Brian Kelly interviews with the Eagles

DPR4444

If this was all about leverage for a pay increase, why the charade?

Couldn't Kelly have sat down with the AD and said,

"The football team surpassed all expectations. No one expected us to be undefeated and ranked number one. We're gonna have another great recruiting class in here and we've brought this program back to national prominence. I feel I deserve a raise. What do you think?"

It seems like he could have taken a different more virtuous approach (this is Notre Dame isn't it?) if this was simply about getting more compensation.

The funds need to be ponied up by someone so a realistic threat of leaving(i.e. an NFL interview) will help a wealthy booster fill the coughers.

I hate Brian Kelly for lying to the ND faithful. That being said I understand the temptation. He is just like Chip no NFL experience at all.

He id known as more of an offensive minded coach yet our offenses were very average these three years. I just don't see why the NFL is interested.

Guys,

Eagles called him and he answered. It is the NFL. Would not any of us at least go hear what the pinnacle company in our profession had to say?

If it was all just a ploy, fine. So what, he is a head coach at one of the most financially stable colleges.

Yes he could have sat down and done it that way. The President or AD would have said we learned from Weiss not to give raises out too soon. Maybe this did happen?

So Kelly went to see what the Eagles had to say. If it nets him another million or two a season for a couple extra seasons great.

ND just got a nice check from the NC Game.

They should spend it wisely.

Guys,

Eagles called him and he answered. It is the NFL. Would not any of us at least go hear what the pinnacle company in our profession had to say?

If it was all just a ploy, fine. So what, he is a head coach at one of the most financially stable colleges.

Yes he could have sat down and done it that way. The President or AD would have said we learned from Weiss not to give raises out too soon. Maybe this did happen?

So Kelly went to see what the Eagles had to say. If it nets him another million or two a season for a couple extra seasons great.

Really. Relax boys--he's not leaving a team with a bigger and more fanatic fan base than the lowly Eagles. He hasn't screwed his recruits like, say, Marrone did.

Brian Kelly claims the ND gig is his dream job. Then he goes and talks to the Eagles. He could have said no thanks and left it at that. Kelly had to go and act like he is parlaying a good run into a chance to get a bigger paycheck elsewhere. College coaches come accross as the least loyal and screw the players, students, alumni, fans and school in the process. Maybe contracts that go from year to year will best for both coaches and schools. It would make the post season prior to recruit signing day extreme interesting.

The funds need to be ponied up by someone so a realistic threat of leaving(i.e. an NFL interview) will help a wealthy booster fill the coughers.

Possibly.

Possibly as atlbillsfan theorized, Kelly asked for a raise from Notre Dame and was declined.

Possibly Kelly has a genuine interest in the Eagles job.

My prediction is Lovie lands on his feet in Philly, I would imagine the Eagles fans would appreciate the know how he would bring to their under performing D. Who am I kidding, Eagles fans won't like anyone they sign.

They could get Santa Claus. Everybody loves Santa!

Guys,

I didn't even think about that NC Game check. The BCS bowl checks usually do nothing for the school, they actually lose money because they eat tickets, and the check gets split among the conference..................Not the case with ND. They must be able to keep that whole thing!

ND loses first recruit due to this crap:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/10/notre-dame-recruits-upset-over-late-flip/1824109/

Don't worry. Like Penn St. and Oregon some wealthy booster will come along and throw a few million his way to keep him at ND and convince Kelly his desire to stay at the school and finish the job. No violation of the sacred NCAA rules here with more or less bribery on one side and extortion on the other. Just make sure no player takes a free stick of gum or a pencil or the NCAA will come down hard on your program with sanctions to protect the non-professional status of college sports. Gotta love it!!

For the record the report of bill O'Brien (penn states HC) getting a raise from a booster has turnd out to be false.

Yet another false report by espn. Just like "chip Kelly to the browns". "Chip Kelley to the eagles" and about 1,000 other stories they have gotten wrong lately.

As someone who loosely follows recruiting, and have followed this kid in particular, he has always been destined for Florida. He originally verbaled to Ohio state, then switched to noter dame because of some crazy sex offender on campus. But I think most people expected him to go to Florida from the start. I don't think the Brian Kelly interview had anything to do with it.

I hate to generalize high school kids, but drama has followed this kid through every step of the recruiting process.

Edited by JimBob2232

It seems like he could have taken a different more virtuous approach (this is Notre Dame isn't it?) if this was simply about getting more compensation.

I like the idea in principle. But then next year the conversation would be different, with the AD reminding the coach about the great recruiting class and wondering why they lost more games including one to a MAC school and didn't get to a BCS bowl in January. Hey coach, can I have some of that money back?

I didn't even think about that NC Game check. The BCS bowl checks usually do nothing for the school, they actually lose money because they eat tickets, and the check gets split among the conference..................Not the case with ND. They must be able to keep that whole thing!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/10/notre-dame-recruits-upset-over-late-flip/1824109/

Are we sure he did not change his mind after seeing the result of the NC Game?

http://www.usatoday....e-flip/1824109/

This is exactly the case, i believe. it is why ND is joining the ACC in everything but Football. And now that they just went to the NC you can bet it will be at least another 5-10 years before they even consider joining a confrence.

Why is this any different then a recruited player deciding after a season or 2 to jump ship to the NFL once they have a chance instead of playing out their time at a college?

If a recruited player can jump ship to the the NFL as soon as thy can, why can't the coach? I'm sure the player didn't say to the coach recruiting them that they were only staying at the school until the first chance they could enter the draft at a decent spot

Why is this any different then a recruited player deciding after a season or 2 to jump ship to the NFL once they have a chance instead of playing out their time at a college?

If a recruited player can jump ship to the the NFL as soon as thy can, why can't the coach? I'm sure the player didn't say to the coach recruiting them that they were only staying at the school until the first chance they could enter the draft at a decent spot

1) Players aren't paid. Kelly is getting millions of dollars off their sweat.

2) If a player wants to transfer, they have to sit out a year. No penalty for a coach.

3) Coaches used to be leaders. I seriously can't stand Kelly. He's all about himself. He just uses these kids for his own personal gain. IMO, that is the opposite of what college sports are supposed to be anywhere, much less ND.

1) Players aren't paid. Kelly is getting millions of dollars off their sweat.

2) If a player wants to transfer, they have to sit out a year. No penalty for a coach.

3) Coaches used to be leaders. I seriously can't stand Kelly. He's all about himself. He just uses these kids for his own personal gain. IMO, that is the opposite of what college sports are supposed to be anywhere, much less ND.

I wasn't talking about players transfering, I was straight up comparing it to jumping to the NFL, like people are mad at Kelly for thinking about doing. Players may not be "paid" in money, but they are being paid in free schooling and being given the chance to showcase themselves for millions in the pros.

The coaches go out and recruit these players to play for their programs, you seem to be fine that the students recruited should be able to leave whenever they want to go to the NFL, yet its not ok for the coach to do the same when they get an opportunity? Seems kind of hypocritical and whiney because you don't want to lose your coach..........

Kelly isn't making "millions off their sweat", he is doing his job, coaching a football team and recruiting kids to the school, and the players aren't going to be making millions off his hard work when they get drafted into the NFL because his coaching helped them out and get the opportunity to play in the big leagues? These kids are using him for their own personal gain too, you think that these kids aren't making their choice to play for the coach and school that gives them the best opportunity to move on to the NFL, just like he is recruiting the best to help him have a successful team to further his reutation and record along with the schools?

I do agree that really it is the opposite of what most feel college sports should be about. But they have become a business to fund schools and their programs, and as a minor league development system for the proffesional sports leagues. They are a stepping stone for these kids to get to the NFL, and for most coaches to get the experience to eventually go on to the NFL too. The Education part of it being a school is minor, and only still exists because they have to in order to justify it being part of a school.