Which Way Will D Go ?

T master

Last year we put Wanny in place b/c of his resume thinking he could turn our D around to be top flight , added Mario via FA & we all know where that went .

Enter our new coach & a D coordinator that has had a top ten D the last 4 years while working for the NYJ, the only thing is is that from what i read he was a 3/4 guy which does that mean we will be going back to that this year ?

Which that is a big question but what i was really wondering about was i have read a post about weather or not to bring back Merriman ? Seeing as he was a 3/4 LB & given the fact that MArio played a LB in the 3/4 scheme they ran in Houston it has been asked if Mario would go back to that position in Pettines D or would he change it to better fit the people he has on the roster & stay with a 4/3 base D ?

My thing is i guess if your line looked like this K. Williams - M. Dareus - A. Carrington for our front 3 could we use effectively M. WIlliams - K. Sheppard - Barnett - S. Merriman as our LB corp in what ever configuration they fit to their strengths & would that work with the players we have ?

We hopefully have a healthy T. Troup coming back which between Dareus 331 lbs & Troup 327 lbs may be able to do a good job at NT if this is the a way that they would go. I can't see Pettine completely going away from what he has been successful at & don't want him to if he can put our D in the top ten.

The year Mario got hurt while playing at the LB position he had 5 sacks in 5 games so it's not like he can't be effective the thing is keeping him happy with what he is doing, it was said that while in Houston & moved to the LB position he was not happy & would play at times with less than full effort.

Just something else to talk about amongst us Bills fans ...

Edited by T master

yeah, I am kind of hoping they don't go 3/4 again. The Jests were 3/4 but generally rushed 4 and ran more of a 4/6 so I don't know, Scott as the thrid safety sounds better than as a LB but is it different?. They have different gap assignments for guys... It is a question I will be interested to see answered by what they do with our personnel, we don't have the LBs, CBs or safeties the Jets do (although even with Jim Leonard (sp?) they did alright and I would like to see Byrd freelance a bit more). I would think that these particular players should be better in the 4/3 and LBs are already a weakness (although maybe we could put Barrnet back in the middle where he didn't suck 2 years ago).

I think the front should be Mario, Dareus, Carrington with KW being a rotational player. As far as I'm concerned, they are starting from scratch at LB. Maybe Bradham can play, but I wouldn't lose sleep over cutting the rest. I think you are going to see Cal Pace in a Bills uniform. Then the rest is up to draft and FA.

They now need a hybrid LB and another Carrington type DE. And, depending on Troupe, another wide body.

Yay, another thread talking about the fear of going back to a 3-4!!! This, despite the fact our new D coordinator coached a team that shows multiple looks and variations on the 46 defense all the time!

And hardly anyone even read your sensible statement, apparently, because they still went on about it after... :wallbash: