Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

Sorry, just thinking back to the comments I saw from some Miami players when NE beat them the same way a few weeks back.

I know which comments you're talking about. :) They were frustrated. They also said this:

http://www.palmbeach...unce-bac/nTPgC/

“It is disrespectful,” tackle Randy Starks agreed, “but you’ve got to stop it. We never stopped it, so I’d keep running the same play, too.”
Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackett seems like a kid who ought to be playing football somewhere, not coaching it. Is he too young?

Some guys have become Head Coaches at similar ages.

Mike Tomlin... 34

Bill Cowher... 34

Al Davis... 32

Jon Gruden... 34

Mike Shanahan... 35

John Madden... 32

I think Cowher became a DC at 32. Gruden became an OC at the same age. Hackett is 33.

Hackett seems like a kid who ought to be playing football somewhere, not coaching it. Is he too young?

Mike Tomlin... 34

Bill Cowher... 34

Al Davis... 32

Jon Gruden... 34

Mike Shanahan... 35

John Madden... 32

I think Cowher became a DC at 32. Gruden became an OC at the same age. Hackett is 33.

Question asked....then answered.

But even as you said, there has to be some variation and disguise, whether it's changing the formation or motion or whatever. I just hope the offense isn't going to be too predictable.

I'd assume he's going to have more plays then your early 90s game of tecmo.

You can run the same 20 plays out of 10 different formations and personnel groupings and have a simple playbook that also has 200 plays. Throw in a couple unique ones each week and your golden.

It's in fact very common in the nfl.

Mike Tomlin... 34

Bill Cowher... 34

Al Davis... 32

Jon Gruden... 34

Mike Shanahan... 35

John Madden... 32

Cowher also played in the nfl, coached in the nfl before.... Tomlin was a position coach for several years in the pros..... Hackett has a pro in his column growing up around it for sure, it's good he called plays at Syracuse.... But no one on our staff so far has real nfl offensive play calling experience. That's a risk. Doesn't mean it fails but it is legit to point out that an established nfl guy might have been a nice asset to the team.

Heck, half those guys got their first shot before Hackett was potty trained! Hopefully we got a good one. There are reasons to believe he succeeds, reasons to worry.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't think there's a ton to worry about as far as age. Life experiences (such as growing up with an NFL coach as a father) can make you wise beyond your years. IIRC, I read somewhere earlier that Brian Schottenheimer and Kyle Shanahan both got OC gigs in their early 30s as well. Not to mention obviously Josh McDaniels in NE.

A thing that could be worrisome is his age in relation to players, but when you look at the Bills roster, its very young. The oldest offensive players are Freddie (31), Fitz and Pears (both 30). On defense, Kelsay is 33, McGee 32, Wilson and Barnett 31 and Kirk Morrison is 30. Only player on the roster older than Hackett is Lindell at 35. It could actually be an asset--he could be seen as more approachable because of the small age difference.

Finally, if you have a poisonous player, THAT'S when you worry about the age becoming a negative factor. Using the players' veteran/older status as leverage over the coordinator.

Just saw the sitdown interview with Chris Brown.

This guy is pretty mature for 32 years old. He seems very well grounded and extremely intelligent.

The coaching staff might end up sucking but it's refreshing to me at least that the Bills coordinators are guys who can articulate thoughts in complete sentences without hemming and hawing and stammering.

Wanny was a disaster in front of a microphone and I have no recollection of ever seeing Curtis Modkins or George Edwards in front of a microphone.

Is there a correlation between intelligence, the ability to speak coherently, and the ability to coordinate an NFL team?

The NFL should impose a minimum age of 40 for coordinators, and 35 for assistants.

These young guys just make it really difficult for veteran coaches to get jobs in the NFL.

Like everything in life, job promotion should be merit-based IMO.

What form that takes is the hard thing to figure out.

But some coaches are just long term placeholders.

My hopeful thought about the Bills coordinators (particularly Hackett) is that their relative lack of playing experience (they both played collegiately) is somewhat offset by their impressive coaching pedigrees.

Pettine's dad is one of the most legendary high school coaches in football-crazed Pennsylvania.

Hackett's dad spent 40+ years as a coach including 23 years in the NFL.

Both of these guys are football junkies.

if buddy can hack it then nathan can hack it

yes that the second time ive used that joke

yes i am indeed concerned about a 33 yo oc. for the time being im hoping his father beat the concepts so into his head that hes advanced beyond his years in schemes

but ive heard that before so show me the fn baby

I was surprised by the hire and am still a bit worried by it, but really, it's not the age so much, it's that his NFL experience is as a quality control coach. If he had put in a year or two as a QB or other position coach, then went on to be a college OC, I probably wouldn't have the same reservations. And from what he discussed during his interview with Chris Brown, he took on some QB coaching duties with the Bills in his earlier stint since AVP ended up the OC.

All of which is to say, I still have some reservations based on the length of his resume (not his age) but not by all that much. And I hope that his energy (and the energy of the whole staff at this point, really) will transfer to the players and offset whatever issues may arise due to inexperience.

Mike Tomlin... 34

Bill Cowher... 34

Al Davis... 32

Jon Gruden... 34

Mike Shanahan... 35

John Madden... 32

You just had an entire conversation with yourself.

if buddy can hack it then nathan can hack it

yes that the second time ive used that joke

yes i am indeed concerned about a 33 yo oc. for the time being im hoping his father beat the concepts so into his head that hes advanced beyond his years in schemes

but ive heard that before so show me the fn baby

Paul Hackett:

Wasn't he not totally successful as a coach? I don't remember all his stops and its sometimes hard to place how successful the chiefs offense was in 1994 off the cuff (i didnt watch near as much those days honestly) but.... Wasn't Paul Hackett fired from USC for consecutive losing seasons in his 2nd and 3rd year with each year getting worse, fired from the jets after that for play calling issues, i see he was 13-20 as a HC at Pitt.... Obviously some success mixed in too I assume but... It's often tossed around that he's a son of a coach, but how good of a coach was his dad? Just wondering from those that may be more familiar with his rep. Did he have any particularly identifying philosophies that he may have passed down for instance?

Edited by NoSaint

The thing I want to know is are we going to confuse the defense with motion. It is a lot harder to confuse an NFL defense so I hope our young college pup with the help of Marrone can learn to disguise intentions and not give away what we are going to run. I read somewhere they used very little motion at SU. I also am afraid that he will continually call the same play if it works. NFL defenses are to sophisticated to fall for the same plays like he did against WV.

Actually that is not true. In the NFL, if you find a successful play, teams will repeatedly use it until the opponent(s) can stop it. That is what good teams do. Look at NE. Their bread and butter throws are the quick slants to Welker and Gronowski. They will run those plays until someone can stop that. Football is football at any level. You line them up and play man-on-man and if your man can consistently beat his assignment, teams will continue to make the same play. Even Gailey ran the screen so many times because it was successful with Spiller as the Catcher.

Mike Tomlin... 34

Bill Cowher... 34

Al Davis... 32

Jon Gruden... 34

Mike Shanahan... 35

John Madden... 32

33 is plenty - part of the problem may be that he looks a bit young even for his age.

If he was in his 20's the question would be more interesting.

I thought both his and Pettine's interviews with Chris Brown were very impressive. The more you hear about/from Pettine the better that hire gets - what a coup for the Bills!

Nothing is for certain until they start cranking out NFL wins, but where we are right now I'm extremely satisfied.

Edited by BobChalmers

Mike Tomlin... 34

Bill Cowher... 34

Al Davis... 32

Jon Gruden... 34

Mike Shanahan... 35

John Madden... 32

Other Young HC or Coordinators include, Jeff Fisher, Greg Williams, Kyle Shanhan, Josh McDaniesl, O'Brien, Perry Fewell

Actually that is not true. In the NFL, if you find a successful play, teams will repeatedly use it until the opponent(s) can stop it. That is what good teams do. Look at NE. Their bread and butter throws are the quick slants to Welker and Gronowski. They will run those plays until someone can stop that. Football is football at any level. You line them up and play man-on-man and if your man can consistently beat his assignment, teams will continue to make the same play. Even Gailey ran the screen so many times because it was successful with Spiller as the Catcher.

True. if you wanted Chip Kelly, that's what he does, too. Runs the same play over and over and over. Two schools of thought on that, but it's known to work.