the murder Capital of the US and the name Bullets seemed to only encourage the behavior so why not let the name go... Just my op.

Come up with a decent alternative and get 'er done...

I agree. Strong point that it was another sports team in the same city that instead of being obstinate, just simply did the right thing.

Too many stubborn, divisive people taking up for the wrong causes in this country. Let's agree on the little stuff and then try to hash out the REAL DIFFERENCES. This country has always been about compromise. The polarization of America is sad and detrimental.

Idiots on both sides being stubborn for no good reason.

no rage whatsoever- just lame attempts at satire that should just fade into the sunset like on those old wild wild west movies. when is the first preseason game?

Sorry. I missed the satire.

It all makes perfect sense now.

That's your opinion... cool... I understand. However, to throw around "bigot" and "stupid" isn't exactly the way to proving any kind of point.

Fair enough. If you don't see what's wrong with an NFL team using a racial slur to describe a race of people that the US committed genocide against as its nickname then at best you're ignorant, and at worst you're willfully so.

Fair enough. If you don't see what's wrong with an NFL team using a racial slur to describe a race of people that the US committed genocide against as its nickname then at best you're ignorant, and at worst you're willfully so.

It makes some people happy to be defiant against obvious wrongs. Many secretly seem to feel that the "white man" is slowly having his privileged position in society eroded, so they resist changing what is obviously a derogatory name. Sad really.

Are you talking about the Redskins or the Patriot's. The US government loves the Patriot's of the TeaParty.

YOU say it is a racial slur... a small minority says that. That does not make it so, and explains why a majority says it isn't a big deal.