Leodis: keep him or not?

I think one of the more interesting developments of this off-season is going to be what the new staff sees in players currently on the roster, especially those headed for free agency. Placing value on some of these guys will be easy- Byrd, Levitre, for example.

I think McKelvin represents one of the bigger challenges for the front office and Marrone because the talent is obviously there. He can run with anyone, but his ball skills are horrible and his ability to learn and adapt is really in question. What do you guys think? Will the team hold onto him, hoping he can really be molded into a great #2 CB now that some coaches of good pedigree are here to help? Will they balk at anything but nickel-corner money with a little premium paid for his return skills? I think we've all presumed he's gone after a decent season given the market and the fact that be hasn't really delivered on the promise of his draft position. Maybe Ron Brooks is ready. But I wonder if Pettine and O'Neil might have other ideas...

What do you think will happen, and what would you do? If you know of replacements out there that you think the Bills might consider, throw their names out there, too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to keep him for his ST ability alone. But I am interested to find out if he will fare better with a more aggressive style of defense. He may do better in man coverage where his athletic ability is most important rather than a zone scheme where he needs to use his brain to make reads and such. Unless somebody gives him a huge payday, I think he will be back.

I think we need to keep him for his ST ability alone. But I am interested to find out if he will fare better with a more aggressive style of defense. He may do better in man coverage where his athletic ability is most important rather than a zone scheme where he needs to use his brain to make reads and such. Unless somebody gives him a huge payday, I think he will be back.

What price would you put on him? At what point is he too rich for your blood?

yes....maybe with a halfway decent plan on defense.....mck will be ready to roll.

So you think it's more the plan than his abilities or his play? I think we've seen Leodis adhering to the plan pretty well - his coverage is right where it should be, but his hands aren't.

We need several CBs to play in this defense. His ST play is a huge advantage. He also, as you said, may benefit from the new defense. I thought before last year that our pass rush (which never ever materialized) would allow us to find out what kind of talent we actually had at CB. And we never found that out, except for the fact that they cannot cover anyone when QBs have all day to throw and can run at will.

I really hope we keep McLovin.

Keep him.

ST ability is awesome.....and as noted in another thread, he not only improved this year but was statistically rated by PFF as the best CB we had this year. Though I'd be fairly confident that Gilmore will eclipse him in his 2nd year, McKelvin may well improve further under new coaches and become a solid #2 CB.

We need several CBs to play in this defense. His ST play is a huge advantage. He also, as you said, may benefit from the new defense. I thought before last year that our pass rush (which never ever materialized) would allow us to find out what kind of talent we actually had at CB. And we never found that out, except for the fact that they cannot cover anyone when QBs have all day to throw and can run at will.

+1

I think most of us would like to have him back. I think the OP is trying to find out if we want him back compared to what it would cost. My guess is it would be somewhere in the 5-6 million per year range to keep him. Something like 3 years 16-18 million, with 6 million guaranteed.

At that price point I'm on the fense with a slight lean towards letting him go.

Do you guys think my projection is high?

McKelvin is like the "McRib" = every once in a while they re-surface and make a play.

Keep him for Special Teams at least.

Id like to have Leodis back but someone is going to overpay for him so i see him playing somewhere else next year

I don't think anyone is going to overpay a punt returner. And he certainly won't be overpaid as a CB.

This will his 3rd or 4th defense. We're still looking for a starter opposite Gilmore.

As a punt returner, the second half of the season wasn't great for McK--even before he was hurt, his everage had dropped off significantly. His fair catches went up. We dumped the last "greatest PR ever" from this team not long ago and someone simply and easily took his place.

If the Bills really wanted the best returner for the money, they would have Precious... I mean Spiller returning the punts. It's not like he's going to have many punts to return with this D. They have to make their money back on this kid somehow...

Edited by Mr. WEO