Leodis: keep him or not?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want him back.

Although Leodis doesnt seem like the most intelligent player, i think his biggest problem was coaching.

Our previous coaches did not put our players in a position to succeed. They had a system, they ran it no matter what team we played. It sounds like Marrone and his staff will actually develop gameplans around our personnel and matchups.

I still think he has the tools to be a solid #2/#3 CB. Pay him $5M tops

Edited by MURTR

I don't think anyone is going to overpay a punt returner. And he certainly won't be overpaid as a CB.

This will his 3rd or 4th defense. We're still looking for a starter opposite Gilmore.

As a punt returner, the second half of the season wasn't great for McK--even before he was hurt, his everage had dropped off significantly. His fair catches went up. We dumped the last "greatest PR ever" from this team not long ago and someone simply and easily took his place.

If the Bills really wanted the best returner for the money, they would have Precious... I mean Spiller returning the punts. It's not like he's going to have many punts to return with this D. They have to make their money back on this kid somehow...

Leodis hurt his back with about five games to go in the season. His last 4-5 returns, where he still averaged 11+ yards or so, were while he was already injured. Then he re-injured his groin, which was bothering him the whole second half of the season and why he was listed as probable on the injury reports. The back especially, drastically affected his returns. And yet he still managed to have the best year 18.7 of any NFL player since 1974 when the leader was18.8.

And Spiller, Rogers, Byrd and other guys before and since Roscoe are proof there are not just plug 'n play returners. McLovin is a great returner.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

So you think it's more the plan than his abilities or his play? I think we've seen Leodis adhering to the plan pretty well - his coverage is right where it should be, but his hands aren't.

I think old perceptions of Leodis will never be shaken by many. All of the plays he has made get forgotten, all of the bad ones resonate loudly. He was more than fine in the few games where he did play after aaron williams got hurt.

I hope Mr Marrone can fix AW or ship him out of town asap. I can't watch him with his pants around his ankles anymore.

I was buying all the training camp talk about how well he was covering the slot receiver. It looked that way to me in the preseason games too. He gets beat over the top in the Jets opener and that's the end of seeing him as a DB until Aaron Williams gets hurt. the Bills' D got better when he and Kyle Moore started playing. I'd have liked to see him covering Welker in the first Pats game rather than Justin Rogers. He's kept a good attitude through all this so he's a "keeper" in my thinking.

I would bring him back but if I was him I would want a fresh start somehwere else. He would start over Williams and Brooks. He would start for a lot of other teams as well. The Raiders would probably pay him well. Green Bay needs a DB if Woodson retires.

I think there is a less than 10% chance he stays in Buffalo.

I agree. less is more with the mcrib and with mckelvin.

McLuvin is a huge liability on coverage, this is not going to change. If he hasn't figured it out by now, four years, it's not going to happen.

He is also great on ST.

If you pay for him, you have to use him as a DB, which is going to cost you big time in terms of bad plays, getting toasted.

I think most of us would like to have him back. I think the OP is trying to find out if we want him back compared to what it would cost. My guess is it would be somewhere in the 5-6 million per year range to keep him. Something like 3 years 16-18 million, with 6 million guaranteed.

At that price point I'm on the fense with a slight lean towards letting him go.

Do you guys think my projection is high?

I do. I'd estimate him getting a 3 year at under 10.

I think one of the more interesting developments of this off-season is going to be what the new staff sees in players currently on the roster, especially those headed for free agency. Placing value on some of these guys will be easy- Byrd, Levitre, for example.

I think McKelvin represents one of the bigger challenges for the front office and Marrone because the talent is obviously there. He can run with anyone, but his ball skills are horrible and his ability to learn and adapt is really in question. What do you guys think? Will the team hold onto him, hoping he can really be molded into a great #2 CB now that some coaches of good pedigree are here to help? Will they balk at anything but nickel-corner money with a little premium paid for his return skills? I think we've all presumed he's gone after a decent season given the market and the fact that be hasn't really delivered on the promise of his draft position. Maybe Ron Brooks is ready. But I wonder if Pettine and O'Neil might have other ideas...

What do you think will happen, and what would you do? If you know of replacements out there that you think the Bills might consider, throw their names out there, too.

I think when the question of rather you should keep a player sounds like a reasonable question based on their performance, then I think the you have already answered the question based on all the elements that determine a player's worth. ie: How much does Leodis's contract pay him per year on avg? Has he lived up to the expectations of the contract? For example, if you leased a vehicle ie: Toyota Highlander, and that lease was for $449./month, but you loved the vehicle, it drove smooth, you just did general maintenance and there were no major repairs, and you had the opportunity to add another year on the lease..You would probably give it serious consideration, but if the Toyota was $699./mo. was recalled due to faulty brakes, has been in the shop for repairs multiple times, never quite seemed to have the hp to get up the hills, and for some reason just always seemed to underachieve except in one area where it outperformed the competition and did get the best gas mileage in it's class. (Just like McKelvin has performed excellent on special teams with the occasional fumble 2 yrs ago.) I think you still would look at the overall assessment and look at another option when considering analytics, and cost versus value! This is where I think you conclude that if there is a better option out there, you end your lease and find something else to lease, or in Mckelvin's scenario you release him or trade if possible if there is a someone else you can sign or trade for first. I think it matters too how long he has left on his contract, the risks incurred with a future replacement player (as there are always risks), the age of the players involved, and how it affects the salary cap. This is why General Managers make a good wage, as these are vital decisions that not only affect the potential for releasing, trading, and signing one player, but it also governs the ability to keep your player budget manageable and either increases or decreases your odds of keeping or signing other players. Each move that a team makes is likely to cause a chain reaction of events similar to the domino theory. All moves need to be shrewdly attended to and well thought out. I think in Leodis McKelvin's case, depending on his contract terms..I would give him one more year if it is determined that the coaching was subpar in some way. This means you have to analyze the entire positional performance as well as McKelvin's personal performance and see if there is a team correlation at the position when considering the underachievement of McKelvin. Not just coaching though, but also the defensive philosophy and strategy on game day as well, because there may be a correlation. I don't think this question is a question for the general fan, but I wanted to take 10 minutes out of my busy day to help provide a little insight at all the ramifications that comes with making internal decisions. It is a process, and each player personnel decision should be considered as carefully as the work of a skilled surgeon.

I don't think he is worth more than 4 million a year. I want him but not for 6 or 7 million that i ssimply to much.

I'm right there with you. His ST abilities are a huge bonus but for a former 1st rounder I think he should be contributing more than just on ST and Nickel packages.

Edited by The Wiz