College coaches to the NFL?

Frez

Enlighten me please....

How many college coaches making the transition to the NFL (head coach position) have had success? I'm curious of what to really expect with our new college coaching staff from Syracuse.

Thanks!

Frez :thumbsup:

All the guys mentioned were successful college coaches. What about .500 college coaches moving to the NFL?

....and what about college coaches that had 3 years OC experience in the NFL prior to becoming a college HC?

Other Successful ones:

Jimmy Johnson

Barry Switzer

Other unsuccessful ones:

Steve Spurier

Lou Holtz

Bud Wilkinson

John McKay

Nick Saban

Mike Riley

Butch Davis

Bobby Petrino

Dennis Ericson

Frank Kush

Dick MacPherson (Syracuse)

Rick Brooks

The fail list is impressive. Also important to note is JJ was 1-15 first year with cowboys.

This is one of those questions for which there are an almost infinite number of variables, and I really don't think there's a "cookie cutter" answer other than to say it's very difficult if a coach is coming from college with little or no NFL experience. I would not label Marrone a "college coach" -- he has significant NFL experience as a player, position coach, and coordinator.

I never understand why we keep asking this question. There isn't anything that can be learned. The fact is coaches fail in groves coming from everywhere. There's only one true formula : Get an excellent QB, a competent coach, and hope the chemistry between them is strong.

He has a 50/50 chance of winning a Super Bowl here. He either will or he won't. 2 possible outcomes. I'll take those odds.

Huh?? Throw away your diploma.

This is one of those questions for which there are an almost infinite number of variables, and I really don't think there's a "cookie cutter" answer other than to say it's very difficult if a coach is coming from college with little or no NFL experience. I would not label Marrone a "college coach" -- he has significant NFL experience as a player, position coach, and coordinator.

Well....he was Payton's Modkins in NO.

Well....he was Payton's Modkins in NO.

Since neither of us know what Marrone's exact responsibilities were in N.O., nor what Modkins' role was in Buffalo, I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. The only thing we are certain of is that neither called the plays on gameday. I also think we can agree that Payton > Gailey.

I never understand why we keep asking this question. There isn't anything that can be learned. The fact is coaches fail in groves coming from everywhere. There's only one true formula : Get an excellent QB, a competent coach, and hope the chemistry between them is strong.

That's true for every winner there will be multiple losers. Reason being the winners tend to stay in their jobs a lot longer. Bills have had something like 4-5 coaches since bellichik took over in NE.