Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

Since Daniel Snyder loves the tradition of Racism, How about Washington Kikes to "honor" his Jewish religion. Bet that would really go really well. :rolleyes:

you compare that term to redskins? there are different opinions on whether "redskin" is offensive based on a cross section of surveys , but the term you referred to regarding jewish religion is very offensive, in my opinion. Edited by dwight in philly

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that people like yourself are just as bad don't you? Of course as a white man (assuming), the name Redskins doesn't affect you. But obviously it bothers others. And guess what if Irish people didn't like the name fighting Irish? They have everything right to try and change it as well.

Sure, the world gets a little crazy with the PC so. At the same point, it makes me ill that some people can't envolve in 2013. Like 50 years, we had races separated. 70 years ago, people were putting other people in ovens. People who cling to this idea of America is getting too PC are just as bad as the folks who jump down everyone throats about every off color joke that is made.

My solution is get a representation of Native America groups and leaders to vote on whether to keep the name. And I'd love for someone to go to a reservation and call someone a redskin.

But this "tyranny by minority" is getting in the way of my good ol' regular tyranny! :rolleyes:

There is no logic in the opposing argument. Just spoiled juveniles upset that they cant get their way 100% of the time.

Eventually the so-called offensive language, names, and other aspects of society will be so filtered and or/removed that any assemblance of free speech in this country will cease to exist. That is tyranny by the minority, and that is why I am so against the Redskins changing their name or it even being an issue. Political correctness has gone so overboard it is ludicrous...

Yeah, if everyone stopped saying things people thought were racist, sexist etc., what on earth would there be to talk about? That does sound like the tyranny of the minority. Do people really think the things you do and say are so non-PC it gets in the way of having a satisfying life? Remind me not to invite you over for Thanksgiving dinner even if we do bond over Bills football....

just by the fact some native americans have gone on record as saying it is not offensive, i have yet to hear a person of the jewish faith endorse "kikes"

how many native americans have you asked? and how many jewish people have you asked?

Yeah, if everyone stopped saying things people thought were racist, sexist etc., what on earth would there be to talk about? That does sound like the tyranny of the minority. Do people really think the things you do and say are so non-PC it gets in the way of having a satisfying life? Remind me not to invite you over for Thanksgiving dinner even if we do bond over Bills football....

:thumbsup:

how many native americans have you asked? and how many jewish people have you asked?

me? i have asked none! but, get this, i have actually read articles, stuff in publications, that said that, difficult comprehension i know, but if you look, you might find that.. stick to shooting your mouth off Edited by dwight in philly

1 and he was cool with it.

Seriously, it's comical how terrible of a name it is. For the Pc folks, complain about Syracuse becoming the Orange. That's a better argument. But St. John's switched from the Red Men to the Red Storm.

me? i have asked none! but, get this, i have actually read articles, stuff in publications, that said that, difficult comprehension i know, but if you look, you might find that.. stick to shooting your mouth off

There may be some Native Americans that aren't very offended by the term, but the great majority are. I doubt you'll find any that are "honored" by the term given the historically derogatory meaning.

me? i have asked none! but, get this, i have actually read articles, stuff in publications, that said that, difficult comprehension i know, but if you look, you might find that.. stick to shooting your mouth off

Link to any article that took a poll of Native Americans and Jewish folk?

There may be some Native Americans that aren't very offended by the term, but the great majority are. I doubt you'll find any that are "honored" by the term given the historically derogatory meaning.

so be it, but to compare kikes to redskins is a stretch to make a point.

Link to any article that took a poll of Native Americans and Jewish folk?

why?

That is your opinion. They are both racial slurs and derogatory terms.

why?

YOU made the statement that they are different, so back it up! Or was it "just shooting your mouth off"?

I have to say that i'm pretty indifferent on the situation. I do see the point that Redskins is a generalized term and not to be classified the same as say Blackhawks.

While I don't care if the name stays the same, I do care if they change to name to something stupid. I heard someone mention the Red Hawks, and at first I thought, that's actually not to bad, until the person answered the question in my mind of " are there red (tailed) hawks in dc?". The Red Hawks being the African American pilot group, an while that was fine, i disliked the whole black pride approach. It just sounded like he wanted to trade one race for another, but I digress.

Didn't read all the pages of posts but.... why the hell are they not just go with "The Hogs"? I feel like it would not upset any group, and it has team history linked to it.

All in favor of The Washington Hogs and all of their cheerleaders can be Pigglets ( the cross dressers in the stands can stay the hoggets)

why?

It's no stretch IMO. I know the term I used is offensive, but I used it to make the point of the rampant hypocrisy that I see with regard to this issue.

I have to say that i'm pretty indifferent on the situation. I do see the point that Redskins is a generalized term and not to be classified the same as say Blackhawks.

While I don't care if the name stays the same, I do care if they change to name to something stupid. I heard someone mention the Red Hawks, and at first I thought, that's actually not to bad, until the person answered the question in my mind of " are there red (tailed) hawks in dc?". The Red Hawks being the African American pilot group, an while that was fine, i disliked the whole black pride approach. It just sounded like he wanted to trade one race for another, but I digress.

Didn't read all the pages of posts but.... why the hell are they not just go with "The Hogs"? I feel like it would not upset any group, and it has team history linked to it.

All in favor of The Washington Hogs and all of their cheerleaders can be Pigglets ( the cross dressers in the stands can stay the hoggets)

now you are offending transgendered people